• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v West Indies (3rd April)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

G.I.Joe

It's not the World Cup. But it's definitely a World Cup. It is possible to hold the opinion that this is an inferior tournament without entirely devaluing it like I think TNT is doing. There's no disputing that the WI are the current T20 world champions.

TNT

Banned
It's not the World Cup. But it's definitely a World Cup. It is possible to hold the opinion that this is an inferior tournament without entirely devaluing it like I think TNT is doing. There's no disputing that the WI are the current T20 world champions.
No its not a world cup.

At no time do the ICC or the media refer to it as a world cup. At no time have I commented on the quality of the World Twenty20, at no time have I suggested that the WI are not the current T20 world champions.

Its just not a world cup and that is all I have mentioned, I don't know why people get so bent out of shape over it, I did not make the decision to make it the World Twenty20 instead of the T20 world cup.

Adders

Agree with this.

Look I don't place anywhere near the value on the T20 WC as I do the ODI one. In fact when England won it in 2010 I'm on record as saying I'd trade that to win the toss in the first Ashes test!!

I've since since softened my view to T20 and do place more value on it now, but whatever your opinion of the format to say it's not a world cup is just nonsense IMO.

TNT

Banned
Agree with this.

Look I don't place anywhere near the value on the T20 WC as I do the ODI one. In fact when England won it in 2010 I'm on record as saying I'd trade that to win the toss in the first Ashes test!!

I've since since softened my view to T20 and do place more value on it now, but whatever your opinion of the format to say it's not a world cup is just nonsense IMO.
Can you post a link or a quote from the ICC or even cricinfo that refer to this being a world cup, I'm just amazed that at no time has there been any official reference to it being a world cup. Can you think of any reason why the ICC and broadcasters have all failed to even mention it is a world cup?.

G.I.Joe

Can you post a link or a quote from the ICC or even cricinfo that refer to this being a world cup, I'm just amazed that at no time has there been any official reference to it being a world cup. Can you think of any reason why the ICC and broadcasters have all failed to even mention it is a world cup?.
I've always thought it was to avoid devaluing the ODI World Cup and to maintain it's primacy. It's a branding exercise.

TNT

Banned
I've always thought it was to avoid devaluing the ODI World Cup and to maintain it's primacy. It's a branding exercise.
I fail to see how the ICC failed to promote the T20 world cup as a world cup as a branding exercise. Maybe they are having a test world cup and we don't even know it. :)

G.I.Joe

I fail to see how the ICC failed to promote the T20 world cup as a world cup as a branding exercise. Maybe they are having a test world cup and we don't even know it. :)
What's the expressed schedule and who made the knockouts?

TNT

Banned
Thats just because you're not very bright tbh
Look I understand you are allowed to direct personal abuse at posters and the moderators will turn a blind eye that's all fine but regardless of my brightness its still not a world cup. You have nothing to offer except attacking me which sort of makes you look a bit sad.

Howe_zat

TNT, having a problem with people using 'a world cup' as shorthand for 'a world tournament' is a pointless, absurd position that no one would actually take. It's pretty transparent that your actual position is 'STRAYA STRAYA STRA the REAL world champions' because there's no reason you'd be having a semantic argument this painful otherwise.