• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Fans - how is this series shaping up compared to 06/07 and 13/14?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Australia have the basis of a very good test side if they can keep their bowlers fit, England on the other hand have a number of holes in the lineup that we don't look close to filling.

I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that we'll get the urn back in 2019 at all.
Of course it is. People will be legally allowed to drive this year who weren’t born the last time Australia won here. It just doesn’t happen.

vogue

Of course it is. People will be legally allowed to drive this year who weren’t born the last time Australia won here. It just doesn’t happen.
Would love to think we will get the urn back , optimistic sort myself but it doesn’t look as likely this time. Still, plenty of time for me to eat my words... :D

GuyFromLancs

Interesting historical perspective that. It’s amazing how times change. The historical assumption that Australia just don’t win in England based on what you said DOES hold water, yet I can remember 93, 97 and 01 like they were last month. And the historical perspective then (certainly by early 2005) was we just don’t beat Australia at all. That there was people alive then who could drive who weren’t born the last time England won any Ashes series.

Amazing how the tectonic plates shift. I was a teenager when they last won here and I’m 36 now.

Ultimately, home advantage in test cricket has become a bit of a joke. Akin in football terms to having 3 extra players and fielding a somewhat-tough-to-break-down 5-5-3 formation.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Still big question marks over numbers one, three and six in Australia's batting line up. Number five too, if you factor in Darsh will be about 36 come 2019.
So basically the entire lineup short of Smith and Warner, as usual

TheJediBrah

Coincidence. How many of those were close series.

2005 was as close as they come.
2009 Australia were actually the better team, England happened to get the better of what turned out to be decisive moments.
2013 England clearly better, but Aus could have easily taken a couple games of them. Both draws were when Aus were winning.
2015 England won 3-2.

Aus could have easily won 2 or 3 of those series with some different luck

S.Kennedy

Coincidence. How many of those were close series.

2005 was as close as they come.
2009 Australia were actually the better team, England happened to get the better of what turned out to be decisive moments.
2013 England clearly better, but Aus could have easily taken a couple games of them. Both draws were when Aus were winning.
2015 England won 3-2.

Aus could have easily won 2 or 3 of those series with some different luck
Only '05 and '09 were close series.

vcs

yeah, though 2015 could also have gone either way if a few moments went differently
Not really, unless you're counting the toss as a huge factor in the 60/120 a.o. matches, which would be unfair IMO. Both teams' wins in that series were very comprehensive.

vcs

2013 was definitely closer than the 3-0 scoreline indicated, England won the first Test by 13 runs or something (Broad refusing to walk was basically the difference), Australia were in a winning position in the 3rd Test before rain came and they put up a good fight in the 4th Test also.

S.Kennedy

Trent Bridge '13 was one of the only generally great Ashes tests since the embarrassment of riches that was 2005.

TheJediBrah

Not really, unless you're counting the toss as a huge factor in the 60/120 a.o. matches, which would be unfair IMO. Both teams' wins in that series were very comprehensive.
I was thinking more about moments that Australia ****ed up than "luck" per se. Like the 1st Test, Haddin (shouldn't have been in the team and everyone knew it) dropped Root early who went on to make 140, England would have been 4 for nothing and Aus probably would have won that match, could have been 2-0 up after 2 games. They were incredibly unlucky in the 60 all out too though, there wasn't a single play and miss in that innings until Aus were 7 or 8 down, literally every time the batsmen made an error it resulted in an edge straight to a slipper. But they probably would have lost that game anyway so not really relevant.

I wasn't really talking about 2015 anyway, more so 2005 & 2009 where Aus were, at worst very competitive, and at best actually the better side. And then even 2013 and 2015 Aus were a lot more competitive then England have been in Australia in the last 30 years barring the 1 series in 2010-11.

Hence why I don't think looking at recent Ashes results in England alone should lead to England supporters feeling overly secure about the results of the 2019 series. Which was the point I was trying to make.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
2013 was definitely closer than the 3-0 scoreline indicated, England won the first Test by 13 runs or something (Broad refusing to walk was basically the difference), Australia were in a winning position in the 3rd Test before rain came and they put up a good fight in the 4th Test also.
Reads like he did a WG Grace. Umpire's fault, not Broad's

TheJediBrah

There was some shocking umpiring in general during that 2013 series. The one that really sticks with me was the Khawaja caught behind off Swann that went to DRS, yet somehow still remained out despite the replay showing he clearly missed it by the length of my dick (a couple of inches)

S.Kennedy

There was. I distinctly remember the whole DRS thing being brought into disrepute during that Ashes and the Indians feeling vindicated.

oblongballs

In 07, England were completely outclassed and then in 13/14 they were hammered, physically bullied and then chickened out.

this series was not as bad as either and again, I know this is getting repetitive, but England did ok in spots and even had the upper hand at times. Thing is, Australia look to be heading towards creating a side that could win in England in 18 months time...England look far from creating a side that can win the year after that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I was thinking more about moments that Australia ****ed up than "luck" per se. Like the 1st Test, Haddin (shouldn't have been in the team and everyone knew it) dropped Root early who went on to make 140, England would have been 4 for nothing and Aus probably would have won that match, could have been 2-0 up after 2 games. They were incredibly unlucky in the 60 all out too though, there wasn't a single play and miss in that innings until Aus were 7 or 8 down, literally every time the batsmen made an error it resulted in an edge straight to a slipper. But they probably would have lost that game anyway so not really relevant.

I wasn't really talking about 2015 anyway, more so 2005 & 2009 where Aus were, at worst very competitive, and at best actually the better side. And then even 2013 and 2015 Aus were a lot more competitive then England have been in Australia in the last 30 years barring the 1 series in 2010-11.

Hence why I don't think looking at recent Ashes results in England alone should lead to England supporters feeling overly secure about the results of the 2019 series. Which was the point I was trying to make.
Warne and McGrath aside, Australia played a lot of poor cricket and were outclassed for 3 Tests in a row.

GotSpin

There was some shocking umpiring in general during that 2013 series. The one that really sticks with me was the Khawaja caught behind off Swann that went to DRS, yet somehow still remained out despite the replay showing he clearly missed it by the length of my dick (a couple of inches)
I remember being like yep, Khawaja will be called back here. How could they still have given it?