• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Haddin?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pattinson is more an axe murderer tbh.

Incidentally, this idea going around certain circles that far bowlers should be nice people on the field is complete crap.
There's a middle ground between being nice and being a complete cock. Thinking someone like McGrath who, whilst being a single minded competitor on the field who countered to himself and mumbled and moaned a lot, didn't often cross the line (yes I know about the Sarwan incident) and seems like he'd have been a great guy to have a few beers with after the game.

SteveNZ

There's a middle ground between being nice and being a complete cock. Thinking someone like McGrath who, whilst being a single minded competitor on the field who countered to himself and mumbled and moaned a lot, didn't often cross the line (yes I know about the Sarwan incident) and seems like he'd have been a great guy to have a few beers with after the game.
100% correct.

I hope there's never another Brad Haddin. One of the most reprehensible international cricketers of all time.

morgieb

tbh, I think some of the Haddin bashing on his personality goes OTT. A cock on the field granted, but off the field to me he doesn't seem that much of a tool.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
tbh, I think some of the Haddin bashing on his personality goes OTT. A cock on the field granted, but off the field to me he doesn't seem that much of a tool.
Yeah, there was nothing toolish about his comments at the time of the World Cup final.

Son Of Coco

Yeah, unless he's changed quite a lot he was one of the nicest blokes in the NSW team off the field as far as talking to the general public goes. I met him through cricket a number of years ago though (2001), so it's possible things have changed. Some of the guys in the NSW team then were knobs (Bevan a standout), but he wasn't one of them.

Burgey

I'd say Twatto was more of a hapless tool than a proper old-fashioned Ocker dickhead.

As such Haddin is probably the last of his kind.

Thought Pattinson minor showed promise in that regard, but the uncracked schoolboy voice rather undermines the whole "nasty Pommie hating quick" thang.
Patto is the heir apparent to Steyn, with those poker machine eyes spinning around in his head when he's angry.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
what he said after the WC final falls categorically in the "off the field" camp for mine.

If he signs bats for kids and stuff, good, but generally cricket fans will judge you on how you behave on the field and in media interviews/pressers. He well and truly is a cock in both those areas.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
what he said after the WC final falls categorically in the "off the field" camp for mine.

If he signs bats for kids and stuff, good, but generally cricket fans will judge you on how you behave on the field and in media interviews/pressers. He well and truly is a cock in both those areas.
Yeah, all the NSW boys like him but I think there is a significant portion of opposition state players who don't have a huge amount of time for Brad.

adub

Yeah I reckon he's the sort of guy you love if you're playing with and think is a right cock if you're playing against. Says the things you wouldn't say yourself but love having someone on your side say because it pisses the opposition off so much.

Swingpanzee

Yeah I reckon he's the sort of guy you love if you're playing with and think is a right cock if you're playing against. Says the things you wouldn't say yourself but love having someone on your side say because it pisses the opposition off so much.
exactly this, same goes for warner and a few other ****s

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hmmm, most teammates would be more than happy to not have a player in my team who laughs at Grant Elliott in a WC final when he goes out tbh. What did Luggage ever do to anyone?

His teammates love him cos he's probably fine to have a beer with and chat to on the team bus etc. Not because he's a douchebag on the field who says things they want to say but don't have to.

social

Hmmm, most teammates would be more than happy to not have a player in my team who laughs at Grant Elliott in a WC final when he goes out tbh. What did Luggage ever do to anyone?

His teammates love him cos he's probably fine to have a beer with and chat to on the team bus etc. Not because he's a douchebag on the field who says things they want to say but don't have to.
I played club cricket with a test cricketer who is one of the nicest blokes in the world off the field

However, I still cringe at some of the things he did on it

There's also a well known story about a former test captain reducing an opposition youngster to tears in a club match and when challenged by his own team he basically told them to **** off as well

Mind you, he was a **** that very few people liked anyway

I was never averse to some sledging but some **** is so unnecessary e.g. send-offs

Last edited:

CharlesLara

I played club cricket with a test cricketer who is one of the nicest blokes in the world off the field

There's also a well known story about a former test captain reducing an opposition youngster to tears in a club match and when challenged by his own team he basically told them to **** off as well

I was never averse to some sledging but some **** is so unnecessary e.g. send-offs
That old-boys "real man" mentality is still rife within club cricket here in NZ. Obviously my generation (I'm 25) is changing things as we all know what it was like to come from high school into a team full of club pro's, albeit some being frustrated stalwarts in their 30's who just can't let go and thrive off tryna **** on young players coming up. Funnily enough, the really good players generally don;t waste their time saying stuff.

Hurricane

Played a club game against this chap Suruj Ragoonath | West Indies Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

He had played for the Windies twice in tests.

Two memories from it
a) His batting wasn't that much better than us in terms of his array of shots, but his batting intelligence was light years ahead of us. He would coach his batting partner at the other end how to approach their inning and suddenly players that usually we would have out for 10 runs in a regular game were getting 30s and 40s.
b) he was ultra competitive. I had the temerity to hit a drive on the up through the covers for two. He was incensed by the shot. And had plenty to say about how that was the only shot I knew how to play and how I had nothing else etc. Everyone else just said nice shot. So yeah maybe once you reach the top levels you become feisty.

I also played with Larry Gomes for a couple of games and he snuck in the odd sledge here and there.

social

That old-boys "real man" mentality is still rife within club cricket here in NZ. Obviously my generation (I'm 25) is changing things as we all know what it was like to come from high school into a team full of club pro's, albeit some being frustrated stalwarts in their 30's who just can't let go and thrive off tryna **** on young players coming up. Funnily enough, the really good players generally don;t waste their time saying stuff.
Different generation (I'm 50 and played my first A grade match in '79) but still think that much comes down to personality, etc e.g. some guys barely said a word whilst other players never shut up

Honestly didn't faze me one way or another unless it spilt out off the field and that is probably the area where the game has really changed

social

Played a club game against this chap Suruj Ragoonath | West Indies Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

He had played for the Windies twice in tests.

Two memories from it
a) His batting wasn't that much better than us in terms of his array of shots, but his batting intelligence was light years ahead of us. He would coach his batting partner at the other end how to approach their inning and suddenly players that usually we would have out for 10 runs in a regular game were getting 30s and 40s.
b) he was ultra competitive. I had the temerity to hit a drive on the up through the covers for two. He was incensed by the shot. And had plenty to say about how that was the only shot I knew how to play and how I had nothing else etc. Everyone else just said nice shot. So yeah maybe once you reach the top levels you become feisty.

I also played with Larry Gomes for a couple of games and he snuck in the odd sledge here and there.
One of my all time favourites - hard worker in a team of legends

adub

One of my all time favourites - hard worker in a team of legends
Bought my house off his sister. My mate who used to live behind loves to tell me of the day half the Windies team was relaxing in my pool.