• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd Test, Lord's, London

Pothas

Moeen is a household name
Moeen has won a Test match in the 4th innings at Lords you know and a fair few other ones as well.

Really good match, even if I missed most of it. Managed to watch the last hour and a bit. I honestly can't remember anyone like Archer playing for England before, we may only get to see it it briefly but would be so good to see an attack with him and Anderson in it.

wpdavid

I honestly can't remember anyone like Archer playing for England before, we may only get to see it it briefly but would be so good to see an attack with him and Anderson in it.
I wonder who would make way for Anderson if he is fit enough to play at any point in this series. I couldn't call it tbh.

As for your first point, I don't think we have for any length of time. I'm tempted to suggest Snow or Willis, but I don't really know whether they operated in the mid 90mph zone. And I'm guessing they were before your time anyway. Devon Malcolm on occasions such as that SA match in 1994, but they were very rare. Apparently one of Archer's overs on Saturday was the fastest from an England bowler since these things have been able to be recorded. Obviously that excludes Tyson and Larwood, but it still tells us something.

Let's hope his captain handles him wisely so he isn't burnt out after a couple of tests.

Pothas

They would probably drop Denly and push everyone else up the order. Once Anderson retires then you have the attack from this match although TMS keep going on about this maybe being Broad's last summer. I don't see any reason why that would the case though, certainly hope it is not.

Pothas

It would probably the logical decision although it would severely weaken the lower order batting. I just suspect they would find it easier to drop Denly and you can certainly argue the case that Woakes will score as many runs as him anyway.

stephen

Really Woakes is massively underrated. Should be Broad that gets dropped based on recent performances except that Broad massively ups his game against Australia.

Honestly I wouldn't play Anderson again this series. He's too much of a risk and Woakes adds more to the side. This attack has easily looked England's strongest at home in my lifetime.

Went to bed before the final session but good to see that we only lost 5 wickets in the session.

Australia's horrid squad selection is now coming back to bight. Can anyone seriously say that Burns would be doing worse than Bancroft or that they feel more confident with Wade at the crease than with Patterson? Wade did make the hundred but plenty of fortune went in to that. Patterson strikes me as a lot more consistent.

So next test which opener do we drop? Bancroft or Warner? Both deserve it but we only have one backup.

Last edited:

hazsa19

Is Jimmy even anywhere near returning? He’s not in the Lancs XI this week.

Reckon Curran will come in for Woakes for Headingley. I refuse to believe even Root would be stupid enough to give Woakes just 3 overs in bowler friendly conditions at Lords without an injury being involved.

hazsa19

Really Wokes is massively underrated. Should be Broad that gets dropped based on recent performances except that Broad massively ups his game against Australia.

Honestly I wouldn't play Anderson again this series. He's too much of a risk and Wokes adds more to the side. This attack has easily looked England's strongest at home in my lifetime.
Stop it

the big bambino

Well how about that! Root cheated. Just like Strauss in 2009. Decidedly a dodgy lot the poms. For a country that claims it doesn't like them it seems being a cheat is a requirement to captain England.

TheJediBrah

Just saw highlights and what was with the catch to dismiss Labu-sub-ne? There's no way that carried. Pretty crap 3rd umpiring

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Kind of a weird thing for me to be saying after all these years but feel like Woakes gets a bit overrated in these threads. Anderson, Archer and Broad is probably England best test seam attack. It's close between Broad and Woakes, and given Leach is in for Moeen, the batting argument really could be enough to tip it in Woakes favour. But purely with the ball I'd probably still back Broad as the more likely to deliver a match winning spell this series. Anderson and Archer are a level above though. Despite his age Anderson is basically at his peak level by almost any measurement, particularly in England.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Surprised there's confusion about the catch. Thought the general consensus was that it's hard to judge those on tv, but a lot look more not out than they actually are because of the 2D pictures. Either way, those are are pretty much always decided by the soft signal if there's doubt. I think that's a bit of a stupid way of doing things, since a lot of the time the umpires are just guessing, and even probably have their verdict influenced by how the fielders react. But it's just how they do it now. Broad's dismissal in the last Melbourne test was more iffy than this one IIRC.

Burgey

Matters not anyway in the scheme of things given the match was drawn. It'll at least make Root feel like he's done something, which is nice for him.