• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E - England, India, South Africa, West Indies

Uppercut

Whoever Cries About D/L should know there is no method that is there currently that can give us a better solution. 80 of 9 overs was fair enough when u consider that Windies had to chase at 9 an over and only had 3 power play overs.

Of course in T20's the chasing team always has the advantage and in a shortened game its even more extrapolated. West Indies went crazy becuase of the shortened chase. had it been 161 they would have been a little bit more conventional. so saying England was cheated out f the SF is a classic case of sour grapes.

Colly won the toss and still elected to bat. There was not a single boundary hit in the last 9 overs till Broad came in.. So why blame the Windies here when England pretty much sucked the whole game with the exception of KP, Swann and Bopara. :)
Personally I'd say England were cheated out of a contest. West Indies were handed a massive advantage. You seem to underestimate how big the advantage was- scoring 80 runs off 9 overs @ 8.89 is much easier than scoring 162 off 20 overs at 8.10.

It would be no better had England won the game like that. West Indies might well have chased 162 and won a fair match- a lot of people here fancied them to do it- but we'll never know.

PhoenixFire

At the end of the day, England's batting isn't good enough in 20-20. We have Pietersen and Bopara and that is it. Pretty simple really.

zaremba

Whoever Cries About D/L should know there is no method that is there currently that can give us a better solution. 80 of 9 overs was fair enough when u consider that Windies had to chase at 9 an over and only had 3 power play overs.
I agree that there is no better system. By and large, I am a huge supporter of D/L. But that doesn't mean that its algorithms (if that's the right word) are currently well tuned for T20 cricket.

I don't think for a moment that 80 off 9 overs is in any way equivalent to 161 off 20 overs, given that you can still afford to lose 9 wickets in that time.

As for "only 3 powerplays", it's more (pro rata) than you get in a full 20 over innings.

grecian

Of course in T20's the chasing team always has the advantage and in a shortened game its even more extrapolated. West Indies went crazy becuase of the shortened chase. had it been 161 they would have been a little bit more conventional. so saying England was cheated out f the SF is a classic case of sour grapes.

Colly won the toss and still elected to bat. There was not a single boundary hit in the last 9 overs till Broad came in.. So why blame the Windies here when England pretty much sucked the whole game with the exception of KP, Swann and Bopara. :)
Who's blaming the Windies?

Anyway, Colly did deserve it for batting first, so I'm blaming him, above all TBH. Yet (D/L) is skewed for chasing teams, and really should be sorted out before it knocks out a good team:ph34r:

EDIT: We do only have one good batsman in this form of the game, may have been different if we'd played trott or napier.

Last edited:

Adamc

I don't know why you are getting worked up.

If there are no alternatives you can suggest, how can you randomly suggest this method is bad? It's a plain whinge than any constructive argument in that case. Atleast you suggest what WI ideally would have been chasing in 9 overs?

Irrational whingeing about a rule accepted by all captains, got my goat.
Haha, geez. No, I'm not going to run a statistical analysis of Twenty20 cricket and build my own prediction model as I have neither the time nor the expertise.

Think of it this way. If someone invented a cart with square wheels, and round wheels hadn't been thought of yet, most people would think it to be an idiotic invention. The fact that no one had thought of a better alternative to the square-wheeled cart at that point doesn't make it any good. Nor does it mean that there will never be a better alternative; eventually someone will think of round wheels.

I don't think D/L is as idiotic as square wheels, but nor do I think it can't or shouldn't be improved upon. Accepting it as gospel and shouting down anyone who dares question it is narrow-minded. I'm a WI fan for the record, so hopefully you can realise that it's not a case of 'whinging'.

zaremba

I thought john was talking about "Perfectly capable" Batsmen.
Yes - and if you think that bold type somehow makes a point more persuasive, he's shown himself "perfectly capable" of taking 3 Test centuries off them in 3 innings, and a T20 half century today

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think we can all safely assume that T20 isn't regarded as hit and giggle anymore then, evoking some emotional responses here (including from myself). I think there are a few things that need sorting in this tournament and format, but on the whole have once again enjoyed this tournament. It's been a million miles ahead of the last ODI WC in terms of entertainment.

andruid

Bloody match engine, totally ****ed.
LOL
:laugh::laugh:

Perhaps in that context they should have been given less wickets to play with? e.g if Windies should lose more than x wickets, having schased down whatever target is st they should have been declard losers anyway

Also the D/L favours chasing teams kinda falls flat when you consider those situations where the rain interruption comes in after they have began chasing.

PhoenixFire

This is insane and disrespectful to WI team and fans.
Did you not read that AdamC said that he himself is a WI fan. Nobody is attacking the WI team or their fans, I really like them and I'm happy for them. People are annoyed at the system.

Dissector

No-one's doubting that chasing 161 was within their capabilities.

I'm a bit regretful that this is all starting to deteriorate into what seems like sour grapes from us English and a bit of English - Windies name calling. It's just a bit of a sad way to go out of a tournament, that's all. :(
Fair enough. Like I said I agreed that D/L was unfair to England but not by nearly as much as some England fans seem to think. If there was no rain I would have given the West Indies at least a 60% chance of chasing the total.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
LOL

Perhaps in that context they should have been given less wickets to play with? e.g if Windies should lose more than x wickets, having schased down whatever target is st they should have been declard losers anyway

Also the D/L favours chasing teams kinda falls flat when you consider those situations where the rain interruption comes in after they have began chasing.
Not really, the target gets adjusted

Sanz

Yes - and if you think that bold type somehow makes a point more persuasive, he's shown himself "perfectly capable" of taking 3 Test centuries off them in 3 innings, and a T20 half century today
Bravo, Simmons, Gayle all have better Record in this series than Bopara. Gayle has certainly proven himself more than Bopara has. So I dont know what you are trying to defend here.

John made a stupid remark and he got a response he deserved.

gvenkat

LOL

Agree the system needs to be fine tuned. But i'm sure people will find flaws with whatever system you come up with. It's just one of those things.. Or better they should have those retractable roofs in all stadiums so that rain wont play spoil sport.. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Meh. We had our chances. 23/3 & 45/5 and we were favs. WI batted well and credit to them.

Pietersen and, to a much lesser extent, Bopara aside our batting is pitifully inadequate for the foramt. Cheerio Shah, Collingwood, Key, Morgan & Foster.

Sanz

Did you not read that AdamC said that he himself is a WI fan. Nobody is attacking the WI team or their fans, I really like them and I'm happy for them. People are annoyed at the system.
D/L is not new and it has been argued to death that it is probably the best option. I am not against having a re-look at D/L but the amount of outrage by certain members and comments like 'England were cheated out of game' is disrespectful and insane. How is it cheating ?

And it is indeed disrespectful to the WI team and fans say that 'WI have only 2 batsman' etc

gvenkat

Fair enough. Like I said I agreed that D/L was unfair to England but not by nearly as much as some England fans seem to think. If there was no rain I would have given the West Indies at least a 60% chance of chasing the total.
Or even a 50% chance. We would never know what would have happened if we had a full game. The conditions were in fact best suited for bowling after the rain with the ball zipping around. Maybe they would have lost.. But we would never know..

Kyle

Or how about having rain days in the tournament, so we can just replay these games?

It's stupid that if it rains the day of the final, the two finalists are declared joint winners.

PhoenixFire

D/L is not new and it has been argued to death that it is probably the best option. I am not against having a re-look at D/L but the amount of outrage by certain members and comments like 'England were cheated out of game' is disrespectful and insane. How is it cheating ?

And it is indeed disrespectful to the WI team and fans say that 'WI have only 2 batsman' etc
Agree with you on the first point. Calling cheating is obviously a load of BS as protocol was followed, rather than some decision by some anti-England party, as is being insinuated by some people.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Nobody and I mean nobody has suggested that West Indies cheated.