• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Flower...considering his future?

theegyptian

Collingwood currently at 25-1(Already come in from 33 today and 50 a week ago) with Stanjames. Seems like the kind of knee-jerk choice that could be made. Former player who works hard and is respected + having just taken Scotland to the world cup. Wouldn't be a good decision but could see it happening. Dav Whatmore second favourite right now behind Gilo with the bookmakers.

Can get on Bob Willis or Ian Botham at 100-1 or Punter

Last edited:

ganeshran

Batting has been impressive lately under Fletcher(at home). Need a good bowling coach to improve our side further.
Our batting has always been decent at home, even overseas batting has never looked hapless. but Fletcher has had close to 3 years to improve the bowling and has zilch to show for it.

Flower had just one major failure. He coached the site to three consecutive ashes and still got sacked. Under Fletcher, the team has lost just about everywhere and hasnt done anything noticeable overseas except winning the Champions trophy. There has to be some accountability

Shri

I can kinda see your point. Still is a good candidate to have around to blame when we crash out of the WC next year. We will have a new coach in 18 months.

Shri

BREAKING NEWS: Kevin Pietersen announces retirement from international cricket
"I feel like this is the right time to call it a day, i don't have much left to give and i'm just off the back of the crowning achievement of my career."

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Collingwood currently at 25-1(Already come in from 33 today and 50 a week ago) with Stanjames. Seems like the kind of knee-jerk choice that could be made. Former player who works hard and is respected + having just taken Scotland to the world cup. Wouldn't be a good decision but could see it happening. Dav Whatmore second favourite right now behind Gilo with the bookmakers.

Got the market up quickly!

wpdavid

All this does is paper over the cracks anyway. Changing coaches isn't going to have any affect on the **** cricket played in county cricket and the substandard players it creates.
That would be my take on it too, since we're no closer to replacing Collingwood than we were 3 years ago, we still have no clue who should replace Strauss at the top of the order, we have even less of an idea who should replace Swann and not much idea who should be the third seamer. Still, we can't expect the counties to place excellence ahead of chasing a quick buck and settling for mediocrity. Quite where we are going to find the 6 or 7 new players that the side needs is anyone's guess.

Good man, Andy Flower, and until the last 12 months a track record to treasure. I read somewhere that he might take on a development role within the ECB, which strikes me as a good thing. Perhaps he can instil a professional culture in the up and coming players that makes them more likely to push on and less likely to settle for 'doing enough' when they manage to enjoy any degree of success.

ganeshran

BREAKING NEWS: Kevin Pietersen announces retirement from international cricket
"I feel like this is the right time to call it a day, i don't have much left to give and i'm just off the back of the crowning achievement of my career."
:laugh: A series with SA is bad luck for English captains while KP in the team is bad luck for English coaches

Spikey

fred flintoff ‏@flintoff11
England's success was started by the foundations laid by Peter Moores after 2006-7s ashes, we need him again now but for longer ! #topcoach

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Think his brief boxing career has robbed Freddie of the wee bit of sense he had.

Or he's just trolling KP...

Last edited:
@JONO If Cook and Flower aren't working for some reason, then Flower has to go. But we can't say that for sure can we? I don't agree with this .. they have to sit and solve the problem and come out with the solution.

L Trumper

That would be my take on it too, since we're no closer to replacing Collingwood than we were 3 years ago, we still have no clue who should replace Strauss at the top of the order, we have even less of an idea who should replace Swann and not much idea who should be the third seamer. Still, we can't expect the counties to place excellence ahead of chasing a quick buck and settling for mediocrity. Quite where we are going to find the 6 or 7 new players that the side needs is anyone's guess.

Good man, Andy Flower, and until the last 12 months a track record to treasure. I read somewhere that he might take on a development role within the ECB, which strikes me as a good thing. Perhaps he can instil a professional culture in the up and coming players that makes them more likely to push on and less likely to settle for 'doing enough' when they manage to enjoy any degree of success.
This I don't understand, considering Flower's extraordinarily poor record bringing up younger players to england setup. Besides blaming the counties not gonna help anyone, considering all the young players comes through the ranks in england's performance system and ear marked from the beginning, none of whom actually did any thing of note so far. In fact last time england did a bit of revamp back in 2008-09, all the players who come in and became part of team are selected on back of their extraordinary county success apart from broad, who took 2-3 years to settle into the team.

Scaly piscine

Would sooner have Collingwood than Giles. Both have next to no track record - but Collingwood's is a lot more impressive.

theegyptian

Would sooner have Collingwood than Giles. Both have next to no track record - but Collingwood's is a lot more impressive.
Well Giles took Warwickshire from the second division to champions of the first division in his 5 years as director of cricket at warwickshire. So yes a little more track record than Collingwood who has a month as head coach as experience.

theegyptian

This I don't understand, considering Flower's extraordinarily poor record bringing up younger players to england setup. Besides blaming the counties not gonna help anyone, considering all the young players comes through the ranks in england's performance system and ear marked from the beginning, none of whom actually did any thing of note so far. In fact last time england did a bit of revamp back in 2008-09, all the players who come in and became part of team are selected on back of their extraordinary county success apart from broad, who took 2-3 years to settle into the team.

Look at this innings by Moeen Ali and tell me how this prepares him for international cricket. Here he faces 3 seamers none of which get over 75mph, one decent spinner in Patel and one bad spinner in Javid. Unfortunately there is way too much cricket and as a result you get way too many games like this where there is nothing riding on it and all decent bowlers are rested for first class cricket. This is hardly a one off. Watch any of the games on sky over the last few years in 40 over cricket and the standard has been woeful.

Look at the schedule for the upcoming season. Through June and July there is basically non stop cricket. 4 day game starting on Saturday or Sunday, day break then T20 game, day break and start again for basically 2 months.

The second division of the championship is terrible. Teams like Worcestershire and Leicestershire have a couple of good players and the rest are kids or failures.

They need to cut the amount of fixtures during the season by a 1/4 imo. They do that and players have more time for rehab and preparation. Teams get their best teams out more often. There are less dead games.

This isn't just some radical talk by myself brought on by the ashes. Read some of my posts from the domestic thread from the last two years. A lot of it has been me complaining about the standard of the cricket and the relentless schedule.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
To be honest, if you were going to start it up from scratch, the number of games isn't an issue. It's a really good thing IMO. If you were going to start up a domestic cricket competition from scratch, you'd have that many games, but less counties so that there was greater depth in teams and that tired, fatigued blokes (especially bowlers) could take a week off. The amount of cricket played (especially considering the level below is just league cricket, well below the standard of something like grade cricket in Aus) is an advantage of the English system, IMO.