• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

fastest bowlers in new Zealand right now?

thundaboult

Hey guys, first post here. A little about me in brief....I am a born and raised Indian who has always been a diehard blackcaps fan. More so, they are my favorite team. (Yes, even more than india).

My question is simply out of curiosity....who are the fastest bowlers in new Zealand ATM other than obviously Milne and boult? (was pleasantly surprised with his pace this WC) it would simply be so encouraging to know if there are a few genuine quicks lying around in nzl's domestic scene :)

Hurricane

Henry got through in the 140s.
Wagner can get to low 140s if he steams in
Gillespie low 140s
Hamish Bennett low 140s
I didn't see too much hrv cup this year so can't comment further on the domestic peeps

Flem274*

123/5
Pace wise Milne > Fergusson > Bennett = Boult imo. Bevan Small has wheels (Bennett and Boult category) but with all his injury issues I'm not sure how quick he is these days. After that there are a fair few in the Matt Henry/Tim Southee 135 to low 140s range.

Bahnz

Welcome to the forum, it's always great to meet a fellow fan.

After Milne and Boult the next quickest is probably Matt Henry who came in for Milne in the semi's and final (like Boult he's generally in the 138-146 range). Then there are guys like Doug Bracewell who can be in the low 140's when they're in a good rhythm. There are a few promising young medium fast bowlers like Jacob Duffy and Ben Wheeler who are probably in this speed range. But in terms of raw pace, nobody on the domestic circuit comes close to Milne, he's one of a kind at the moment in NZ.

Bahnz

Pace wise Milne > Fergusson > Bennett = Boult imo. Bevan Small has wheels (Bennett and Boult category) but with all his injury issues I'm not sure how quick he is these days. After that there are a fair few in the Matt Henry/Tim Southee 135 to low 140s range.
Didn't realise Fergusson was meant to be quick. Dean Bartlett is meant to be pretty spritely too, though he's never in an HRV cup game so it's tough to know how quick he really is.

Cric123

How can Aussies and South Africans produce bowlers in the mid 140s to low 150s (a few even reach mid 150s quite regularly) on such a regular basis while others can't? Better coaching technique?

Kippax

Ferguson's speeds disappointed slightly when he got on the TV, with a highest of 141 I think. Sky's domestic gun seemed to be cheap and nasty to everyone though.

Bahnz

Ferguson's speeds disappointed slightly when he got on the TV, with a highest of 141 I think. Sky's domestic gun seemed to be cheap and nasty to everyone though.
Yeah, Boult topped out at about 140 in the dom T20's, and Southee struggled to hit 130 consistently.

Hurricane

Yeah, Boult topped out at about 140 in the dom T20's, and Southee struggled to hit 130 consistently.
If that gun is faulty then I am going to blame the gun then outside westpac stadium for clocking our team's opening bowler at 113kms - when I always figured he would be 115-120 range.
The fastest bowler out of 1000 who tried all day was 115
Most people were less than 100.

hendrix

Bennett is the next fastest after Milne, although he's very inconsistent with his pace and is plagued by injuries. He's unlikely to play for NZ again. Gillespie is the same. Boult is quick by default due to his superb rhythm and fitness. Southee can actually crank it up sometimes - particularly when he's looking for reverse, but is generally a yard slower than Boult. Henry is in the Boult category but doesn't yet have that level of fitness and rhythm.

A bowler to look out for in the next couple of seasons is Jacob Duffy. He's not particularly quick (at the moment), but is tall and at his best is similar in style to Ambrose.

Kippax

I presume that one was in fact 141 and not any quicker.

"Nah, that was just Pollard using his high backlift.... three years from now he's in the Black Caps, booming it!" - Siddons

Flem274*

123/5
yeah even with the "sky guns take off 4-5 clicks" meme that's disappointing. looks terrifying on his good days.

Bahnz

Bennett is the next fastest after Milne, although he's very inconsistent with his pace and is plagued by injuries. He's unlikely to play for NZ again. Gillespie is the same. Boult is quick by default due to his superb rhythm and fitness. Southee can actually crank it up sometimes - particularly when he's looking for reverse, but is generally a yard slower than Boult. Henry is in the Boult category but doesn't yet have that level of fitness and rhythm.

A bowler to look out for in the next couple of seasons is Jacob Duffy. He's not particularly quick (at the moment), but is tall and at his best is similar in style to Ambrose.
I wouldn't say that Bennett is inconsistent with his pace. In that ODI at Eden Park v India last year he was clocking mid-140's almost every ball during his first spell. It's just that his action is so energy intensive that he can usually only keep it up for 4 or 5 overs before he becomes a fountain of perspiration and his pace drops off dramatically.

Kippax

Yeah Howsie (and therefore agribusiness) doesn't really rate Duffy or see your hints of Ambrose in him, but he does rate this big six-tenner Kyle Jamieson, which is interesting.

Canterbury's so flush with young bowlers atm. Lock them in for another good season next year, seeing you can get any dirty old Ellis or Hira to put your runs on the board in the Plunket Shield these days.

Last edited: