• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic off season 2020

GoodAreasShane

#Bertcoachmentum
What, in first grade you mean?????

Seriously though, probably can't see him in the round 1 Shield team if everyone is available, but if he makes runs as those in the team do their usual thing and collapse at the drop of a hat it won't be too long until he finds his possession of a new bright baggy red

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What, in first grade you mean?????

Seriously though, probably can't see him in the round 1 Shield team if everyone is available, but if he makes runs as those in the team do their usual thing and collapse at the drop of a hat it won't be too long until he finds his possession of a new bright baggy red
Might depend how many grade/Futures games there are before the season. Bertus is king of those, especially early season because he's a troll like that.

It might also depend on if they see him as a genuine opener or not. You'd struggle to find someone in NSW who thought Henry Hunt was better than him.

GoodAreasShane

Might depend how many grade/Futures games there are before the season. Bertus is king of those, especially early season because he's a troll like that.

It might also depend on if they see him as a genuine opener or not. You'd struggle to find someone in NSW who thought Henry Hunt was better than him.
Pretty sure Futures has been mothballed for the year

Agree that breaking in as an opener would probably be easier, been a point of weakness for years over here. Hence Weatherald hasn't ever been under much pressure during his lean runs, despite not kicking on to quite the level many would have hoped he's still the most talented opener around here by a mile. Hunt showed some promise on occasion without being entirely convincing, and the stocks are as thin as ever with the previous option missing time with a broken arm and his predecessor primarly batting at 3 and 4 these days (although cutting him entirely wasn't the answer imo).

Generally had at least one weak link opener since waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the days after Paul Nobes finished up

honestbharani

I think Australia would be better served with a Duke ball than India tbh. I mean, Smith and Labushagne i the Ashes with it moving sideways compared with Kohli who nicks off to outies for a living in similar conditions. No guarantee it would do anything like as much in Australia as in England anyway.

Certainly agreed the Kooka has sucked for a lot of years now though. Ever since they started machine stitching, imho but I might just be old fashioned. They used to have a much prouder seam and consistent colour than they do now. Seems like they let a lot of lesser quality balls go out the door than they used to.

Lol... at least he doesn't need Anderson out to actually score runs in England. :ph34r:

But seriously, its always about the seam, isn't it? I agree that the problem has only been since they started machine stitching the seam. Dunno if it is actually possible t make it more prominent even whilst machine stitching it. Obviously overhead conditions matter a lot but a prouder seam will certainly help all types of bowlers more, esp. in conditions like Australia or India or UAE where if you do get a flat wicket, the bowlers are almost hopeless.

Shady Slim

give australia the duke so we can finally shut the people up who only watch the australian summer then spout nonsense about david warner being elite and not the biggest flat track paper tiger in recent memory, and then and only then will i be satisfied with the state of australian cricket

GotSpin

give australia the duke so we can finally shut the people up who only watch the australian summer then spout nonsense about david warner being elite and not the biggest flat track paper tiger in recent memory, and then and only then will i be satisfied with the state of australian cricket
Most people generally know this

GoodAreasShane

Can do to QLD. Will probably be a good shout of getting a few 50 over games considering most of the QLD fast bowlers are better with red ball than white

Burgey

GAS, do you know whether SACA is sorting out exemptions for players coming across from the eastern States?