• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket on YouTube

GoodAreasShane

Pretty sure Perth 1992 is the last home Test that Australia didn't have a spinner in the bowling attack.
Nah pretty sure Australia didn't play a spinner against India in Perth in either 2007-08 or 2011-12

In the latter of those tests India didn't field a spinner either dropped Ashwin for Vinay Kumar (!)

Yeah, safe to say that one didn't work out

Kirkut

I must admit though that the Perth pitch in 1992 was very bouncy, never saw that kind of bounce in Perth after that. The Perth pitch in 1997 when West Indies toured had plenty of cracks and variable bounce, but it invited criticism from Aussie commentators. I think there is a video where Ambrose got Blewett bowled with a very low keeping ball.

honestbharani

Nah pretty sure Australia didn't play a spinner against India in Perth in either 2007-08 or 2011-12

In the latter of those tests India didn't field a spinner either dropped Ashwin for Vinay Kumar (!)

Yeah, safe to say that one didn't work out

We didn't play a spinner in the 2018 test too and lost handsomely. Yet somehow we keep doing that.

quincywagstaff

Don't know if mentioned already but user 'Cricket Fever is posting great stuff at a rapid pace. Posted today extended highlights from the 86/87 Ashes which I haven't seen since watching them at the time.

Just on that series, Australia were lucky to get away with a draw in Perth. Only just avoided the follow-on with Bruce Reid at the crease and England went ridiculously defensive in setting their declaration.

Kirkut

'96 Cape Town in that partnership with Azhar was probably his best knock in terms of strokeplay vs. pace. Chennai '98 155* for spin.
That front door cover drive off Donald was arguably the shot of his career.

pardus

I must admit though that the Perth pitch in 1992 was very bouncy, never saw that kind of bounce in Perth after that. The Perth pitch in 1997 when West Indies toured had plenty of cracks and variable bounce, but it invited criticism from Aussie commentators. I think there is a video where Ambrose got Blewett bowled with a very low keeping ball.
Perth pitch was very bouncy in 2003 as well. India didn't play a Test match there on that tour. But they played couple of ODIs. One against Australia & one against Zimbabwe.
Against the Aussie pace attack, on that pitch, India was understandably blown away. But it was the Zimbabwe match which really rattled India, although they won it.

After the Zimbabwe ODI match, Rahul Dravid called it the bounciest pitch he played on (at that point in his career). Zimbabwe was bowled out for some 130+. A measly total,
but Zimbabwean fast bowlers gave Indian batsmen a solid working over. The bounce was just incredible. Almost every Indian batsman was struck, and just like Zimbabwean
batsmen, Indian batsmen looked distinctly uncomfortable.with the incredible bounce.
I recall images of Tendulkar & Dravid fending off deliveries from their throats, standing tall and riding out the bounce. In the end, India staggered to victory after losing 6 wickets.

Up until those ODI matches at Perth, India's batting innings totals in that ODI series were 270, 211/3 (chasing 208), 303, 255, 296, 280
In the 2 ODI matches at Perth, their totals were 203 all out (against Australia), and 136/6 against Zimbabwe

Those 2 ODI matches at Perth were the final league matches for India in the series, before the Finals.
Unfortunately their batting confidence was destroyed, and they lost the Finals rather easily.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23139523/india-stutter-victory

Last edited:

Kirkut

Wasn't that at Durban and then he got clean bowled next ball off a hooping inswinger?
That cover drive at Durban was a standard one, but the one he played off Donald to reach his 150 in Cape Town was out of this world, possibly his greatest shot ever in both tests and ODIs combined.

Kirkut

Perth pitch was very bouncy in 2003 as well. India didn't play a Test match there on that tour. But they played couple of ODIs. One against Australia & one against Zimbabwe.
Against the Aussie pace attack, on that pitch, India was understandably blown away. But it was the Zimbabwe match which really rattled India, although they won it.

After the Zimbabwe ODI match, Rahul Dravid called it the bounciest pitch he played on (at that point in his career). Zimbabwe was bowled out for some 130+. A measly total,
but Zimbabwean fast bowlers gave Indian batsmen a solid working over. The bounce was just incredible. Almost every Indian batsman was struck, and just like Zimbabwean
batsmen, Indian batsmen looked distinctly uncomfortable.with the incredible bounce.
I recall images of Tendulkar & Dravid fending off deliveries from their throats, standing tall and riding out the bounce. In the end, India staggered to victory after losing 6 wickets.

Up until those ODI matches at Perth, India's batting innings totals in that ODI series were 270, 211/3 (chasing 208), 303, 255, 296, 280
In the 2 ODI matches at Perth, their totals were 203 all out (against Australia), and 136/6 against Zimbabwe

Those 2 ODI matches at Perth were the final league matches for India in the series, before the Finals.
Unfortunately their batting confidence was destroyed, and they lost the Finals rather easily.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/23139523/india-stutter-victory
I think it's the same game where Irfan Pathan got a Zimbabwean opener injured with a bouncer. Yes that pitch was a fiery one that resembled 70's 80's Aussie pitches. Irfan bowled a bouncer in 130 k's but the pitch was so fast that the ball shot up like a rocket.

Kirkut

They used to have Ponting's ton against England in 2009 Champion's Trophy, but it's been taken down. Excellent offside shots in that innings.

Kirkut

Don't need to watch the whole video, but just watch 1:46 and that square cut at 2:48. This is the reason why I watch cricket.

Last edited:

Kirkut

Has anybody ever bowled a worse first over in their tests career than Owens at 40:47?

Looks like his debut game, very nervous that he's playing international cricket. There was first over bowled by R.P. Singh at The Oval test in 2011 after he was called from his vacation at Hawaii mid way to play a test in England. Maybe not as bad as bowled by Owens but it invited a lot of cringe reactions.

Imran Khan's Cornered Tigers - How Pakistan won the 1992 World Cup

thumbnail.png

Imran Khan's Cornered Tigers - How Pakistan won the 1992 World Cup

Pakistan upset the odds at the 1992 Cricket World Cup as they lifted the trophy with victory over England in the final at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

https://youtu.be/hlnu3iDtvoQ

theegyptian

Not really one for big celebrations but can't help but smile whenever I see this for the unashamed joy and satisfaction that Rob Jones shows on scoring his maiden first class hundred.

TT Boy

Been watching Lara highlights. P4P has the best batting highlight packages out there. Waqar or Shoaib P4P from a bowling perspective. Waqar’s dismissal of Lara can’t be beat.