• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Format

Lillian Thomson

The crap games yesterday weren't a format problem. It's down to the attitude of the coaches. I don't think there's really any alternative to the knock-out format.

Uppercut

Agree. How do you fix it though?
Maybe get rid of penalties and turn extra time into an indefinite game of golden goal. That way defensive football is in nobody's interest, because whoever eventually gets through will be exhausted after playing for three hours. I haven't really thought that through though, so I'm not sure.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The whole point of playing defensive football isn't to get to penalties, it's about using your resources effectively. Regardless of how big the gulf is between teams it would be unusual for an inferior team to not have at least 1 or 2 shots on goal - sometimes that's all you need to win a game.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Maybe get rid of penalties and turn extra time into an indefinite game of golden goal. That way defensive football is in nobody's interest, because whoever eventually gets through will be exhausted after playing for three hours. I haven't really thought that through though, so I'm not sure.
I liked the idea of progressively removing players.

It's not football, but it's more recognizably football than penalty shoot-outs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I once saw a suggestion for penalties to be taken before the game. Would only result in the winning side setting up camp though

cpr

How about replays? Absolutely no side will want to play for a replay in such a short competition span, it will kill a team, so teams will have to get more attacking as the game goes on otherwise they are in effect eliminated anyway due to the fatigue of the extra game.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, WWE trialed this kind of kick off in the short-lived XFL. Was abandoned very quickly after loads of players got injured iirc..