• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2022 World cup

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I thought it was already announced long back but lots of noise online today about the 2022 World Cup schedule, with it being in November/December

It makes sense given the location but will play havoc with European football. Assuming Tranmere aren’t somehow catapulted up the league by then it presumably means our fixtures will run parallel with the cup which will be strange and definitely take away a lot for me.

I know the world doesn’t revolve around Europe but the majority of the world cups players must be at European clubs. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

S.Kennedy

November is ideal for me as it doesn't interfere with the cricket season; I missed the end of a day of 2nd XI cricket for that semi-final!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I guess it will be fine and obviously a bit different. No doubt I will enjoy, but not having a summer world cup does mean one of the things I enjoy most about the summer won't be a thing.

vcs

I'm happy with it since Nov-Dec is relatively light for me, work-wise.

PL festive season fixtures replaced by WC matches sounds pretty good to me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It will be done before Xmas, no idea what schedule the top leagues will plan though

Uppercut

Logically it would be better to take a full break for the World Cup and extend the seasons until June.

My feelings sort of echo those of sledger/GIMH. I’ll really miss the summer WC personally but the world doesn’t revolve around me, and if we insist on a June WC every time that permanently rules out large parts of the world for climate reasons.

vogue

Actually Nov-Dec really good for me , from the POV of :

I don’t follow a particular football club so there will be no clashes( this is poor I know, I excuse this by the fact it’s a cricket loving area and football is secondary in these parts :ph34r:)
It’s Winter so the weather will be terrible so staying inside to watch will be a good distraction.
November is a depressing month, see above and it being end of the year feel so should brighten up the time before Christmas .

Tangles

I thought they were building indoor stadiums due to the climate. So a move to November must mean they didn't.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I refuse to recognise the 2022 World Cup.

Regardless of the corruption or how much of a **** Russia is as a country, it's the sort of country that should be hosting a World Cup.

Qatar getting it makes a mockery of football.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I suspect it might not truly feel like a world Cup tbh. Part of that will be down to it not being in June, but it kind of has that Stanford Series/IPL vibe to it. Not entirely illegitimate, but a bit tacky and just dripping in money.

wpdavid

I wonder if the Europe-based players might even benefit from it not being after a long domestic season.

But it isn't just the tournament itself, is it, unless the national sides will only spend a week or so together beforehand. And then of course it will finish just before the winter break that happens in some European countries. My guess is we'll start the domestic season a couple of weeks earlier as well as extending it into June.

GotSpin

I refuse to recognise the 2022 World Cup.

Regardless of the corruption or how much of a **** Russia is as a country, it's the sort of country that should be hosting a World Cup.

Qatar getting it makes a mockery of football.
Qatar is just a gross country

Uppercut

I suspect it might not truly feel like a world Cup tbh. Part of that will be down to it not being in June, but it kind of has that Stanford Series/IPL vibe to it. Not entirely illegitimate, but a bit tacky and just dripping in money.
I think it’ll go much like this one. There’ll be tons of noise about how rubbish, illegitimate, and politically problematic it’ll be for years leading up to it, which will all be instantly forgotten the second the football starts.