• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Warner Fail thread

Dan

Global Moderator
Yeah look if there were viable alternatives I'd have no issue with him being dropped for The Oval, but fmd there's no way he's not on the team sheet for the first Test of the home summer.

If he averages 10 across a summer at home, then we'll talk about Warner being done.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't see what there is to be gained by dropping him now. Maybe if we hadn't won this game and thus the Ashes themselves were still live, but there just doesn't seem much point in this situation.

Flem274*

123/5
get him away from broad and he'll be fine. you'd be mad to drop him when you haven't replaced chris rogers yet.

quincywagstaff

He'll be 33 by the start of the next home Test summer. That's not that old for most batsmen but for aggressive openers it's a bit of a different story.

He's probably got value for a couple of years at home (never had a poor home Test season) but in Tests at least he's past his peak imo.

Probably the best example of an aggressive opener whose career lasted well into their 30s was Matt Hayden who lasted till he was 37 and even in the last 4 years of his career his performances declined, especially away from home.

Green

On one hand, I hate seeing him fail. On the other, I keep betting money that he will fall cheaply, keep it up Davey.

a massive zebra

I'm not convinced it was out because there appeared to be a gap between bat and ball when the spike appeared. But it was the type of tall thin spike that indicates bat on ball, and the ball was absolutely nowhere near anything but the bat. Most peculiar.

a massive zebra

I wonder if anyone with a 45+ Test average has ever had a worse Ashes series? 84 runs @ 9.33 with one innings to go.
Among batsmen who played a full Ashes series, the answer appears to be yes. The only top 6 batsman who played all five Tests with a worse average was Tommy Andrews who made 49 runs @ 8.16 in 1926, but his overall Test average was only 27. However, Keith Walters played 4 Tests of the 1972 Ashes and scored 54 runs @ 7.71, and Denis Compton played 4 Tests of the 1950/51 Ashes and scored 53 runs @8.83. Among batsmen with a 45+ Test average who played the whole series, the previous worst was pretty recent: Michael Clarke 132 runs @ 16.50 in the 2015 Ashes.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

Last edited:

halba

david warner is in 0/10 form at the moment.
this test will end several careers- warner and siddle for sure.

Arachnodouche

Cricket Australia owes him a longer rope after making him sit out for an year and destroying whatever momentum he had. In any case, one failed series is far too small a sample size to dump a player of his credentials. Give him the home summer and see if he regains some of that confidence.

Lillian Thomson

Among batsmen who played a full Ashes series, the answer appears to be yes. The only top 6 batsman who played all five Tests with a worse average was Tommy Andrews who made 49 runs @ 8.16 in 1926, but his overall Test average was only 27. However, Keith Walters played 4 Tests of the 1972 Ashes and scored 54 runs @ 7.71, and Denis Compton played 4 Tests of the 1950/51 Ashes and scored 53 runs @8.83. Among batsmen with a 45+ Test average who played the whole series, the previous worst was pretty recent: Michael Clarke 132 runs @ 16.50 in the 2015 Ashes.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com
Keith Walters? Doug to his friends.

SteveNZ

Cricket Australia owes him a longer rope after making him sit out for an year and destroying whatever momentum he had. In any case, one failed series is far too small a sample size to dump a player of his credentials. Give him the home summer and see if he regains some of that confidence.
Cricket Australia owes him for banning him for a year for cheating...OK. And he was in form at the World Cup so it doesn't really stand to reason.

zaremba

He's in wretched form and I'm slightly surprised he wasn't dropped for this Test, but there's no way they will or should drop him long-term. He's a proven Test player of serious quality in a position where Aus are seriously lacking. This is an issue of form, not ability. He's 32, and if he stays fit and behaves he could have another 5 years ahead of him.