• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Search results

1. The Sean

RIP Andy Ganteaume

This seems to have slipped under the radar here as far as I can see (my apologies if I've missed a thread to it), but Andy Ganteaume - owner of Test cricket's highest ever batting average - died earlier this week. He was 95 (so he outscored Bradman there too!). And as Tony Cozier relates in...
  2. The Sean

RIP Alfredo Di Stefano

Arguably the greatest - and almost certainly the most complete - all-round player the world game has ever produced has died in his spiritual home of Madrid aged 88. The only man to score in five European Cup finals, and it's fair to say he changed the way the game was played. RIP. Legend Di...
  3. The Sean

RIP Lonesome George

BBC News - Last Pinta giant tortoise Lonesome George dies I got a look at the big fella when I was in the Galapagos in 2006, so can now claim the rather dubious "honour" of having seen an endling in the flesh.
  4. The Sean

"Greatest Ever" Lists - A Modern Evolution

As we are now on the eve of the top 10 for the latest iteration the CW50, I thought it might be interesting to look at some of the better-known rankings of the past 15 years to assess how such lists have (or haven't) evolved, and to see how CW's opinions compare with the wider cricketing world...
  5. The Sean

Davo

A great little piece on Cricinfo for those of you who haven't seen it where Alan Davidson - one of my personal heroes and, in my opinion, one of the most under-rated of all the truly great bowlers - shares thoughts on, well, a lot of things. Alan Davidson: 'The only way you learn to bowl is to...
  6. The Sean

The CW50 - The Top 3

Pre-Christmas commitments meant I wasn't able to finish this yesterday like I planned to so it will have to be a Christmas Eve finale instead. As everyone knows who the top 3 are, it made little sense to draw it out into three separate posts...so without further ado, here are CricketWeb's Top 3...
  7. The Sean

The CW50 - No.4

We're just one short of the all time top three, and so the countdown continues with a footy player who spun leggies down in his spare time. 4. Shane Warne | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com Nominated by 100% of voters - highest ranking no.1 It is a testament not only to Shane...
  8. The Sean

The CW50 - No.5

To commence our pre-Christmas week we push on into your all time top five - and begin things with The Master himself. 5. Sir Jack Hobbs | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com Nominated by 85% of voters - highest ranking no.3 Sir John Berry Hobbs is - accoring both to this study and...
  9. The Sean

The CW50 - No.6

As our final entry for this working week, we take a look at the man who has been hero-worshipped by more cricket followers than any other... 6. Sachin Tendulkar | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com Nominated by 95% of voters - highest ranking no.3 “We have a young batsman in...
  10. The Sean

The CW50 - No.7

Two in one day - who said I don't spoil you lot? We continue our countdown with the one and only Lion of Lahore... 7. Imran Khan | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com Nominated by 92% of voters - highest ranking no.3 Imran Khan Niazi is a tall, dark and handsome Pakistani...
  11. The Sean

The CW50 - No.8

Apologies for the delay again, it's been a really busy week, but here we go again with your (real) choice of the number 8 cricketer of all time... 8. Sir Viv Richards | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com Nominated by 82% of voters - highest ranking no.3 Brutal, dominant, arrogant...
  12. The Sean

The CW50 - No.9

Apologies for the delay all, I was a little busy over the weekend - I'm hoping that with a little luck and good management I'll be able to keep counting these down at a rate of one per day from now on. Tonight, it is the turn of our all time no.9. 9. Malcolm Marshall | Cricket Players and...
  13. The Sean

The CW50 - No.10

Well here we are, right at the business end of our countdown - CW's top 10 cricketers of all time. Many great names have already been and gone in our list and now only the tiny elite remain. From now on, I will be counting down the final ten one at a time. So let's get started... 10. Sir...
  14. The Sean

The CW50 - No.20-11

So I did get to do this tonight after all, and so without further ado we enter CW's all time top 20, finishing tonight with the man who achingly just missed out on a hallowed place in your top 10. 20. Sir Ian Botham | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com Nominated by 47% of voters...
  15. The Sean

The CW50 - No.30-21

Tonight we continue our journey counting down who CricketWeb has voted as the 50 greatest cricketers of all time. We start things off with our all time number 30 and will count our way down all the way to the very edge of the top 20. This is getting serious now, folks... 30. Victor Trumper...
  16. The Sean

The CW50 - No.40-31

Well tonight we continue our countdown of who the members of CricketWeb have voted for as their 50 greatest ever cricketers. This time around, we take a look at the players who finished in positions 40 to 31... 40. Harold Larwood | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com Nominated by...
  17. The Sean

The CW50 - No.50-41

The votes are in, the counting has been completed, and without further delay here is part one of who the voters of CW have decided are the 50 greatest cricketers of all time. I'll be counting down in blocks of ten until number 11, and then will reveal the top 10 one by one. 50. Douglas...
  18. The Sean

The CW50 - No.51...

As a taster for the Top 50, I've decided to steal from TripleJ's hottest 100 countdown where they begin by naming the song which came in at number 101 and so just missed the cut. And so, let us join in commiserating with the player who came oh-so-close to breaking the top 50 but has to settle...
  19. The Sean

The CW 50 - CricketWeb's view of the top 50 cricketers of all time

Coming out of discussion in another thread, as well as numerous previous discussions down the years, I've always thought it would be a really interesting exercise if CW conducted a study much like the one ESPN did a few years back to rank the top 50 cricketers ever. I personally think that CW is...
  20. The Sean

Haydos Joins The Suits

Cricket Australia > Latest News > News A quick promotion to that level for Hayden, certainly when considering he probably didn't stand out as a likely contender in his playing days.