• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst job in cricket

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
Now you have a mechanically controlled sightscreen

Which is prone to breaking!

At Old Trafford this summer, on about 3 occasions in one session it failed to move back.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Security guards would be up there. You could have an awesome game of cricket going on, and you have to look at the fans the whole day. Damn.
Depends if the Npower girls are in that section of the fans...

cbuts

i think its a good call to let the 3rd ump rule on no balls. gives the umpires out in the middle a better chance to concentrate on things such as lbws etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
I wouldn't mind being payed to watch cricket, getting one of the best views in the house and pushing a sightscreen up and down at the request of one of my heroes...
I'll second that!
Personally I pity the man who has to tell The PE Brass Band they've got to stop playing.
Really looking forward to hearing them again this winter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
biased indian said:
from being one of the easiest job in cricket the job of third umpire has become the worst that some one can have with the start of new inovations by ICC.

if u r a 3rd umpire u have to watch the monitor which show only a line for 600+ deliveries and call the no ball .i think u will have to require very good concentration to do that job
Exactly.
It's ludicrous to expect a human to be doing this - though I still think it's better to have it called by third-Umpire than standing-Umpire.
You know me, I'd have a Cyclops call - and something to create the free-hit, too.

cbuts

thats what used to happen in cricket max. the next ball became a free hit - so the batter could take advantage

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
Exactly.
It's ludicrous to expect a human to be doing this - though I still think it's better to have it called by third-Umpire than standing-Umpire.
You know me, I'd have a Cyclops call - and something to create the free-hit, too.
They introduced the 'free-hit' rule in the ING Cup last summer.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Seeing as South Park make far more sense than the ICC, I reckon that cricket in general ought to introduce the "Free Hat" rule.

(I think you need to be a South Park fan to get that one)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Except, ludicrously, the "field had to be the same".
Except you can't define boundaries between fielding-positions - there is nothing official about them. There is no area where cover stops and extra-cover starts.