• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever medium pacer?

tony p

Test wise, Alec Bedser, Terry Alderman, Vernon Philander.

Cricket in general,
Tom Cartwright.
Derek Shackleton
Alec Kennedy
Trevor Bailey.
Ewart Astill
Maurice Tate.

They could all bowl quicker spells, but were regarded as medium-pace, very occasionally fast-medium.

Pup Clarke

Trent Copeland on his debut v SL in 2011 - rarely got the ball over 120ks. Looks a fair bit quicker in recent Shield footage

EDIT : I mean he's obvs not the best, just immediately stood out as a genuine medium pace front-line bowler

Last edited:

Kirkut

Praveen Kumar was gun against ATG English batting line up. Pollock is probably the best ever medium pacer

Migara

Praveen Kumar was gun against ATG English batting line up. Pollock is probably the best ever medium pacer
Pollock would have been medium fast at his worst. He bowled some off cutters in SL, and those were clocked at 70-75mph. That is the slowest I have seen bowling him.

On his heyday, Pollock was genuinely fast.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Trent Copeland on his debut v SL in 2011 - rarely got the ball over 120ks. Looks a fair bit quicker in recent Shield footage
Nah that's more or less what he bowls. He's tall and uses his height well so can look quicker off the deck in Aus, by he bowls low to mid 120s.

Bolo.

It's hard thinking of guys I would call medium from the era of speedguns who played more than a couple of games. Of the guys mentioned on this page, Kumar is definetly a medium-fast in my definition, Ealham (who I dont remember) is listed as a medium-fast, and Pollock ranged from pure fast to medium-fast.

I can only really think of Cronje and Waugh who had proper length careers and werent rubbish.

Fuller Pilch

Gavin "the postman" Larsen was one of the best middle-over economical bowlers of the 1990s (e/r of 3.76). He only played 8 tests but took 24 wickets at 28.7 (e/r of 2.10).