• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WORLD CUP VICTORS - Australia

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
A great victory...

India did at least give it a real hard go, and got all Australian fans a bit worried.

I'll quickly give an Aussie run through...

Gilchrist - Batted great
Hayden - Batted good enough
Ponting - Batted amazingly well
Martyn - Batted great and took a nice catch
Lehmann - That run out.
Bevan - Where was he? Didn't even see him all day.
Symonds - Bowled well
Hogg - Expensive but got the job done
Bichel - Bowled well, but expensive
Lee - Bowled fast, DAMN FAST!
McGrath - Bowled to usual best

Amazing fact: Lehmann hit the winning boundary in the 1999 World Cup and this time took the winning catch! Believe it or not.

aussie_beater

Well played by the Aussies. Their top order batting was awesome.

This Aussie team has shown that they keep their best for the big occasion and the Indian performance, specially its bowling, showed its inexperience and how it can get overawed by the pressure of the occasion.

krkode

Well, they were the best team, they are the best team, and the best teams win.

As bad as I feel about this I think that's 'nuff said...

But I don't think the Indians folded. They played rather well - with the bat, that is. The bowling was quite average...and the aussie demolishing of average bowling was exceptional.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Paid The Umpire said:
Amazing fact: Lehmann hit the winning boundary in the 1999 World Cup and this time took the winning catch! Believe it or not.
And? It's not that hard to believe. Stranger, more coincidental things have happened before...:rolleyes:

That said, well done Aussies. Poor display by India though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

My Indian evaluation:

Sachin- surprisingly poor stroke...unnecessary.
Sehwag- a good thinking innings unlike Ganguly.
Ganguly- bad approach. Too much permeditation.
Kaif- horrible shot.
Dravid- solid as usual :) but not as attacking as I would have liked.
Yuvraj- didn't do very much.
Mongia- almost forgot he was in the team. Bowled fairly decently though.
Agarkar- didn't play :D .
Harbhajan- decent spell...should've bowled out.
Zaheer- some of the worst bowling I've seen in a while. A pity, coming from a good bowler.
Srinath- ditto. Surely the worst of his career. At least he was consistent.... in bowling full tosses though...
Nehra- well bowled.

krkode

It's quite nice that Lehmann got to had the absolute final act in both world cup victories. Something he can talk to his grandkids about :P

Langeveldt

Soutie
Yeh congrats to Australia, I guess they are playing cricket on a different level at the moment :D

Ponting hit the ball so hard.....

PY

:!( Another Aussie win. Must be nice to be an Aussie cricket follower at the moment. However I am blindly confident that England will triumph next time they face the Australians. :saint:

Gotchya

Sachin- surprisingly poor stroke...unnecessary. Judgement was the culprit.

Dravid- solid as usual but not as attacking as I would have liked. Not his natural game

Yuvraj- didn't do very much.
Or, couldn't do much at the stage

Agarkar- didn't play Thats the best thing an Indian could do ! saving himself for 2007 I guess !

royGilchrist

Well, after a poor world cup, uninteresting matches with inferior teams, daynight crap, forfeits, and Kenya of all the teams reaching the SF by beating (SL and Zimb?)......atleast the two best teams reached the finals, and the best team of the tournament won. Still a poor, long, boring and dragged out WC, with good matches few and far between.

The two SF and Final were all uninteresting, which rarely happens in the WC, dont remember a WC with all three being boring.

Gotchya

royGilchrist said:
Well, after a poor world cup, uninteresting matches with inferior teams, daynight crap, forfeits, and Kenya of all the teams reaching the SF by beating (SL and Zimb?)......atleast the two best teams reached the finals, and the best team of the tournament won. Still a poor, long, boring and dragged out WC, with good matches few and far between.

The two SF and Final were all uninteresting, which rarely happens in the WC, dont remember a WC with all three being boring.
Not the best WC I have seen

age_master

Indian fans (at the ground) got what they deserved for cheering so loud when play was stopped for 26 mins as their side got comprehensively beaten

Australia wins again :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If there's ever been a ODI side to beat these Aussies for sheer consistency, I'd love to have seen them.

I think that today was probably the nearest they got to a perfect performance in this World Cup (but still managed to miss a catch or two).

I'd now love to see Australia v Rest of the World in a 5 ODI series.

V Reddy

And it is the nearest India have got to their poorest bowling performance. There was so much spin that i haven't ever saw Harbhajan spinning so much even in India. And the ball was moving off the seam throught the match and the bowlers saved their worst for the final. I thought it was an entertaing match as there were boundaries throught the match. I think Sehwag played very well. Many were saying that he will not be able play that type of shots against the aussies but i think the otherwise b'coz his fav. shot is the cut shot and the aussies mainly bowl short. Truely great performane by the aussies.

Top_Cat

I must say that Sehwag interests me. He was rapped on the knuckles quite a few times by the opening bowlers and was hit numerous times but just kept going. His failure to even try the pulls or hooks didn't matter because he didn't get intimidated by the occasion or the bowling dished up to him. I like the look of him and reckon he's got a huge future as a Test player and ODI player. Potential Indian captain?

krkode

Top_Cat said:
I must say that Sehwag interests me. He was rapped on the knuckles quite a few times by the opening bowlers and was hit numerous times but just kept going. His failure to even try the pulls or hooks didn't matter because he didn't get intimidated by the occasion or the bowling dished up to him. I like the look of him and reckon he's got a huge future as a Test player and ODI player. Potential Indian captain?
I agree. He really does seem like a new Tendulkar. One with great levels of determination. Literally saved his best for last. One of the braver knocks I've seen this world cup.

But I really think Ganguly has more in him as player and captain. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Ganguly, Tendulkar and Dravid in 2007 as well. They'll only be 34 then. And will probably be accompanied by this same bunch of youngsters, along with a couple more to replace the likes of Srinath and Kumble.

Eclipse

He is good but IMO he could be so much better if he worked on his pull/Hook shot some more.

I dont think he will be as good as Tendulkar probably not even close but I would suggest he will allways be a match winner a alot like M. Waugh but slightly more aggressive.

Tim

Tendulkar will always have the 'x' factor that Sehwag won't have, but I think Sehwag will end his career with very healthy averages in both tests & ODI's.