• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eminem Appreciation Thread

zorax

likes this
Discuss the greatest rapper of all time

He's got so many good songs, I'll start with one of his more personal pieces:

zorax

likes this
L&L, it's time to introduce you to the beauty of Rap

Granted I tend to be a fan of Eminem's more darker work, so maybe I'm not the right guy to teach you how to appreciate it

Daemon

Not a massive fan but I can appreciate his genius. Dude makes words rhyme that just aren't supposed to and fits rhymes within rhymes it's crazy.

Line and Length

I've heard that second track on a Dido album. What a contrast - the ethereal voice of Dido followed by some inane "poetry" that has little or nothing to do with music. I don't regard rap as music, it is more to do with a particular culture and even "culture" seems an inappropriate term to apply to something so mindlessly simplistic. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I know the kind of beauty that I appreciate.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I've heard that second track on a Dido album. What a contrast - the ethereal voice of Dido followed by some inane "poetry" that has little or nothing to do with music. I don't regard rap as music, it is more to do with a particular culture and even "culture" seems an inappropriate term to apply to something so mindlessly simplistic. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and I know the kind of beauty that I appreciate.
What does rap having more to do with a particular culture have any bearing on whether it’s music or not tho.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This is the most zorax thing ever. Here's three famous Eminem singles everybody!!

Line and Length

What does rap having more to do with a particular culture have any bearing on whether it’s music or not tho.
You fail to grasp the meaning of my post. When I wrote "it is more to do with a particular culture" I had prefaced that comment with "I don't regard rap as music". As such, this is my subjective opinion.

According to Wikipedia "The components of rap include "content" (what is being said), "flow" (rhythm, rhyme), and "delivery" (cadence, tone). Rap differs from spoken-word poetry in that it is usually performed in time to musical accompaniment." Thus the music aspect of rap is as an accompaniment.

A look at the history of rap confirms my belief that it is more based on a particular culture than on an actual musical discipline. "The earliest precursor to modern rap is the West African griot tradition, in which "oral historians", or "praise-singers", would disseminate oral traditions and genealogies, or use their rhetorical techniques for gossip or to "praise or critique individuals." Griot traditions connect to rap along a lineage of black verbal reverence"

I trust my reply and quotes answer your question.

zorax

likes this
Not a massive fan but I can appreciate his genius. Dude makes words rhyme that just aren't supposed to and fits rhymes within rhymes it's crazy.
Skill aside, what I really enjoyed about Em's work is his subject matter. In an era where Rap music mainly dealt with gang violence, oppression, ***, drugs and money, Eminem rapped about heartbreak, emotional instability, and his struggles with fame, parenthood, and a bad marriage. He also spoke a lot about his childhood growing up, and his absent father and abusive mother. It was almost uncharted territory at the time.

He was also constantly under attack - either for being white and not a 'real' rapper, or for the explicit nature of his lyrics, or for the violent imagery in his songs. Not to mention he got caught up in some of the feuds and rap wars at the time. Yet all that just seemed to make him better as an artist. His ability to talk so candidly about all these issues while still pushing the boundaries of rap is why he's so special to me. He rapped in a way no one else ever had, whilst talking about topics no one else ever did, and filled his songs with this kind of raw emotion that makes rap songs great.

duffer

Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP still stand the test of time. Incredible albums, both in my top 10. The guy has so much range it's incredible, he can do anything.

Line and Length

According to some (and I'll quote) "Eminem's global success and acclaimed works is widely recognized for breaking racial barriers for the acceptance of white rappers in popular music."

This may be only partly true. Blondie may well qualify as a "white rapper" on the strength of this track recorded in 1980 - when Eminem was only 8. The following year it became the first rap video played on MTV.

zorax

likes this
According to some (and I'll quote) "Eminem's global success and acclaimed works is widely recognized for breaking racial barriers for the acceptance of white rappers in popular music."

This may be only partly true. Blondie may well qualify as a "white rapper" on the strength of this track recorded in 1980 - when Eminem was only 8. The following year it became the first rap video played on MTV.

please keep this trash out of the Eminem Appreciation Thread thanks.