• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A pessimistic look at Australia's WC chances

pasag

RTDAS
Which youngsters? Honestly Australia have to pick the right people, as the IPL showed, regardless of age. One of the younger players in the team, Michael Clarke is rubbish. Here's a team of Australians over 30s still playing T20 cricket that would have been equal (or near) favourites for the tournament, imo.

Hayden
Gilchrist
Hodge
Carseldine
Symonds
Hussey
Hussey
Warne
Nannes
Harwood
McGrath/Lee

irfan

Which youngsters? Honestly Australia have to pick the right people, as the IPL showed, regardless of age. One of the younger players in the team, Michael Clarke is rubbish. Here's a team of Australians over 30s still playing T20 cricket that would have been equal (or near) favourites for the tournament, imo.

Hayden
Gilchrist
Hodge
Carseldine
Symonds
Hussey
Hussey
Warne
Nannes
Harwood
McGrath/Lee
Yeah top team that. All of em either have a proven track record in the IPL or the Big Bash (except Lee). That middle order is loads betta than Ponting, Clarke, Haddin, Hopes etc.

aussie

Hayden
Gilchrist
Hodge
Carseldine
Symonds
Hussey
Hussey
Warne
Nannes
Harwood
McGrath/Lee
Its not really AUS fault Gilly, Hayden, Warne cant play really. Thats just how it is...

Not really sure Pigeon would really make sense in this format either at this age, why esle would the Delhi Daredevils called up Nannes in the IPL this year.

Really dont think Harwood would make that much of a difference in this format other than bowlers in the T20 squad other than Hilfenhaus, based on the T20 internationals i've seen him in TBH.

Carselidne have seen him in the IPL, looks a hitter no doubt - so i guess he would go better than Pup.

The problem with the players available to AUS is that in a T20 looking at IND & SA - is the lack of a spinner. Before this tournament i was of the strong belief AUS having Lee, Johnson, Siddle who can bow @ 145 would be the difference againts strong batting-sides. But clearly, such an attack becomes VERY one-dimentional if you dont have some spinners to give the attack some variety.

aussie

Ferguson is one our best limited overs finishers. He's like a neo Hussey.
Not in the ODI career so far no. He can finish yea, but he aint a six hitter. Ferguson would score 50 of 40 balls with 4/5 boundaries or something...

Hughes is a better bat than both Clarke and Marsh.
I was comparing Hughes as a possible T20 opening option to Marsh & Warner which ATM he probably won't offer much of difference to those two in that format.

cowboy up

Banned
Not in the ODI career so far no. He can finish yea, but he aint a six hitter. Ferguson would score 50 of 40 balls with 4/5 boundaries or something...

I was comparing Hughes as a possible T20 opening option to Marsh & Warner which ATM he probably won't offer much of difference to those two in that format.
at he moment keep hughes out of 20/20 and keep his head in the long form of the game,we dont want to get him out of his current form in the 4 and 5 day games,after the ashes then experiment with it.

inbox24

Marsh should never play international cricket.

The notion of keeping Hughes out of T20s for the sake of development is ludicrous. If such conservative thinking had been adopted then a whole bunch of great ODI players would never have played for Australia. It's just a ridiculous as the 'players can never be picked to bat out of position' theory.

aussie

Marsh should never play international cricket.
Haa...a bit OTT dont you think?

The notion of keeping Hughes out of T20s for the sake of development is ludicrous. If such conservative thinking had been adopted then a whole bunch of great ODI players would never have played for Australia. It's just a ridiculous as the 'players can never be picked to bat out of position' theory.
Well given AUS have Watson, Warner, Marsh as opener options. I dont think Hughes is needed at T20 level really.

chaminda_00

Well given AUS have Watson, Warner, Marsh as opener options. I dont think Hughes is needed at T20 level really.
Some would argue Hughes is natural opener and rest are makeshift openers. Therefore Hughes is a better option then all three.

Pretty sure when Watson plays for NSW. Hughes will open ahead of him. Though Jaques might open ahead of both in ODs.

Naumaan

SAD to say Australia's chances are over unfortunately, hey but don't worry Australia lost in a group consisting WESTINDIES & SRILANKA
whereas it's looking like Pakistan will be following them & feeling SHAME that we are being elimenated by ENGLAND & NETHERLANDS

Cruxdude

Hayden
Gilchrist
Hodge
Carseldine
Symonds
Hussey
Hussey
Warne
Nannes
Harwood
McGrath/Lee
This team would have pulled the Aussies down in a years times. Then back to square one.

Naumaan

This team would probably 've won you this championship i guess, you choose too good players to be matched by others

Andre

Anyone wanna have a stab at picking a post Twenty20 WC debacle Aussie side? (Say 15 for arguements sake)

Haddin (c)
Warner
Watson
Hodge
White
Ferguson
Johnson
Krejza
Geeves
Siddle
Holland

Hauritz
D Hussey
Hilfenhaus
Cosgrove.

inbox24

Best team possible:

Watson
Haddin
Warner
Hodge
Hussey
Hussey
Ferguson
Johnson
Hauritz
Nannes
Hilfenhaus

Lee
Clark
Siddle
Jaques

Top_Cat

According to Richard's theory of picking the guys with the best stats with no other considerations, the composition of the side is obvious;

Warner
Hughes
D Harris
Hodge
Carseldine
D Hussey
Crosthwaite
Bird
Nannes
Simpson
Rimmington

This side probably would have done better, tbh. Like the batting, the bowling's probably a bit erratic, though....

four_or_six

I'm going with my belief that the team wasn't a million miles away, and that it's a good idea for Ponting to let the T20's go, and it's pointless bringing in someone like Hodge now at his age.

Haddin
Warner
Watson
Clarke
D Hussey
Ferguson
White
Johnson
Lee
Haurtiz
<insert random bowler here>

Random bowler is a position that definitely needs to be sorted out.

Clarke is in on the proviso that he doesn't rest from any T20 matches in the future. He's too talented a batsman not to figure it out eventually, and he's a gun fielder and a more than useful bowling option.

Last edited:

stephen

Based on IPL form I'd certainly open with Hayden and Gilchrist.

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Hodge
Hussey
Hussey
Castledine
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Bracken