• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Describe your feelings during the last 30 minutes of the 2019 WC Final

BSM

Whenever I see the replay of Archer's last ball I still get stressed.

Me and my brother had effectively resigned ourselves to the fact that we weren't going to win after Butler got out, runs required was getting too steep on a slowing pitch. Only really changed with the deflection off of Stokes' bat. Neesham's six was the first moment of heartache for me, considering it was the only real time when victory seemed to have been snatched away rather than having been a distant prospect. It was Braithewaite all over again.

Couldn't imagine the state I would have been in if NZ won off of that last ball. :laugh: Makes me admire the gracious reactions at the time even more, and especially Ian Smith's commentary

Shri

last 20 minutes:

stupidly spent money on a kayo sports subscripction

smoked a cig on the shitter while the super over was about to begin

got sad that i spent money to see eng win once it was over

The Hutt Rec

Although it's not judgable (is that a word) I wonder if New Zealand fans feel worse because of the feeling of being shafted. Had the overthrows not happened but Stokes just hit the winning or tieing (is that a word) runs off the final two balls it would still have been gutting (is that a word) but would it have felt better or worse?
That would have been a million miles better, for me at least. At least if we could say we actually lost ...

In the end I’d even have preferred to fizzle out in the super over ... whyyyy did Neesham have to think that six and give us all hope and another bunch of what-ifs with the rest of the over?!

Last edited:

zorax

likes this
This has been a good thread and I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all the responses in it so far

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
oops, one pregame observation i made is archer didn't know or just didn't sing the anthem

*leaves lit match*

he's going to absolutely cop it from the hamilton crowd if the sooking to england because west indies didn't pick him story gets around.
There’s always a couple of players not singing the anthem, same in footy where there’s very little debate to be had RE nationality.

Burgey

I don't want to derail the thread (for a change), but this idea you have to scream your lungs out to the national anthem is one of the world's more stupid notions. People over here are particularly big on it for some reason, and it makes **** all sense to me. I don't sing it if I'm in the crowd at a sporting event, even at the gold medal presentation at an Olympics. It's the musical equivalent of ****wits wearing flags as capes running around on Australia Day to people of non-Caucasian backgrounds telling them to kiss the flag to prove they "love Australia."

I just want to punch those morons in the throat. Same with these anthem Nazis tbh.

GoodAreasShane

Honestly I was swearing at my TV throughout the latter stages of the game, was both exciting and depressing.

I despise any English cricket team, but I have to say congratulations to them for their victory. Have to give credit where credit is due.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't want to derail the thread (for a change), but this idea you have to scream your lungs out to the national anthem is one of the world's more stupid notions. People over here are particularly big on it for some reason, and it makes **** all sense to me. I don't sing it if I'm in the crowd at a sporting event, even at the gold medal presentation at an Olympics. It's the musical equivalent of ****wits wearing flags as capes running around on Australia Day to people of non-Caucasian backgrounds telling them to kiss the flag to prove they "love Australia."

I just want to punch those morons in the throat. Same with these anthem Nazis tbh.
Heh, agree.

Went to England V Germany in the footy a couple of years back and the bloke in front of me belted out the anthem like his life depended on it. My brother turned to me and said, 'safe to say he voted for Brexit.'

And yes, yes, I also voted for Brexit. But it made me laugh.

Flem274*

123/5
i was just being a salty dick with that post tbh. i did note it at the time, and found it kind of funny he was the only guy not singing and thought it had potential to use as bait, but i used the bait poorly.

soz

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Heh, agree.

Went to England V Germany in the footy a couple of years back and the bloke in front of me belted out the anthem like his life depended on it. My brother turned to me and said, 'safe to say he voted for Brexit.'

And yes, yes, I also voted for Brexit. But it made me laugh.
Yeah, agree also.

I am very suspicious of national anthems and those who love singing them. One of those things that is clearly nationalist but dressed up under the veneer of patriotism imo.

Burgey

Yeah, agree also.

I am very suspicious of national anthems and those who love singing them. One of those things that is clearly nationalist but dressed up under the veneer of patriotism imo.
Always be wary of people who wrap themselves in a flag. They invariably use it to hide something

TheJediBrah

I don't want to derail the thread (for a change), but this idea you have to scream your lungs out to the national anthem is one of the world's more stupid notions.
Yeah I wonder what these people think of the kneeling saga in American sports. If not screaming the anthem is offensive I hope they haven't seen that.

Cruxdude

I was watching Wimbledon and checking the scores on the Eng NZ match somehow feeling assured that NZ will win. Started watching the cricket too when it was the last four overs. Both matches entered tie breaks at pretty much the same time and both left me heart broken. I haven't been able to go back and watch the highlights of the full match yet and still feel sad about the two missed match points by Federer. :(

TheBrand

I'm still not a fan of the NZ national anthem, but there was something vaguely patriotic about singing it overseas in the lion's den. But I'm definitely not one of those punishers who belts it out.

The Hutt Rec

I love our anthem, but I’d only ever mouth the words. Nobody needs to hear me singing it. Or singing anything, for that matter.

TheBrand

There was anthem, I can't remember which country, which was really nice snappy and short. I also liked Pakistan's one which had a nice minor key change in it.

We should have changed our anthem when we should have changed our flag.