• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentary

longtom

I'm pretty sure it's the other way round for Germans - because "w" is pronounced as "v" in German, they pronounce "Wales" as "Vales".

You may be thinking of Russians.
W in German is pronounced like v in very. Germans very often say fery and speak the w in water like a v in very.

Trust me, I know. I am German and listen to Germans speaking English every day...

Smith

Banned
Well, I cannot understand this brouhaha about correct pronounciation of w, v etc by subcontinental commentators. Considering they make up 80% of the cricketing world, subcontinental english should be the de facto language for commentary in World events like the T20 championships. [/Stirring the pot]

longtom

Fully faltoo. Much like American English, Australian English and English English.
...and German English...but you will be hard pressed to hear that one in a cricket commentary box.

Than again, if I had my way....:laugh:

Howsie

Well, I cannot understand this brouhaha about correct pronounciation of w, v etc by subcontinental commentators. Considering they make up 80% of the cricketing world, subcontinental english should be the de facto language for commentary in World events like the T20 championships. [/Stirring the pot]
8-)

Yeah because people like Wasim Akram are good to listen to.

superkingdave

Had the misfortune of listening to the dulcetl tones of Alec Stewart on the drive home today, truly a diabolical commentator

Jamee999

I know he's not on the commentary, but in the studio, but Nick Knight is one of my favourite analysts. Knowledgable about the game, is still of the same generation of the current players, so, as opposed to some of the analysts, he's in touch with the pace of the modern game, and knows the players, but is also detatched enough to be able to critisise when needed. He's also a very good speaker, and puts over his point in a very cool, logical style. Mucho respecto.

superkingdave

I know he's not on the commentary, but in the studio, but Nick Knight is one of my favourite analysts. Knowledgable about the game, is still of the same generation of the current players, so, as opposed to some of the analysts, he's in touch with the pace of the modern game, and knows the players, but is also detatched enough to be able to critisise when needed. He's also a very good speaker, and puts over his point in a very cool, logical style. Mucho respecto.
Nah, talks plenty of crap, not a fan.

King Pietersen

Just said how Albie Morkel would get into our side as a 3rd seamer alone =/ Definitely don't agree with that, he's been in very poor form with the ball in the last few months. Suppose he's basing that on the 1 over he bowled against England.....

zaremba

I agree. He's not always right but he's interesting, shares technical analysis with the viewer and isn't afraid to disagree (in an articulate and reasoned way) with his co-pundits. An asset to the team. We need more of his sort and less of Ian Botham.

King Pietersen

Oh I agree. I didnt' like the Morkel comment, but generally his punditry has been very solid. Certainly more interesting than listening to Botham and Hussain. He did a very good job of hosting a show a few months back as well, think it was the Womens World Cup. I like him.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I agree. He's not always right but he's interesting, shares technical analysis with the viewer and isn't afraid to disagree (in an articulate and reasoned way) with his co-pundits. An asset to the team. We need more of his sort and less of Ian Botham.
Yes, that is my favourite thing about Knight, he engages in interesting debate with his colleagues. I like most of the commentary team, but Knight adds something different and fresh, less inclined to be part of a yes-crowd.

Where's Gower been for this one by the way, haven't seen him?

Jungle Jumbo

Shame they couldn't have wheeled in Willis for a game or two as well, there would be ample things for him to moan about.