• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Group A Discussion - England, India, Afghanistan

Contra

First time you've watched England, then?
I've watched em before, I've watched a lot of sides fall to spinners, but mostly cuz we bowled well. England on the other hand just look shot, like they've never ever played spinners before. Chawla is the same guy who holds the record for most sixes being hit of his bowling in IPL and he's bowled like he would in any other match. The English have made him look like shane warne lol

Game over

Senile Sentry

I wouldn't like to read too much into a twenty20 match.. but the manner of lack of application by the English is shocking. Yes the spinners have bowled well but the batsmen have looked clueless as well. I would have liked to see this as a one off but the performance of this lineup against spin attacks in the last one year suggests it is more than a blip.

Contra

The next round is gonna be extremely tough for India, the batting really has to come together for us in a big way if we're gonna challenge Australia and SA.

Arachnodouche

Boy, Senile Sentry, that Hussain piece in your sig is some arrogant drivel! I can't wait for this winter; if only we had a half decent trundler like Ganguly, I'd go for three spinners along with Zaheer. unfortunately, nobody in the team seems to like running up to bowl off more than 4 paces..

wpdavid

I wouldn't like to read too much into a twenty20 match.. but the manner of lack of application by the English is shocking. Yes the spinners have bowled well but the batsmen have looked clueless as well. I would have liked to see this as a one off but the performance of this lineup against spin attacks in the last one year suggests it is more than a blip.
Yup - it's there for all to see every time we play in the SC or the UAE, but the English game is too far gone for anyone to do a thing about it. Not that it's any sort of priority for the guys who run the domestic game anyway. Listen to the howls of anguish whenever a county has the temerity to produce a track that takes spin before lunch on Day 4. Given how dire our test team is against this stuff, our 2020ers were never going to have a prayer. And this against an attack that was run close by Afganistan iirc.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

No Cook, Trott , Bell, Prior etc. Not so much to.read in it for the test cricket I guess?
True but they looked just as bad in UAE and Sri Lanka.

Can't really comment too much as I have been watching the football, a dead T20 game hardly worth watching when 4 of the biggest teams in England are playing on the same day. Looking at the scorecard is pretty grim though.

Manee

After much thought, I think India, in future games, should go with...

1. Virender Sehwag
2. Gautam Gambhir
3. Virat Kohli
4. Rohit Sharma
5. Suresh Raina
6. Yuvraj Singh
7. MS Dhoni
8. Irfan Pathan
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. R Ashwin
11. P Chawla

Contra

1. Virender Sehwag
2. Gautam Gambhir
3. Virat Kohli
4. Rohit Sharma
5. Suresh Raina
6. Yuvraj Singh
7. MS Dhoni
8. Irfan Pathan
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. R Ashwin
11. P Chawla
3 spinners is a little too much, this pitch wasn't all that spinner friendly, and not every team is England. Zak over chawla and I agree. That said Zak isn't that great a T20 bowler, but we have to hope he comes good.

Also it's kinda messed how the table toppers from each group get all put into one group for the next round.

ankitj

1. Virender Sehwag
2. Gautam Gambhir
3. Virat Kohli
4. Rohit Sharma
5. Suresh Raina
6. Yuvraj Singh
7. MS Dhoni
8. Irfan Pathan
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. R Ashwin
11. P Chawla
I'd consider going in with 5 bowlers. It's just 20 overs, and Irfan / Ashwin can bat too. The bowling is week and needs some strengthening.