• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Predictions

Pothas

Australia 2 England 1

Leading run scorer: Ponting, is an obvious point but he really is so crucial to this series and got a nasty feeling he is going to have a good one.

Most Wickets: Broad, will win England their test match.

Finn to do better than a lot of people expect but Tremlett to come in and do well when someone gets injured.

North to play every test.

Collingwood to be dropped by the 5th test.
Delighted to be wrong about pretty much everything apart from Tremlett.

Redbacks

There did seem to be quite a lot of Australian optimism we could win the series. I guess the end of the drought caught us by surprise as swing hasn't really played a part in Australian summers for ages, England improved a lot since 09 and we have declined.

If we want to retrospectively look back at a key turning point: 517/1 for mine

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah, 98 at Melbourne. After thrashing us to square the series, Boxing Day at Melbourne was the time to really grab the momentum and run with it. The pathetic capitulation summed up Australia's series perfectly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
3-1 to the good guys, that's England
Top runscorer - Kevin Pietersen. Watson for the filthy horrible crims.
Top wicket taker - Stuart Broad. Bollinger for the filthy horrible crims.
Dumpings - Many Aussies to dump their passports in a state of embarassment
Debutant/Returning players - Allan Border from the desperate convicts
Surprise Packet - wdfu_ben91 returns to congratulate England
Er, got the score right

ripper868

5-0 Australia
Top runscorer - Dogscratch, Mussey, Strauss
Top wicket taker - Dougeh, Swann
Dumpings - KP's missus, Bronte's Surf
Debutant/Returning players - Siddle, Flintoff, Spofforth
Surprise Packet - Cheese and Onion Samboy's
Well got the run scorer for aus, and i'm pretty sure someone got dumped at Bronte.

andyc

Interesting to see no one as yet predicting against their team to win.

Result: 3-1 Australia
Runs: Ponting and Strauss
Wickets: Hilfenhaus and Broad
Dumpings: North and possibly Hauritz
Returns/debuts: Usman Khawaja, Phil Hughes, Steve Smith
Surprises: Watson to get injured by the third Test, after which Hughes will gun it. Also, one hattrick will be taken (worth a shot).
Picked the scoreline, just the wrong team. Runs and wickets all wrong. Returns were on the money, though obviously a few missing.

And I've said it before but still so chuffed about the hattrick call.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Scoreline: 3-1 Australia
Top Runscorers: Ricky Ponting and Paul Collingwood
Top Wicket Takers: Peter Siddle and Graeme Swann
Debutant/Returning Players: Usman Khawaja, Peter Siddle
Suprise Package: Siddle's Sizzling Summer
Scoreline is the wrong way around.
Run scorers were easily the two most disappointing batsman, a big no for me on this one.
Wicket takers finished in 2nd and 3rd for their country.
Debutant/Returning players was a decent call and I'm happy with Siddle's summer.

MW1304

Us in 1986/7 comes to mind.

As for predictions:

Score: 2-2 draw thus England retain blah blah.. Hmm much too under-confident there.

Top Runscorers: Ricky Ponting overall; Ian Bell for England. Gah. Horribly wrong with the first and just wrong with the second. Did anyone see Cook coming?

Top Wicket Takers: Mitchell Johnson, so good on home conditions, overall; Stuart Broad for England. Correct about Johnno (though not overall), majorly out with Broady, although hard to predict an injury.

Failures: Have a feeling Steven Finn might get dropped - not playing too badly but because Tremlett is more useful at this stage, also Colly might have a tough time; Hauritz at some point. Woohoo got the Finny bit right, although Tremmers came in under different circumstances. Colly did have a tough time but didn't get dropped. Hauritz should have come in, i'm claiming that one.

Returning: Tremlett, Morgan; Siddle. Morgs wrong, others right

Surprise Packages: Marcus North will be very good and consistent :laugh:; Belly. Belly surprised the aussies :) and...North...well...
As above.

four_or_six

4-0 England (one match to be washed out)
Top runscorer - Alistair Cook (Watto for Aussies)
Top wicket taker - James Anderson (Watto for Aussies).
Dumpings - Mid-series: North, Hussey, Hauritz. End-series: Ponting.
Debutant/Returning players - Xavier Doherty
Surprise Packet - Mark Nicholas will win an award for his commentary, and will be knighted in the Xmas honours list in 2011.
4-0 - not bad, forgot about Johnson knowing how to bowl in Perth.
Runscorer - who said no-one expected Cook to do well?! Watto not too far off.
Wickettaker - Well was always going to be Jimmy, no-brainer. Watto should have bowled more.
Dumpings - well at least I got North, Hussey way off, Hauritz should have started the series anyway. Ponting may well yet leave.
Debutant - Should have had more in here!
Mark Nicholas - Time will tell.

flibbertyjibber

2-1 to England

Top runscorer - Strauss overall with Clarke for the convicts.
Top wickettakers - Johnson and Swann.
Dumpings - North and Hauritz.
Returningplayers/Debutants - Khawaja,Siddle and Hughes.
Surprise Package - Bell
Johnson :-O

North and Hauritz dumped. :)

All my returning players/debutants. :)

Surprise package did well. :)

Not too bad, been better but also worse on here.

zaremba

2-1 to England

Top runscorer - Strauss overall with Clarke for the convicts.
Top wickettakers - Johnson and Swann.
Dumpings - North and Hauritz.
Returningplayers/Debutants - Khawaja,Siddle and Hughes.
Surprise Package - Bell
Someone might tot up who's done the best with their predictions, but on the face of it these seem the most accurate

turnstyle

Result - Australia (3-1)
Runs - Watto to bash 500+ without not converting a 50, Broad to be hailed the next next Botham.
Wickets - Johnson (at least half from balls outside leg), Broad.
Dumping - Finn, Pieterson, Hussey after the WACA test.
Debutant - Morgan to slot back into 6, Khawaja to take Hussey's, O'Keefe to chose which player's spot he'll take from a lucky dip at the Christmas dinner.
Surprise - A 6th Test.
- Scoreline right but to the wrong team
- LOL at Watto. So close.

Rest was meh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Someone might tot up who's done the best with their predictions, but on the face of it these seem the most accurate
Ahem

Scoreline: 2-1 England - Right winners, seems I over-rated Australia
Top Runscorers: Kevin Pietersen, Michael Clarke - Pietersen a reasonable call, Clarke just dire
Top Wicket Takers: Mitchell Johnson, James Anderson - Both correct
Dumpings: Marcuss North, Nathan Hauritz, Steven Finn - All correct
Debutant/Returning Players: Usman Khawaja, Steven Smith. Tremlett will come in for Finn after the 2nd Test - All correct, with the exception of who Tremlett came in for and why
Suprise Package: Ian Bell will ton up twice in the series. - Reasonable. Tonned up at Sydney and could have tonned up at Brisbane or Adelaide had circumstances differed