• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Coach in the Cup

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It is tempting to go for the winning coach & Italy were unquestionably very well drilled, so Lippi is a fair shout.

Hiddink was impressive as ever, but rather blotted his copy-book with the selection of the custodian for the final group game. Scolari's Portugal were hard to beat, but played with a crippling lack of ambition. Pekerman made some appallingly negative changes in Argentina's QF & his team was rightly punished.

For mine tho, it's the dive bomber himself, Herr Klinsmann. Germany played with a joy that one doesn't immediately associate with the great but boringly, ruthless efficient German teams of yore. I know they reached the final last time, but with knock-out games v Paraguay, the US & South Korea they jolly well should have. I rememeber watching Ballack & thinking "you're too good for this mob, son"; this time, however the younger Germans have raised thier game to his standards. In Lahm, Frings, Schweinsteiger (sp?) & Podolski they have a core of talented young players who will all be closer to their peak in 4 years. He may've vacated, but Jurgen's left a golden inheritence.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
He may've vacated, but Jurgen's left a golden inheritence.
Now watch them employ Toppmöller and leave Lahm with standing orders never to move further than his own penalty area.

ash chaulk

Samuel_Vimes said:
Now watch them employ Toppmöller and leave Lahm with standing orders never to move further than his own penalty area.
klinsman was awesome very exciting football he made

cricketboy29

Hiddink and Klinnsman for me. Pekerman ruined it for his team, by making defensive changes as Brumby pointed out, I thought Scolari managed pretty well actually, just beaten by a better team on the day.

Great Birtannia

cricketboy29 said:
I thought Scolari managed pretty well actually, just beaten by a better team on the day.
LOL.

Using Ronaldo as a lone centre forward when chasing the game against 10 men. Genius.

Repeating the dose in the next game when it failed spectacularly. Give the man the noble prize for science :unsure:

Last edited:

cricketboy29

Hahaha, Unless it's sports science you're talking about, I'm not sure why you would want to. I'd definitely give him a star for creativity though...:P

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Definitely Klinsmann.

I don't think anyone who even considered Zeljko Kalac as fit to grace the World's greatest statge is worth mentioning...

steds

Neil Pickup said:
I don't think anyone who even considered Zeljko Kalac as fit to grace the World's greatest statge is worth mentioning...
Plus using a one man advantage for 40 minutes to... sit back and hope for extra time.

FaaipDeOiad

Klinsmann and Hiddink, head and shoulders above the pack. Klinsmann first though, because of the Kalac blunder.