• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester

theegyptian

Overton was decent and showed some real fight with the bat. I wouldn't be dropping him just yet.

btw I wonder if anyone would have picked Chris Woakes to get dropped from the team half way through the series
Woakes has played in 13 series of 2 games or more and only twice (4 match series v Pakistan in 2016, and 2 match series in Bangladesh in 2016) has he played the whole series. So not really that surprising that he hasn't lasted the series here.

Dan

Global Moderator
With the alternatives England have around, I'm fine with persisting with Buttler at 6.

Curran's basically Test David Willey at the moment, but should really be invested in given he's the best performing foetus in world cricket. Plus COverton has a County Championship to win.

So something like:

Burns
Not Roy
Root
Stokes
Pope
Bairstow
Buttler
Woakes/Curran
Archer
Leach
Broad

stephen

I still think England only dropped Woakes because he was either injured or found out with the bat. His bowling was pretty good and better than Overton's bowling.

Lillian Thomson

I still think England only dropped Woakes because he was either injured or found out with the bat. His bowling was pretty good and better than Overton's bowling.
I know the England selectors aren't infallible, but dropping your first change bowler because he's found out with the bat would be bonkers by any standards.

theegyptian

Well Root was hardly bowling him so either he's not really fit, or he couldn't trust him to bowl more overs because he was bowling poorly. Woakes was crap that third test.

Spark

Global Moderator
I know the England selectors aren't infallible, but dropping your first change bowler because he's found out with the bat would be bonkers by any standards.
Would also call into question how Broad has been kept on for the last, oh, four years or so.

social

Botham

Final decision left to Root

Something something dressing room

Treatment of Woakes all series has been strange

Spark

Global Moderator
Ah, all I heard was Botham insinuating in the post-match that the reason was something ridiculous. That would fit that description if so

John1990

Botham

Final decision left to Root

Something something dressing room

Treatment of Woakes all series has been strange
The problem for Woakes is he's a weaker bowler than Archer, Anderson and Broad. He's a weaker all rounder overall than Stokes. He's not sharp.

The obvious mismanagement of Woakes was at Lord's where he should have taken the new ball. But on field I think the captain is going with gut instinct, which I can understand.

Archer might have edged Woakes out long term. Woakes can be a back up for Stokes or a seamer. I just think with Archer bursting on the scene Root isn't excited by Woakes anymore. Which is a shame, because Woakes is a good cricketer.