• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies

brackenNY

Aye, not sure what the shame in losing to two legitimate LOI teams is. They picked a shoking lineup, star players didn't turn up and were soundly beaten. Losing to Holland is a completely different level of embarrasing.

And yet England can still win this thing. I'll take more of that embarrassment, please.

Son Of Coco

Watch Australia have a cry and whinge and they will change the ranking format. Though by the time the next Twenty20 WC comes around most of sides should have played enough matches to have a proper ranking system.
Why are you presuming they'll actually care? They didn't show any great concern for the tournament itself.

social

How many mistakes can Hilditch and the selection panel make before they are sacked? And to add salt to the wound, they are not even full time selectors, just as our Test and ODI players are not taking T20s seriously.
Unfortunately, there's every likelihood that Oz will win the Ashes quite easily and this debacle will be all but forgotten

Cruxdude

Well they do care. Watching Ponting at the presentation showed how much they cared. Seemed close to tears. But I don't believe they will whinge and cry. They will look at the mirror accept they were crap and get ready for the next one. Wonder what consequences a lost Ashes would have.

shivfan

Banned
I don't think you can compare prowess at the 50 over format to that of the 20 over format.. 50 overs being long enough for a better side to establish themselves and you can build a valid judgement of a side on form in said format.. 20 overs to me is just too short to build a game, a couple of wayward overs and you're on the plane home, I don't think thats the way it should work..
It's a totally different game, and one that appeals to fans who like to see the possibility of an upset....

That's why the 50-overs competition can be so boring at times. An upset is very rare.

Let's face it - the 20/20 game is attracting a younger, new audience, that doesn't have the time to sit down and watch a game that lasts all day - or five days, for that matter!

Smith

Banned
Why are you presuming they'll actually care? They didn't show any great concern for the tournament itself.
Would be a poor excuse. And nothing that Ponting & Men did in the last 2 weeks suggested that they were in England for an early acclimatisation than participating in the T20. As four-or-six observed, Australia did consider this tournament seriously and did give their best, but the ones who gave were not the best really.

Smith

Banned
It's a totally different game, and one that appeals to fans who like to see the possibility of an upset....

That's why the 50-overs competition can be so boring at times. An upset is very rare.

Let's face it - the 20/20 game is attracting a younger, new audience, that doesn't have the time to sit down and watch a game that lasts all day - or five days, for that matter!
I'd say ODIs have become boring and irrelevant and should be scrapped asap. This would solve the problems of player burnout while giving test cricket the window it needs.

duffer

Yeah but Cricket is a REALLY big sport in Australia. Rugby however for all the success we may have had, is only a really a minor sport (probably not much bigger than cricket is in Ireland or the Netherlands).

For this reason, we Aussies care alot more about the fortunes of our Cricket team in all competitions, wheras most couldn't give a stuff about the Rugby Sevens.

cheers
Maybe in Melbourne. Definitely not the case in Sydney and Brisbane.

brackenNY

This.

I just fear they will overdo Twenty20 like they did ODIs and make them lose their luster.

social

Would be a poor excuse. And nothing that Ponting & Men did in the last 2 weeks suggested that they were in England for an early acclimatisation than participating in the T20. As four-or-six observed, Australia did consider this tournament seriously and did give their best, but the ones who gave were not the best really.
Whilst there was definitely an argument to be made in 2007, saying Oz didnt care about this tournament is nothing more than a poor attempt at an excuse for losing and doesnt give credit where it's due - to WI and SL

Fact is that Oz picked the wrong team and were'nt good enough - END OF STORY

Son Of Coco

That's true, but you have to wonder what their real purpose was when Ponting made the comments he did. If CA and the selectors were serious about this they would have sent the best Twenty20 team over. I don't know how they have been training in the lead up, so wouldn't know whether they've been using it as a chance at early acclimatisation or a serious build-up for the 20/20 WC.

Son Of Coco

Whilst there was definitely an argument to be made in 2007, saying Oz didnt care about this tournament is nothing more than a poor attempt at an excuse for losing and doesnt give credit where it's due - to WI and SL

They were also beaten by two better teams. They took a strange approach to it though, not so much the players as the selectors.

Smith

Banned

:huh: I don't think there is any disagreement between you and me on that, perhaps quoted the wrong post?

Smith

Banned
That's true, but you have to wonder what their real purpose was when Ponting made the comments he did. If CA and the selectors were serious about this they would have sent the best Twenty20 team over. I don't know how they have been training in the lead up, so wouldn't know whether they've been using it as a chance at early acclimatisation or a serious build-up for the 20/20 WC.
CA simply did not have a clue which was their best team. They sent in a team which they thought was Australia's best T20 team.