• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Extreme deification of the armed forces..

harsh.ag

Because strong myths are required in order for people to voluntarily risk their lives for the sake of others.

A large part of the myth is sustained by intra-army brotherhood. A soldier would loathe to refuse to fight just for the sake of his fellow brothers.

But a part of it is always going to be about the country, which is in itself a myth, of course, and its people. Deification helps because it's a source of validation and motivation.

Extreme deification doesn't help, except maybe during war time. And it's always important to keep the armed forces away from political power.

Last edited:

trundler

Humans glorify war to such an extent and have done so throughout history that I believe it comes naturally to us. By extension that includes soldiers and the armed forces. Plus the armed forces are central to why country's nationalist myth.

weldone

Agree with harsh. I don't think army can continue to exist as a disciplined force without very high amount of respect from fellow countrymen. Their pay is miniscule for the risk; respect is their currency.

andmark

It's an issue which almost certainly has contextual factors. Like, in communist literature I've read, the army is almost always depicted as the revolutionaries who overthrew/are overthrowing the bourgeoisie (I'll never be able to spell that). This is obviously lacking in countries which were never communist, and so nationalism instead becomes a major force for the deification of the armed forces. A problem with the communist example though is that it's debatable to what extent that narrative is/was accepted in the individual countries, although presumably some actually did accept it. How would religion fit into this? Like Iran takes pride in being a Shia Muslim majority-country- does that work its way into the perception of their armed forces?

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

It's an issue which almost certainly has contextual factors. Like, in communist literature I've read, the army is almost always depicted as the revolutionaries who overthrew/are overthrowing the bourgeoisie (I'll never be able to spell that).
Bujh-wah

Anil

genuine respect would mean that you take care of the soldiers in the field and once they come back home and the thing is this deification is often just lip-service used for political ends...

Flem274*

123/5
The hunger to dominate exists in all men to some extent. Sometimes we use it for something positive (winning cricket games) others we use it for less good or crap things

weldone

Yesterday an important point was raised in a tv debate. This kind of deification has led to the situation in Pakistan where Army has more powers than the government itself. Most other democracies have at least avoided that situation.

vcs

Yeah, I saw a quote today from Modi also along the lines of "Question me, don't question the armed forces".

8-)