• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Road to the 2010/11 Ashes

Woodster

But many posters are making the point that Paine would be the better man if it was 150-5, and Australia have often found themselves in that position in recent times. I haven't watched Haddin's glovework closely enough to compare him with Paine, but Paine certainly lends more "solidity" from what I've seen of their batting.
Should their top order fire a little more, then 150-5 should be the exception rather than the rule. Even so, would still back Haddin and his approach to have more success at this stage of their respective careers.

vcs

How do people see Ponting going against Swann? I think it could be a great contest, considering how well Ponting played spin in India, but Swann is in great form himself, the world's most threatening spinner ATM and never short of confidence.

aussie

But many posters are making the point that Paine would be the better man if it was 150-5, and Australia have often found themselves in that position in recent times. I haven't watched Haddin's glovework closely enough to compare him with Paine, but Paine certainly lends more "solidity" from what I've seen of their batting.
Yes. But for me the many collapses AUS have had can be reduced significantly if they soldify back the top 6. By dropping North, Huhges to open & Katich back into the middle-order & Hussey/or another in form domestic player like Khawaja/Bailey. Thus Haddin plays.

But Haddin also definately needs to work on his consistently or else regardless of the fact that he is better batsman, Paine can certainly still replacement him very soon.

aussie

How do people see Ponting going against Swann? I think it could be a great contest, considering how well Ponting played spin in India, but Swann is in great form himself, the world's most threatening spinner ATM and never short of confidence.
Will be one of the battles of the series no doubt. Although i sort of reckon AUS left-hander will have more trouble againts him.

Woodster said:
Personally would take one of Haddin's counter-attacking innings at 100-5 rather than rely on Paine to grind it out, on the basis I just hold Haddin in a higher regard, although I understand why people may favour Paine's style in a more backs-to-the-wall position.
Indeed.

Woodster

No doubt he'll to be positive against Swann, a battle Swann will no doubt relish. It's one area we should have a big advantage over the Aussies, the spin department, and could be the difference especially with it being, imo, two very well matched sides.

Swann will love Ponting's hard hands pushing at him early, and Bell may well be in play at short leg. That memory of the Swann ball that drifted away from Ponting and turned sharply through the gate in the last Ashes will still be fresh in both their memories, and I'm sure Swann will look to drag him outside off again. Depending on the sharpness of turn available it will obviously dictate how far outside off he'll look to turn in back in from, but it promises to be a top battle.

vcs

I actually think Swann should also consider coming around the wicket and trying to trap him LBW because he doesn't push too hard at the ball anymore. He's certainly worked on that aspect and improved.

But yeah, it should be fun because they are both attacking and positive by nature.

Woodster

Absolutely he has improved on that aspect, but still goes at it too hard for me, still think it'll be an area Swann will look to exploit.

robelinda

So, any chance of O'Keefe for the first Ashes test? Bag of wickets in the shield game, was backup spinner in the Pak tests in Eng, kinda like the idea of a left arm off spinner in our team.

aussie

So, any chance of O'Keefe for the first Ashes test? Bag of wickets in the shield game, was backup spinner in the Pak tests in Eng, kinda like the idea of a left arm off spinner in our team.
Wicets againts the joke S Australia batting line-up isn't much of a guide. Based on what i saw of him in ENG looks like an another Hauritz failure waiting to happen.

Has to be an all-pace attack starting in Brisbane. But of course i wont be holding my breath with these dumb selectors.

robelinda

Wicets againts the joke S Australia batting line-up isn't much of a guide. Based on what i saw of him in ENG looks like an another Hauritz failure waiting to happen.

Has to be an all-pace attack starting in Brisbane. But of course i wont be holding my breath with these dumb selectors.
Siddle for the gabba?

social

Swann was averaging mid-40s in the last Ashes series until he benefitted from a dust-bowl in the last test and it would surprise me to see the same heading into the last test in Sydney

Australia is an incredibly difficult place to bowl finger spin (check out Murali and Harby's records there) and the Aussies like that style of bowling

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Swann was averaging mid-40s in the last Ashes series until he benefitted from a dust-bowl in the last test and it would surprise me to see the same heading into the last test in Sydney

Australia is an incredibly difficult place to bowl finger spin (check out Murali and Harby's records there) and the Aussies like that style of bowling
Still averaged in the 40s over the series.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him take a 5 wicket haul or two, but it would be an almighty effort to take one for less than 100 runs.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Still averaged in the 40s over the series.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him take a 5 wicket haul or two, but it would be an almighty effort to take one for less than 100 runs.
To put that into context, in the 2000s, here is the list of 5 wicket hauls taken by spinners:

• 2010: Danish Kaneria - 5/151
  • 2009: Suliemann Benn - 5/155
  • 2007: Anil Kumble - 5/84
  • 2006: Monty Panesar - 5/92
  • 2005: Danish Kaneria - 7/188
  • 2004: Danish Kaneria - 5/125
  • 2004: Daniel Vettori - 5/152
  • 2004: Upul Chandana - 5/101
  • 2004: Upul Chandana - 5/109
  • 2004: Anil Kumble - 8/141
  • 2003: Anil Kumble - 6/176
  • 2003: Anil Kumble - 5/154
  • 2003: Ray Price - 6/121
  • 2001: Daniel Vettori - 5/138
  • 2001: Daniel Vettori - 6/87
Have bolded the ones that are at an average of less than 20. No right arm offspinners amongst them, for the record.

Last edited: