• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Recent content by neville cardus

1. neville cardus

All-rounder-heavy Test teams

The England team in the Ashes Test of 1882 contained no fewer than six all-rounders (Barlow, Grace, Barnes, Steel, Ulyett and Studd), which explains why in both innings it had front-line batsmen at number ten. I can't think of a line-up that even approximates this. Can anyone else?
  2. neville cardus

Cricket footage archive

Note to mods: This is not about sharing copyrighted material. It's about preserving it. Since discovering a couple of years ago, to my unspeakable horror, that no-one else was doing this, I've been religiously recording every ball I can of every Test Match, in a bid to preserve footage that...
  3. neville cardus

At the cricket

At about midday today, at SuperSport Park, in the fulgent heat of a highveld summer, I happened to descry a very small, very young boy being jostled for his umbrella by three very large security guards. Apparently the offending item was emblazoned with one or two too many corporate logos. The...
  4. neville cardus

The captaincy

Why does it seem always to go to batsmen? The question has been asked before, but I'm asking it with a slightly different point in mind: I don't think bowlers are merely under-represented, or that a fifty-fifty split would be fairer; I think the divide should be roughly what it is now, but with...
  5. neville cardus

Making the ball buzz

Bradman once likened the experience of facing Bill O'Reilly to facing "a swarm of bees," but I don't know that he had in mind the effect attributed to Mailey and Turner. The latter, according to CB Fry, "made the ball spin like a humming-top; you could hear the ball buzz in the air as it...
  6. neville cardus

Franchise cricket and Big Bash losses

What English cricket really needs, according to virtually everyone, is to follow the wildly successful Australian model: https://www.atthematch.com/article/the-big-bash-league-model-must-be-adapted-in-england England must learn from Big Bash and introduce franchises to benefit fans, players...
  7. neville cardus

Test cricket in Bangladesh

It's the absolute mustard, isn't it? I live for these low-scoring thrillers, and nowhere do we get them more regularly. A mixture of spin-friendly conditions and the proactive attitude of the home side -- especially its top order. I've watched every ball I can of the last three Tests in that...
  8. neville cardus

Women's cricket

Enjoyed the final, but I do wish they wouldn't bring in the boundaries. There are plenty of male cricketers who haven't the strength or the knack for six-hitting, and they get on just fine. No need to patronise the women. It can be a totally different game if we let it, all about touch and...
  9. neville cardus

Another cricketing myth

I played a game on matting last weekend. It was fast and springy, and to that extent a poor fit for my legbreaks, so I took instead to ripping a few top-spinners. It went well, but I was slightly irritated by the praise it won me. The umpire compared my style to that of Kumble and Afridi...
  10. neville cardus

Mpumalanga U19W v. Easterns U19W - December 12, 2016

Mpumalanga won by 42 runs, on the back of the most remarkable innings ever recorded: Charlize Swanepoel ... run out ... 0 (10) Shania-Lee Swart ... not out ... 160 (86) Nicolien van Rensburg ... b Sekukune ... 0 (7) Jammie de Vos ... b Sekukune ... 0 (1) Yonella Vellelo ... lbw De Neysschen ...
  11. neville cardus

Mushfiqur Rahim

What I'd give to comb this man's attic. There's almost certainly a seedy-looking portrait up there. Can you believe he's almost thirty?
  12. neville cardus

Over rates

Here's a mad idea: Why don't we revive the eight-ball over? With fewer transitions or change-overs, we'd be saving a helluva lot of time in the long run.
  13. neville cardus

White Ferns v Pakistan Women

Free (and legal) to view here, courtesy of New Zealand Cricket: https://livestream.com/WHITEFERNS/events/6581541
  14. neville cardus

Live Sheffield Shield coverage - video and commentary

I know that not all of you are as tragic as me, but I do think this deserves a shout-out: Live & Official Cricket Scores | cricket.com.au Especially since it's absolutely free.
  15. neville cardus

Five things I don't get about cricket

Legbyes. Why do we reward the batsman for missing the ball, and punish the bowler (or more accurately his team) for having bowled a ball which the batsman has missed? Marking one's guard. Why's this necessary? It takes forever (especially when I'm batting), and on some surfaces can be bloody...