• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia is on fire.

Gnske

There's always the few ruining the efforts of the majority to do any good. Didn't some woman in Sydney get named and shamed for stealing or attempting to steal RFS supply donations?

Burgey

You'd expect the mob which gave the world George Pell to stuff it up even on a rare occasion when they're trying to do some good.

Adders

Pews.......how do you feel about the discussion of religion in this thread and its effect on the fires?

honestbharani

We had haze and fog here in Tamilnadu due to the seasonal burning of crops in Punjab and the polluted air from Delhi. These things do happen.

Daemon

We had haze and fog here in Tamilnadu due to the seasonal burning of crops in Punjab and the polluted air from Delhi. These things do happen.
Yeah we get some from Indonesia all the time too. There's a slight difference in terms of distance from North to South India and Australia to South America though.

Could well be possible ofc, idk.

honestbharani

The earth being spherical for the most part may have something to do with it, given where Australia and South America are? Flat earthers may hate it though. :)

Spikey

Reminder to keep the poltical stuff in the political thread where we've already been discussing the fires for ages. We don't really need two separate threads if we're going to do it in both.
I meant to joke that this thread would almost certainly become more political. i really missed the boat

Gnske

I meant to joke that this thread would almost certainly become more political. i really missed the boat
It was always going to naturally get there one way or another. To avoid it would be like #nofap

Spikey

Surely that's fake news. Must have come from one of the numerous forests burning in South America.
The cloud of smoke caused by raging bushfires in Australia has been spotted more than 12,000 kilometers (7,400 miles) away in Chile and Argentina, weather authorities in the South American countries said on Monday.

In the early hours "the effect was seen in the sun through red tones. This effect was produced by a cloud of smoke that comes from the fires," Chile Meteorology chief, Patricio Urra, told AFP.

The cloud has risen to 6,000 meters (6,500 yards) above sea level and there is no meteorological reason for it to fall back to earth, said Urra.

It poses no threat to Chileans.

The Argentine Meteorological Service published satellite images of the cloud saying it had been "transported by frontal systems that move from west to east."

However, it added that all that would be visible was "a sun that's a little redder."

Regional meteorological company Metsul said the cloud could even reach Rio Grande del Sur state in Brazil.
https://news.yahoo.com/australian-bushfire-cloud-visible-chile-argentina-221802552.html

harsh.ag

What are some singularities of Australian life - architecture, common knowledge and training, helpline numbers, insurance etc - that exist because of the possibilities of such fires?

Burgey

I'm not entirely sure, as I live in the city so would defer to others who are on the periphery or in the bush. But I guess the various volunteer fire services for one. Little in the way of architecture that I'm aware of. It's common if you're near the bush to have a cleared zone around your house, but the fires are so intense they often jump the clearings, and in any event that doesn't protect you from ember attacks. Back in the day they used to tell people to put cricket balls in the down pipes and fill the gutters with water to stop the embers getting under the eaves and into the roof of a place. But now, i don't know. They do as much as they can re notifying people - we have a pretty thorough danger rating system and the communications now are pretty bloody good, which I suppose is why there's been 20 odd deaths and not hundreds like Black Saturday only 12 years or so ago.

Insurance - well, premiums are high if you're in a bush fire zone, but as far as I know the companies do not refuse to insure at all. They're pretty aware of the consequences from a PR pov of refusing claims in circumstances like this. Which is unlike when Cyclone Tracey hit Darwin at Xmas 1974, and the insurers all said it was an act of god. Whitlam was on holidays in Croatia at the time and flew straight home, got off the plane and said to them "Act of God? This is an Act of Gough - you either pay the claims or you won't be in business next year." They paid.

I notice today Scotty from marketing has had a presser telling Australians and the world to holiday here. Obviously doesn't apply to government MPs, Ministers and Leaders.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah we get some from Indonesia all the time too. There's a slight difference in terms of distance from North to South India and Australia to South America though.

Could well be possible ofc, idk.
Roaring Forties are a thing tbf. A lot of smoke being dumped at that latitude and it'll just zip around the planet.

Adders

My Bro was due to come over for a visit next month but has cancelled due to the fires. Can't say I blame him, this is hardly a choice holiday destination right now. Can't remember when I last saw the sun.