• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Long Name

Line and Length

I don't expect this thread to attract too many responses if any. I just wanted to share something I found interesting.

When it comes to names Sri Lankan cricketers often have quite long ones that must have commentators struggling at times.

I had cause to look up Akila Dananjaya recently - not an unremarkable name - and was gobsmacked when I saw his full name.

Here it is!

Mahamarakkala Kurukulasooriya Patabendige Akila Dananjaya Perera

ataraxia

The one in the OP is 64 chars; there's of course the famous Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas at 57 as well.

Herath Mudiyanselage Rangana Keerthi Bandara Herath tips the scales at 51, whereas 21-test quick Uda Walawwe Mahim Bandaralage Chanaka Asanka Welegedara wields 55.

There's plenty of big ones out there.

Howe_zat

Sri Lankans have a lot of pedigree in this area, but they’re yet to reach the level offered by the Fijians.

Ilikena Lasarusa Talebulamainavaleniveivakabulaimainakulalakebalau (born 15 November 1921) is a Fijian cricketer who played nine first-class matches for Fiji between 1947–48 and 1953–54. - Wikipedia

mr_mister

Luteru Ross Poutoa Lote Taylor

this bloke might hold the record for most names from a non-asian test nation, 5 would be hard to match I assume. I'm sure a few had 4 though, I know MacGill was SCG MacGill

vcs

The longest surname belongs to a first-class cricketer from Fiji

likena Lasarusa Talebulamainavaleniveivakabulaimainakulalakebalau

49 characters in that alone. Literally translated his name means "returned alive from Nankula hospital at Lakeba island in the Lau group".

https://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/24046.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I._L._Bula
Sri Lankans have a lot of pedigree in this area, but they’re yet to reach the level offered by the Fijians.

Ilikena Lasarusa Talebulamainavaleniveivakabulaimainakulalakebalau (born 15 November 1921) is a Fijian cricketer who played nine first-class matches for Fiji between 1947–48 and 1953–54. - Wikipedia
How about " Ilikena Lasarusa Talebulamainavaleniveivakabulaimainakulalakebalau"

https://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/player/24046.html
Thanks guys

Now tell us how it's supposed to be pronounced

NotMcKenzie

this bloke might hold the record for most names from a non-asian test nation, 5 would be hard to match I assume. I'm sure a few had 4 though, I know MacGill was SCG MacGill
Loads have four names; from memory:

P. B. H. May
S. P. D. Smith
A. P. E. Knott
P. C. R. Tufnell
M. J. K. Smith

...okay, that's five, but it's not that uncommon.

Edit:

Syed Mujtaba Hussein Kirmani
Syed Zaheer Abbas Kirmani

Not sure about number of characters, though.

Last edited:

fredfertang

England skipper John William Henry Tyler Douglas, dubbed 'Johnny Won't Hit Today' by our friends in the southern hemisphere

Migara

Loads have four names; from memory:

P. B. H. May
S. P. D. Smith
A. P. E. Knott
P. C. R. Tufnell
M. J. K. Smith

...okay, that's five, but it's not that uncommon.

Edit:

Syed Mujtaba Hussein Kirmani
Syed Zaheer Abbas Kirmani

Not sure about number of characters, though.
CEL Ambrose

Engle

WPUJC Vaas is the only cricketer whose initials are more than his last name - a trivia question to quiz your crowd

A.M.E Roberts
I.V.A Richards
R.G.Willis added a D for Dylan

Starfighter

Sheik Faoud Ahamul Fasiel Bacchus
Henry Thomas Raphael York Thornton (is he still a thing? Is he still injured? Cricinfo actually found him fifth initial too)

a massive zebra

By the end of his life, Mr Talebulamainavaleniveivakabulaimainakulalakebalau may hold two records: Longest surname and longest lived first class cricketer. He has about 5 years to go to beat the Oceanic continental record and 7 years to go to break the world record.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England skipper John William Henry Tyler Douglas, dubbed 'Johnny Won't Hit Today' by our friends in the southern hemisphere
Doesn't he have a gold medal in boxing from the 1908 Olympics too?

Actually I may have garnered this from the profile I think you penned, now I think about it. :ph34r: