• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World XI's - Europe & Rest of the World

Matteh

Surely it'd be better having Kaka 'the world's best Non-European right midfielder' actually playing in the right midfield position rather than putting him out of position and having a full back become a midfielder....

aussie

well Kaka is good enough to play anywhere in mid-field other than in a holding role since he would be wasted there so i put him on the left, plus i couldn't think of too many good left-sided players outside of europe so i took the risk.

Cloete

aussie said:
well Kaka is good enough to play anywhere in mid-field other than in a holding role since he would be wasted there so i put him on the left, plus i couldn't think of too many good left-sided players outside of europe so i took the risk.
Kewell >>>>>>>>>>>> Eboue in midfield. Kaka plays right, enough said.

Besides, Kewell shouldn't come anywhere near a full non-European team which says alot about how overrated Eboue is in the midfield. Same with guys like Appiah and Diarra, good not great. Dunno how you can include them in a non-Euro World XI.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
ok, but i explained why even though he is a full-back why with the pace he shows as a full-back why could play in the right mid-field position fairly comfortably i.e (how Zambrotta does for club & country in a similar left sided role) while Kaka who probably is the best right-midfielder outside of europe could play on the left thus giving the world side a strong look and a good balance.
That sort of argument might be valid if it were a club side struggling with injuries, but not a world select XI.

And I thought Kaka played in the hole, not down the right?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cloete said:
Besides, Kewell shouldn't come anywhere near a full non-European team which says alot about how overrated Eboue is in the midfield.
To be fair, there's only one person rating him as a midfielder.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Let's be fair, Marc's remarks were hardly "crazy" or "sarcastic." It was a logical statement. Picking Eboue on the right-wing is a crass error. Trust me, putting full-backs on the wing just because they're quick is silllly. As Marc said, yeah if you're an injury ravaged club side but not for a world XI.

As for your formation, one centre-back, wing-backs and wide midfielders has got to be just about the craziest idea of all-time. You don't play wing-backs and wide midfielders, it's pointless, and you don't play one centre-back if you're playing wing-backs, because it's suicide, it's not dodgy it's kamikaze. Come on Aussie, you can do better.

GK

CENTRE-BACK

RWB...............DM.....................LWB

RM.................CM..........CM................LM

CF.............CF​

Can't you see how crazy that is? The purpose of a wing-back is to the job of both a full-back and a winger, so what's the point in playing wingers. And one centre-back, without even full-backs in support would just be caught cold every time, even if the centre-back you chose was Superman. Crazy, crazy, crazy!

Last edited:

aussie

no no no the formation that the 3-5-2 for the rest of the world that i had in mind looks like this:

--------------------------------------------------------GK----------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------CB-----------------------CB---------------------------------------------CB---------------------

--------------------------------------------------------DM---------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------RM------------------------CM-----------CM---------------------------------------------LM-----------

-------------------------------------------------CF------------CF-------------------------------------------------------------

Its the kind of formation Argentina plays, i dunno i thought in the 3-5-2 formation the two wide defenders where referred to as wing backs my mistake. But still even if its unwise to play Eboue on the right since he is a full back & i keep Kaka on the right, i'm still short of a good left-sided player outside of Europe, any suggestions?

aussie

marc71178 said:
That sort of argument might be valid if it were a club side struggling with injuries, but not a world select XI.
Fair enough, but as i just said i'm still short of a good left-sided player outside of Europe.

marc71178 said:
And I thought Kaka played in the hole, not down the right?
As i said he is good enough to play anywhere in mid-field except for in a holding role since he would be obviously wasted there. Plus from what i have seen of him for AC Milan & Brazil he plays in the hole for his club & for Brazil he plays on the right while Ronaldinho plays in the hole.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
aussie said:
no no no the formation that the 3-5-2 for the rest of the world that i had in mind looks like this:

--------------------------------------------------------GK----------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------CB-----------------------CB---------------------------------------------CB---------------------

--------------------------------------------------------DM---------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------RM------------------------CM-----------CM---------------------------------------------LM-----------

-------------------------------------------------CF------------CF-------------------------------------------------------------

Its the kind of formation Argentina plays, i dunno i thought in the 3-5-2 formation the two wide defenders where referred to as wing backs my mistake. But still even if its unwise to play Eboue on the right since he is a full back & i keep Kaka on the right, i'm still short of a good left-sided player outside of Europe, any suggestions?
Okay mate, fair enough. Left-sided player outside Europe? I can't help you. Though I shall look into it.

aussie

GeraintIsMyHero said:
Okay mate, fair enough. Left-sided player outside Europe? I can't help you. Though I shall look into it.
i think i found one in Ze Roberto, even if he may be a bit old & probably past his best..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok, here's my European team of the tournament:

-------------------------------Buffon-----------------------------

Zambrotta--------Cannavaro------Gallas--------Lahm

Pirlo-------------Frings----------Gattuso-------Ronaldo

------------------------Henry------Klose---------------------

Subs:

G: Ricardo, D: Sagnol, D: Senderos, M: Deco, M: Hargreaves, S: Torres, S: Shevchenko

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
aussie said:

defnsively that formation is far too narrow, you need to drop the midfielders into the wing back role rather than as out and out attacking wing men, one of the forwards then needs to be dropped into central midfield or in the hole in order for that formation to be a proper sucess.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
mine would have to be:

Ricardo

Zambrotta Cannavaro Gallas Grosso

J.Cole Pirlo Gattuso Lahm

Zidane

Klose

FaaipDeOiad

BoyBrumby said:

Subs:

G: Ricardo, D: Sagnol, D: Senderos, M: Deco, M: Hargreaves, S: Torres, S: Shevchenko
No Zidane seems... problematic. :p

I'd say Makelele deserves consideration as well, was wonderful in the later games. Agree with most of the team though.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:

Subs:

Hard to argue with much there. There might be an argument for Metzelder at CB over Sagnol on the bench, I thought he played himself well in over the course of the tournament after the mare against Germany, and Pirlo isn't a real winger either so I'd probably go for Malouda there.

I note you have five Italians in the starting line-up despite them being "average"... ;)

Edit: Ribery, not Malouda.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Samuel_Vimes said:
I note you have five Italians in the starting line-up despite them being "average"... ;)
4 of whom are defensive & it's pretty hard to fault them on that score.... :p

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
No Zidane seems... problematic. :p

I'd say Makelele deserves consideration as well, was wonderful in the later games. Agree with most of the team though.
He was my captain until very, very recently.....