• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crap Innings thread

G.I.Joe

Yeah, there was an air of inevitability to the innings. It would have required a man in the form of his life to salvage the situation.

weldone

In spite of being a Rahane fan (I consider him to be the most promising Indian batsman ahead of Kohli), I don't think his game is suited to playing at no. 4 in ODI while chasing 330. That's the precise reason I always advocated swapping him and Kohli in the batting order - but many in CW opposed me at that time, including PEWS IIRC. The counter-argument was to always have your best ODI batsman Kohli at no. 3, something I'm strongly opposed to. Rahane is not a great finisher in tensed big chases. If he can't play as an opener, play him at no. 3 so that at least he can play his natural game. His natural game is aggressive in general, too. He sometimes can't play his natural game under tremendous scoreboard pressure (same with Rohit). On the other hand, all of Kohli, Raina and Dhoni are excellent finishers. Let the top 3 play their natural game, and nos. 4-6 finish with surgical precision.

Why do we have to glue Kohli at no. 3 with an adhesive? Haven't the best batsmen played at no. 4, ever?

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, there was an air of inevitability to the innings. It would have required a man in the form of his life to salvage the situation.
Yeah from listening to Dhoni in post game interviews it's clear he had absolutely no faith in his lower order and in hindsight he clearly batted like someone who knew the game was up.

Also begs the question wtf he's doing batting down at 6 when he's the last man in with such a poor lower order. He should have been in at 5, so he can come in and arrest the slide and rebuild the innings with batting to come, not at a point where it's 'well it's all on you big guy, good luck.'

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also I need to qualify this post by saying that while I'm no expert on the technical aspects of batting, Kohli looked all at sea technically during his innings, there were a couple of balls that went by him where his bat was all over the place. Where he went wrong wasn't necessarily panicking and trying to hit the big shot either, it was just playing the wrong shot. The ball that got him was too wide to pull with the angle, it should have disappeared through point instead.

Midwinter

Yeah from listening to Dhoni in post game interviews it's clear he had absolutely no faith in his lower order and in hindsight he clearly batted like someone who knew the game was up.

Also begs the question wtf he's doing batting down at 7. He should have been in at 5, so he can come in and arrest the slide and rebuild the innings with batting to come, not at a point where it's 'well it's all on you big guy, good luck.'
Disagree.

When Dhoni came in there was still Rahane, Jadeja and Ashwin to bat with him.
Run rate was less than 10, they let it get out to 15 before he hit the sixes off Watson. Then they started running singles off every ball.

It looked like another of Dhoni's famous "I'll win this off the last ball" innings but the Oz bowlers tightened their line and did not give him anything to hit and he then realised singles weren't going to win it. It was too late.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In fact I'm also going to put this out there: Dhoni is cake with icing tendencies and should be coming in at 4 after Kohli. India need to find a hitter or two to come in after him in the order.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Disagree.

When Dhoni came in there was still Rahane, Jadeja and Ashwin to bat with him.
Run rate was less than 10, they let it get out to 15 before he hit the sixes off Watson. Then they started running singles off every ball.

It looked like another of Dhoni's famous "I'll win this off the last ball" innings but the Oz bowlers tightened their line and did not give him anything to hit and he then realised singles weren't going to win it. It was too late.
Jadeja and Ashwin are crap one day batsmen.

Contra

Jadeja's fine, he hasn't had much of a hit all tournament and can't be relied on consistently when chasing 150 off 80 or w/e it was when he came in. Ashwin is genuinely bad, or rather he simply doesn't have the shots to hit out.

Anyways I know Dhoni loves talking about wanting the other players to bat up the order and get their chances and develop. But now that the WC is over I genuinely wish he bats @ 4 after Kohli and plays the big innings and give some other players so they can develop into the next "Dhoni" so to speak.

Daemon

In spite of being a Rahane fan (I consider him to be the most promising Indian batsman ahead of Kohli), I don't think his game is suited to playing at no. 4 in ODI while chasing 330. That's the precise reason I always advocated swapping him and Kohli in the batting order - but many in CW opposed me at that time, including PEWS IIRC. The counter-argument was to always have your best ODI batsman Kohli at no. 3, something I'm strongly opposed to. Rahane is not a great finisher in tensed big chases. If he can't play as an opener, play him at no. 3 so that at least he can play his natural game. His natural game is aggressive in general, too. He sometimes can't play his natural game under tremendous scoreboard pressure (same with Rohit). On the other hand, all of Kohli, Raina and Dhoni are excellent finishers. Let the top 3 play their natural game, and nos. 4-6 finish with surgical precision.

Why do we have to glue Kohli at no. 3 with an adhesive? Haven't the best batsmen played at no. 4, ever?
Agree. Kohli coming in early when the opening bowlers are on top also usually doesn't end well. His main strength lies in taking the game away from the opposition during the middle overs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, Thursday was literally the perfect time for Kohli to come in 15 or so overs had past and India had a start. Was perfect for him to build his innings. He just ****ed up. It happens.

G.I.Joe

Jadeja's fine, he hasn't had much of a hit all tournament and can't be relied on consistently when chasing 150 off 80 or w/e it was when he came in. Ashwin is genuinely bad, or rather he simply doesn't have the shots to hit out.
Nah, Jadeja is crap. India are trying to fill the seventh batsman's spot with two quarter-batsmen at 7 and 8, which doesn't work. What makes it worse is that one's a hitter who can't hang around and the other's a hanger-arounder who can't hit out.

You know what's going to prevent us from getting rid of Jadeja? India play all but one Test series at home over the next two years. I swear he's going to do just enough with the bat to seem worthy of persisting with in the ODI lineup.

Contra

Nah, Jadeja is crap. India are trying to fill the seventh batsman's spot with two quarter-batsmen at 7 and 8, which doesn't work. What makes it worse is that one's a hitter who can't hang around and the other's a hanger-arounder who can't hit out.

You know what's going to prevent us from getting rid of Jadeja? India play all but one Test series at home over the next two years. I swear he's going to do just enough with the bat to seem worthy of persisting with in the ODI lineup.
No way dude, Jadeja's played plenty of good innings down the order. He had been injured all through this Aussie tour, barely got a hit in the ODI game batting wise. Jadeja can both hit and hang around. I can link you to scorecards where Jadeja's hung around and made solid contributions and to innings where he's finished off games. Since his comeback in 2011 in the England ODI series he's been excellent for India both with bat and ball.

He averages 33 @ 88 with the bat and averaging 31 with the ball with an economy rate of less than 5. This is not counting the number of run out's he's inflicted and runs he's saved.

Contra

How does Robin Utthapa go these days?
I've been a massive Utthapa fan for the longest time, trouble is he now opens in the IPL and we already have slots for openers, always felt that he could be the power hitter India need down the order.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No way dude, Jadeja's played plenty of good innings down the order. He had been injured all through this Aussie tour, barely got a hit in the ODI game batting wise. Jadeja can both hit and hang around. I can link you to scorecards where Jadeja's hung around and made solid contributions and to innings where he's finished off games. Since his comeback in 2011 in the England ODI series he's been excellent for India both with bat and ball.

He averages 33 @ 88 with the bat and averaging 31 with the ball with an economy rate of less than 5. This is not counting the number of run out's he's inflicted and runs he's saved.
Yeah Jadeja's ok for a number 7, you want someone who can score quicker than him ideally though.

Last edited: