• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic off season 2020

GoodAreasShane

Confirmed - Bert to NDs in Adelaide with a view to cracking the SA Shield side
So he's going to playing his cricket in Salisbury now? Wow, that's... brave

Seriously though certainly can't say I ever saw that one coming. Think he would actually be a better than 50% chance of being under consideration for the Shield team almost straight away. Knowing how threadbare the Northern Districts batting stocks are they would be probably not want to lose him, they have Mark Cosgrove still turning out when he is in Australia/can be bothered and pretty much sfa else. Real big fish in a small pond type stuff

GoodAreasShane

Queensland squad:

Nationally contracted: Joe Burns, Marnus Labuschagne

State squad: Xavier Bartlett, Max Bryant, Brendan Doggett, Blake Edwards, Sam Heazlett, Usman Khawaja, Matthew Kuhnemann, Nathan McSweeney, Michael Neser, Lachlan Pfeffer, Jimmy Peirson, Matt Renshaw, Billy Stanlake, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street, Mitch Swepson, Jack Wildermuth, Jack Wood

Rookies: Jack Clayton, Benji Floros, Corey Hunter, Connor Sully, Matthew Willans

IN: Jack Wood (new), Jack Clayton (rookie), Benji Floros (rookie)

OUT: Cameron Gannon (WA), Charlie Hemphrey (Glamorgan), Alister McDermott, Jack Prestwidge

Not a great deal of changes here, Gannon westward bound long confirmed, Alister McDermott unfortunately had his back go on him yet again. Benji Floros is indeed the younger brother of Jason, a fast bowler who like the rest of his family is of an indoor cricket background

Victoria squad:

Nationally contracted: Aaron Finch, Glenn Maxwell, James Pattinson

Squad: Scott Boland, Xavier Crone, Travis Dean, Zak Evans, Jake Fraser-McGurk, Seb Gotch, Peter Handscomb, Sam Harper, Marcus Harris, Mackenzie Harvey, Jon Holland, Nic Maddinson, Jono Merlo, Tom O'Connell, Wil Parker, Mitch Perry, Will Pucovski, Matthew Short, Will Sutherland.

Rookies: Sam Elliott, Tom Jackson, Patrick Rowe, Todd Murphy, Brody Couch, Cameron McClure

IN: Wil Parker, Brody Couch (rookie), Tom Jackson (rookie), Cameron McClure (rookie), Todd Murphy (rookie).

OUT: Peter Siddle (Tasmania), Chris Tremain (NSW), Andrew Fekete (retired), Aaron Ayre, Jackson Coleman, Jake Reed, Eamonn Vines, Ed Newman

Quite an extensive turnover here, especially among the pace bowling stocks, losing both Siddle and Tremain is a massive blow to their attack, and they have largely went with homegrown rookies to replace them. Wil Parker commits himself to cricket over taking a shot in the AFL draft, clearly they are grooming him as the successor when Holland moves on eventually

GoodAreasShane

And now for the NSW squad

Nationally contracted:

Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner, Adam Zampa

State squad:

Sean Abbott, Harry Conway, Trent Copeland, Ben Dwarshuis, Jack Edwards, Mickey Edwards, Matthew Gilkes, Ryan Hackney, Liam Hatcher, Moises Henriques, Daniel Hughes, Nick Larkin, Nathan McAndrew, Peter Nevill, Kurtis Patterson, Daniel Sams, Jason Sangha, Daniel Solway, Chris Tremain

Rookies:

Oliver Davies, Ryan Hadley, Baxter Holt, Arjun Nair, Lachlan Hearne, Tanveer Sangha

IN: Chris Tremain (VIC), Adam Zampa (SA), Nathan McAndrew

OUT: Steve O’Keefe (retired), Nick Bertus (SA), Ryan Gibson, Daniel Fallins, Chad Sammut, Greg West, Param Uppal

GoodAreasShane

South Australia 2020-21 contract list

CA contracted: Alex Carey, Travis Head, Kane Richardson,

Redbacks contracted: Wes Agar, Will Bosisto, Tom Cooper, Brad Davis, Daniel Drew, Callum Ferguson, David Grant, Henry Hunt, Jake Lehmann, Conor McInerney, Joe Mennie, Harry Nielsen, Lloyd Pope, Luke Robins, Chadd Sayers, Cameron Valente, Jake Weatherald, Nick Winter, Daniel Worrall

Rookies: Jacob Dickman, Corey Kelly, Thomas Kelly, Tim Oakley, Liam Scott

In: Bosisto, Davis, Drew, C Kelly, T Kelly, Scott

Out: Alex Ross, John Dalton, Tom Andrews (Tasmania), Adam Zampa (New South Wales), Patrick Page Jnr, Spencer Johnson, Ben Pengelley

Underwhelming to say the least, absolutely nothing done to address the long standing fragility of the top and middle order. Nothing. Even giving Bertmentum a contract, while it certainly wouldn't solve the problem, would have shown some attempt to do something to actually improve in some way, instead they have just pretty much exchanged decent grade cricketers for decent slightly more experienced grade cricketers.

Wooden spoon here we come

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The extent of Pope's opportunities might depend on whether Liam Scott can lock down a spot. It'd be a lot easier to carry a leg spinner all the time if someone in the top six or seven bowled some handy seamers like Scott does; I can see them going with four quicks + Bosisto's offies half the time if Scott doesn't crack the side.

Burgey

I'll back Bert to nail down a spot in the SA side tbh. The batting hasn't been great for a long time over there. Surprised they didn't offer him a contract, but he must have got a nod from them or he wouldn't have moved.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'll back Bert to nail down a spot in the SA side tbh. The batting hasn't been great for a long time over there. Surprised they didn't offer him a contract, but he must have got a nod from them or he wouldn't have moved.
How much opening did he do for Parra? I know he opened in Futures for a little while. SA's openers in particularly have been dire for what seems like decades.

Burgey

Yeah he opened a fair bit. Never batted below three. Could certainly do it pretty handily. Did less of it when he was keeping.

Burgey

I might have to dust off the creams and skipper fives, with the players Parra has lost tbh. Either open or bat five, stand at first slip and yell abuse at teenagers failing to execute basic skills is kind of my jam.

GoodAreasShane

Yeah he opened a fair bit. Never batted below three. Could certainly do it pretty handily. Did less of it when he was keeping.
Yeah having given the matter more thought I think he is probably more likely to get in as an opener than anywhere else, as Cribb says it has been an area of weakness for quite some time over here

I rate Weatherald highly as a natural ballstriking talent but he's been far too hot and cold as a FC player. As for the second opener, that's just an absolute revolving door

TheJediBrah

I might have to dust off the creams and skipper fives, with the players Parra has lost tbh. Either open or bat five, stand at first slip and yell abuse at teenagers failing to execute basic skills is kind of my jam.
So basically analogous to your cricketweb posting