• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Predictions Thread

Athlai

Not Terrible
Winner: NZ - still on
Runner Up: South Africa - still on
Semi finalists: NZ, SA, Aus, Pakistan - I changed this to India instead of Pak after I found out an injury took place, still on
Leading run scorer: Misbah-ul-Haq/Brendon McCullum (sameish number) - McCullum is definitely on, Misbah about 1 in 10000
Leading wicket taker: Morne Morkel - Still on, should have went with Southee
Highest individual innings scorer: Brendon McCullum (against a minnow) - Possible, but Gayle so good
Highest individual innings wicket taker: Morne Morkel - unlikely, 7fer too much I think
Which team will be the biggest disappointment apropos their pre-tourney standing: India - nope
Which team will over achieve apropos their pre-tourney standing: New Zealand - yup
Player of the Tourney: Brendon McCullum - very much on
Player of the Final: Brendon McCullum - still on
Predict an upset in a group stage game: Afghanistan to beat England - England vs. minnow is totally on
Biggest dud player of the tourney: Shane Watson - Ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah babeh
Random prediction: Tom Latham to get less than two games. - definitely happening
A month and a bit on and we have...

morgieb

Winners: Australia - still possible
Runners Up: New Zealand - should make the final at least.
Semi finalists: Australia, New Zealand, England, Sri Lanka - England....oh god. I still think Sri Lanka have the ability to do something.
Leading run scorer: Williamson - not looking great.
Leading wicket taker: Hazlewood - oh dear
Highest individual innings scorer: Finch - he did go big against England, but not big enough in this World Cup.
Highest individual innings wicket taker: Starc - nearly but not quite. Southee will take some beating.
Which team will be the biggest disappointment apropos their pre-tourney standing: India, South Africa - South Africa sort of have, India haven't.
Which team will over achieve apropos their pre-tourney standing: England - oh dear.
Player of the Tourney: Hazlewood - oh dear.
Player of the Final: Faulkner
Predict an upset in a group stage game: Ireland v Pakistan - looking quite possible
Biggest dud player of the tourney: Dhoni - harsh to call him the biggest dud but he hasn't been great.
Random prediction: A Top 8 won't make the quarters. - looking good.
Not great.

Daemon

Winners: Australia [Maybe]
Runners Up: England [Would take a ****ing miracle]
Semi finalists: New Zealand, South Africa [Probably]
Leading run scorer: Warner [Not looking likely, missed out on an easy feast against Bangladesh]
Leading wicket taker: Starc [Missed out on Bangladesh as well. Won't be easy to catch up to Southee]
Highest individual innings scorer: Amla [Nah]
Highest individual innings wicket taker: Starc [ffffuuuu southee]
Which team will be the biggest disappointment apropos their pre-tourney standing: Sri Lanka [Well they nearly lost to Afghanistan so..]
Which team will over achieve apropos their pre-tourney standing: England [lol]
Player of the Tourney: AB de Villiers [It's on]
Player of the Final: Smith
Predict an upset in a group stage game: West Indies lose to Ireland [YESSSS]
Biggest dud player of the tourney: Hafeez [withdrawn]
Random prediction: Ireland miss out on qualification for the next round by NRR [maybe]

Daemon

Winners: Australia [Maybe]
Runners Up: England [Would take a ****ing miracle]
Semi finalists: New Zealand, South Africa [Probably]
Leading run scorer: Warner [Not looking likely, missed out on an easy feast against Bangladesh]
Leading wicket taker: Starc [Missed out on Bangladesh as well. Won't be easy to catch up to Southee]
Highest individual innings scorer: Amla [Nah]
Highest individual innings wicket taker: Starc [ffffuuuu southee]
Which team will be the biggest disappointment apropos their pre-tourney standing: Sri Lanka [Well they nearly lost to Afghanistan so..]
Which team will over achieve apropos their pre-tourney standing: England [lol]
Player of the Tourney: AB de Villiers [It's on]
Player of the Final: Smith
Predict an upset in a group stage game: West Indies lose to Ireland [YESSSS]
Biggest dud player of the tourney: Hafeez [withdrawn]
Random prediction: Ireland miss out on qualification for the next round by NRR [maybe]
Come on AB, give Amla the strike

Burgey

I predict I'm going to get trolleyed at the Aus-SL game on Sunday, and at the semi final later in the month.

Bahnz

Winners: Australia - possible
Runners Up: South Africa - possible
Semi finalists: New Zealand, England - England currently lined up to play India in the QF so not impossible
Leading run scorer: Hashim Amla - definitely possible
Leading wicket taker: Mitchell McClenaghan (somehow) Urgh
Highest individual innings scorer: Virat Kohli (216 v Zimbabwe at Auckland) - possible...
Highest individual innings wicket taker: Dale Steyn - unlikely he'll get 8
Which team will be the biggest disappointment apropos their pre-tourney standing: India - nooooope
Which team will over achieve apropos their pre-tourney standing: England - nooooooope
Player of the Tourney: Mitchell Starc - possible
Player of the Final: Mitchell Starc - possible
Predict an upset in a group stage game: Ireland v WI (though would that even be an upset at this point?) Yup
Biggest dud player of the tourney: Rohit Sharma - been pretty piss poor against the major countries so far
Random prediction: Pakistan to claim that lack of sleep due to continued hassling by local ghosts as the main cause of their QF exit. - dead cert.

halba

just think its a dead heat. all the top 5 favourites seem to be in form. just west indies,england,pakistan, those are not going to win it. i can guarantee it.

its about who is good on the day. hope we can get some nice contests, only been 1 good contest, the nz-aus match.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
just think its a dead heat. all the top 5 favourites seem to be in form. just west indies,england,pakistan, those are not going to win it. i can guarantee it.

its about who is good on the day. hope we can get some nice contests, only been 1 good contest, the nz-aus match.
Oh come on. Pak-Zimbos match was really good too. Two evenly matched minnows

howardj

I predict I'm going to get trolleyed at the Aus-SL game on Sunday, and at the semi final later in the month.
Hard for us Gabba diehards to do the same, given our lean diet of matches

Even our marque game (Australia v Superpower Bangladesh) was taken from us

jonbrooks

Ian Chappell
I remember in the SL vs England game, when SL was going great guns, they put up a poll on whether England would make the quarters. The commentators at that time were Botham, Nasser and someone else. All three said they were certain England would make it.

Zinzan

So who were the brave ones to predict English downfall?
Tbh I had them making the semis. Never rated their nous, tactics or approach, but thought their bowlers would be tailor-made for these wickets along with the fact they beat India in the tri-series leading in.

How wrong I was.

YorksLanka

Tbh I had them making the semis. Never rated their nous, tactics or approach, but thought their bowlers would be tailor-made for these wickets along with the fact they beat India in the tri-series leading in.

How wrong I was.
me too, before the tournament, i had England down as potential winners..trouble is these wickets havent been typical wickets and have been flattened out havent they- same thing happened during the CT here in England last year tbh..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Winners: England
Runners Up: Australia
Semi finalists:New Zealand, South Africa
Leading run scorer: Eoin Morgan
Leading wicket taker: James Anderson
Highest individual innings scorer: Ian Bell 247* (87) V India
Highest individual innings wicket taker: James Anderson 8-8 (5.3) V India
Which team will be the biggest disappointment apropos their pre-tourney standing: India. Instead of being **** they will be really ****.
Which team will over achieve apropos their pre-tourney standing: England. Will win at a canter instead of just winning.
Player of the Tourney: James Anderson. Averaging 75 with the bat and 4 with the ball
Player of the Final: James Anderson.
Predict an upset in a group stage game: A match thread goes by without Jono posting total bollocks. it later emerges he'd forgotten his password.
Biggest dud player of the tourney: Virat Kohli. Averages -2.
Random prediction: 2015 WC doesn't come close to matching 2011 for number of CW infractions.
Only the final prediction correct, though given England never got to feast on India it's hardly my fault