• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Warner Fail thread

Tangles

No viable alternative is the issue really. He has always looked like his technique could go very wrong once his eye goes. This might be the start of it.

If he can go ok at home but stinks it up away then that’s a tough call. Especially if you don’t have the other opening spot settled.

TheJediBrah

He's in wretched form and I'm slightly surprised he wasn't dropped for this Test, but there's no way they will or should drop him long-term. He's a proven Test player of serious quality in a position where Aus are seriously lacking. This is an issue of form, not ability. He's 32, and if he stays fit and behaves he could have another 5 years ahead of him.
lol they're seriously lacking because of him being crap

TheJediBrah

If Renshaw isn't any good and there are no domestic openers knocking the door down I'd be happy to see Khawaja along with a middle-order player like Patterson or Pucovski opening. Bancroft and Harris have burnt their credit IMO.

TheJediBrah

Hussey went from opening to middle order. Surely the reverse is possible too.
The reverse has happened a lot. Australia's most successful recent opening pair in the late 00s, Watson and Katich, were both middle-order players randomly pushed up to play as openers.

Daemon

That’s crazy talk.

Cupboard is bare and he’s had one bad series.

Kohli would’ve been dropped after 2014 England with this sort of attitude.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Only just read this https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27591680/coming-right-arm-you

Warner has one of the biggest differentials between over the wicket and round the wicket average. Obviously a lot of that is Broad but it's also Archer and probably others in the past I can't think of. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he went back to Aus and piled on the runs, but teams will also be very alert to this as a tactic now. He'll have to do a lot of work on how he shapes up to that angle.

TheJediBrah

That’s crazy talk.

Cupboard is bare and he’s had one bad series.

Kohli would’ve been dropped after 2014 England with this sort of attitude.
If he can't score in the first 3 or so Shield rounds (potentially 6 innings) why would we pick him after this?

aussie tragic

If he can't score in the first 3 or so Shield rounds (potentially 6 innings) why would we pick him after this?
Warner only gets 2 shield rounds before he plays the T20's vs Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Can see him do stuff all in shield, score lots in T20's, gets rested for the 4th round shield game to be fresh for the first test...

...unfortunately

the big bambino

Haven't heard boo from Warner since the Ashes. Maybe he needs time away but would have been good taking the opportunity in the 50 over comp to score some runs. I don't even know if he's playing grade right now.

Burgey

He hasn't thus far. Not named this week for round two either.

Last edited: