• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst winning performance you have seen

Daemon

When Australia thumped India 4-0 in 11/12, Shaun Marsh made 17 runs in 6 innings averaging 2.8

vcs

Good idea for a thread.

Steven Finn in the Agar 98 match.
Sreesanth in the 2011 WC final.

Starfighter

When Australia thumped India 4-0 in 11/12, Shaun Marsh made 17 runs in 6 innings averaging 2.8
Out of ones I've actually seen - as opposed to read the cricinfo commentary or watched highlights on youtube - this takes the cake. I think I blanked it out of my memory.

Shri

kohli at home vs australia when we won the last test series

kept nicking off to outswingers way outside off going for cover drives

also got injured at some point and missed a test iirc

Bijed

kohli at home vs australia when we won the last test series

kept nicking off to outswingers way outside off going for cover drives

also got injured at some point and missed a test iirc
You remember that over the hilarious leaves?

mr_mister

Plenty of instances where someone got a pair in a win. Ponting in the famous Hobart victory against Pakistan

Australia's SF win over WI in '96 WC was a total get out of jail win. Half the side contributed nothing

Shri

You remember that over the hilarious leaves?
test 1

14.4 he's sucked him in! Starc, you beauty. The most in-form batsman in the world gone second ball. And it's a terribly soft dismissal. Kohli chases after a full and wide delivery and nicks off to first slip. Simple catch. But we're waiting to see if it's a legal delivery. Has Starc kept his front foot behind the line? Yes he has. What an over from Australia's spearhead 44/3

16.2 bowled 'im. Kohli has left a straight one. Was saying it all along that Kohli was playing for turn, but the danger was the one that doesn't turn. Yes, it pitched outside off. And yes, there has been plenty of turn. But so many of O'Keefe's deliveries have not turned. This one too. Skids on and knocks back off stump. Is that the game? I don't think that was an error in judgement, it was just the wrong approach to batting against spin on this surface. 47/3

test 2

33.5 what has Kohli done here? Out twice in a row when padding up. And this is a really really 'big batsman' review from Kohli. Kohli has just left alone an offbreak headed straight for the stumps. This is plumb as. Kohli has a chat with Rahul, and for some weird bizarre reason, 'the best batsman' in the team eats up a review. And he sees the replay on the big screen and walks off even without any confirmation. The crowd is hushed. You can hear a pin drop. Anyway here is what happened? Kohli went back to look to work this to leg, but then for some reason shouldered arms to one pitched just outside off and on a length. It was hitting middle and leg. He expected it to turn more than it did 88/3

34.2 shooter. Given out lbw immediately. And Kohli has reviewed immediately. Must have hit it. replays show it is very close on whether it hit the pad first or bat. Toe of the bat is close to the ball when the ball hits the pad. This is all too close. It is taking a lot of time to ascertain. Remember the on-field decision is out. Look to me it has grazed the pad before hitting the bat. Only just. The Ultra Edge shows an impact at around the same time. Umpire Kettleborough says 'there is no conclusive evidence to confirm it's bat first'. So we are going to Hawk Eye. And it shows 'umpire's call' on impact. Given on the field, and that call stays. 'No conclusive evidence to say he hit it first.' Those are the words that seal this decision 112/3

test 3

80.4 Kohli is gone. Sharp catch at second slip. Pin-drop silence in Ranchi. He is walking slowly. They are checking for a no-ball. He is well in. A loose shot. Wide half-volley, no feet, he drives at it, and the edge flies to second slip, who has crept up because of the low bounce. This one flies at him, giving him little reaction time. He leans back, absorbs the momentum of it, and takes it clean as a whistle. How about that Maxwell chase that brought Kohli on strike? Kohli in the field tried to do the same, and injured himself 225/3

2 left

2 nicked

1 shooter

in that series

but yeah, i can't remember the leaves lol:laugh:

h_hurricane

1. Two of the most epic triumphs in Indian history during Gavaskar's playing days were without significant contributions from him. Averaged 24 and 29 respectively in away series victories in England in 1971 and 1986.
2. Smith's double failures in recent series vs Pakistan, poor by his standards.
3. Jadeja went wicketless in the recent series win vs Bangladesh at home.

h_hurricane

How can I miss Mike Brearley, probably every series he captained and won. Dude averages 21 odd in matches won:laugh:

Last edited:

anil1405

I am genuinely confused whether Dippenaar's 1 run in the 434-438 game deserves a mention in this thread as in hindsight it was the best thing to happen to Proteas in that game.

Howe_zat

Adam Lyth comes to mind, averaged 12 in the successful 2015 Ashes.

I doubt any batsman will beat Shaun Marsh on the stats.

Howe_zat

Statsguru trawls:

Reggie Spooner won the 1912 Ashes, he batted at 3 for England in 3 tests and scored 3 runs, averaging 0.75

Lahiru Thirimanne opened for SL during their series win in England in 2014, he hit 4 runs and averaged 1.

Nuwan Pradeep took 1/235 across two tests when Pakistan toured Sri Lanka in 2012, he also had an economy of 4.19

Andy Caddick averaged 6 with the bat (best score 5*) and 94 with the ball (best 1-40) as England beat Pakistan away in 2000

srbhkshk

I guess you can have plenty of such performances as it's easy enough to hide one player in an 11 man team especially if the others are going good. On a slightly different note - what would be the worst MoM or MoS performances you have seen?

OverratedSanity

I guess you can have plenty of such performances as it's easy enough to hide one player in an 11 man team especially if the others are going good. On a slightly different note - what would be the worst MoM or MoS performances you have seen?
He scored 36 in a very low scoring game but if anyone can explain to me why Dhoni got motm here despite Jadeja and Ajmal's performances , I'd be grateful.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/12253/scorecard/589310/india-vs-pakistan-3rd-odi-pakistan-tour-of-india-2012-13

vcs

Sachin's MoTM in the 2011 SF was rather underwhelming considering how scratchy he was, the DRS luck, dropped catches etc. Not that I cared two hoots, I would have gladly sold my soul to the Devil to see us win that match haha.