• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did New Zealand Choke?

Hurricane

I think we would have dicked India in the final Hurricane. Only one attack in the world has been able to maintain the class and intensity required to bowl us out cheap, and even then it took world class bowling from three or four blokes including some inspired spells to do it.

But we weren't playing India because they, like us, fell short. It happens. New Zealand had it in them to play better last night but even the smallest mistake against that bowling spells doom. Australia were too good.
Yet Elliott and Taylor handled them fine. Why did so many other people get ducks. Kane's dismissal in particular completely baffles me.

Flem274*

123/5
the dismissal was sad but i thought guptill and kane batted beautiflly until they got out and without their resistance taylor and elliott are more vulnerable.

i said to dan on FB while watching that that was the most intense i've seen guppy and probably the best he'd played all tournament. everything was moving and he was doing everything he needed to do and looked very likely to fight through and go big. then maxwell...

Hurricane

the dismissal was sad but i thought guptill and kane batted beautiflly until they got out and without their resistance taylor and elliott are more vulnerable.

i said to dan on FB while watching that that was the most intense i've seen guppy and probably the best he'd played all tournament. everything was moving and he was doing everything he needed to do and looked very likely to fight through and go big. then maxwell...
nice post :)

I said it before and I'll say it again. Australia was disrupted by the washout and subsequent fortnight without cricket when they played New Zealand the first time. It was obvious from the manner of most of their dismissals. But New Zealand's struggle against the pace of Starc and Cummins was a pointer to what would ensue if they met again.

Hurricane

I said it before and I'll say it again. Australia was disrupted by the washout and subsequent fortnight without cricket when they played New Zealand the first time. It was obvious from the manner of most of their dismissals. But New Zealand's struggle against the pace of Starc and Cummins was a pointer to what would ensue if they met again.
I don't think it was pace because McCullum smashed Steyn.

It was the combination of pace and unerring accuracy that made us wilt. But yes our inability to chase 150 foreshadowed the final. Good point.

Australia have always had brilliant bowlers as long as I can remember - the only lightweight bowlers I remember were (and in one case is still playing):
Faulkner
Whitney
Hopes
Dan Christian
Carl Rackermann (spelling)
Some mongrel who I forget who played about two years ago in a test and bowled 120kms off a long run and thought he was fast
Sandhu (he would have been cannon fodder in the world cup)
Dodemaide

That's about all I can come up with amongst people who were in the team for bowling primarily. The rest have been guns.

CricAddict

It was the combination of pace and unerring accuracy that made us wilt. But yes our inability to chase 150 foreshadowed the final. Good point.

Australia have always had brilliant bowlers as long as I can remember - the only lightweight bowlers I remember were (and in one case is still playing):
Faulkner
Whitney
Hopes
Dan Christian
Carl Rackermann (spelling)
Some mongrel who I forget who played about two years ago in a test and bowled 120kms off a long run and thought he was fast
Sandhu (he would have been cannon fodder in the world cup)
Dodemaide

That's about all I can come up with amongst people who were in the team for bowling primarily. The rest have been guns.
Clint Mckay?

Hurricane

Clint Mckay?
No McKay was marginal.

Was there some other fellow with the last name Watson (not Shane).

I will check out cricinfo. The fellow was much maligned on CW and I think the Aussie CW posters were deeply embarrassed he was selected and felt shown up by having him represent their country.

Niall

Lots of people smashed Steyn this World Cup though. I dunno maybe someone should have told Mc Cullum its all well and good hammering a rapidly declining Steyn, but Starc the number one ODI bowler in the world is a different beast?

Although do think to much was made of his dismissal, it was the lower order collapse which killed NZ.

Last edited:

Antihippy

Faulkner ain't really a lightweight, though his bowling can go to pieces at times. Most of the time he's our clutch player though with bat and ball.