• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

George Bailey

Spikey

The simple answer is that Bailey was picked because the selectors lacked the courage to over-look his outstanding ODI form - which they had done for the previous year - and pick someone from the shield who yes wasn't putting up Stuart Law/Darren Lehmann/Michael Bevan-esque numbers but who they think might have what it takes to adapt to test cricket (like say Steve Smith being picked for the Indian tour).

Of course I haven't actually named someone like that, but I'm not getting paid for this.

andyc

I really wanted Bailey to do well because he just seems a great fella, but he's had five games on the bounce and doesn't look up to it at all tbh. Some may say it's too small a sample size to judge someone, but it's not that he's failing and getting out in different ways, he has a known technical flaw and it's been his downfall most every time.
I think 5 Tests (in a winning side) and 100+ FC games are more than big enough a sample size to judge someone tbh. As I've said, I've not got a huge issue with them sticking with him this long, just as long as they don't take him to SA in the Test squad.

Debris

North is 34 so yes only a stop gap. He started the Shield like Bradman though and has a better fc record than pretty much any other candidate not named Phil Hughes to go with his rocks and diamonds test career.

The issue for us is I think we have some real quality potentially coming through, but it's not ready yet. Bowlers like Pattinson, Cumins, Starc, Hazlewood etc and batsmen like Silk, Lynn, Maddinson, Head and maybe Burns are all tasty prospects, but need a few more years. The generation between (the 26-32 year olds atm) are basically a bust. Just a bunch of 30 averages. If some old heads can fill a gap until the young ones are ready that will only be to the good. Doolan might be ok (he does look the goods when he gets going), but his record is almost identical to Bailey's so it would surprise me if he does much better especially against the likes of Steyn and Philander. Khawaja seems to have lost his mojo (or has just been worked out), and Smarsh and Ferguson are frauds. Nothing to get excited about in that lot. The future is Hughes and younger.
I think you can leave Hughes out of that list for a year or two as well. He really needs to make runs consistently at shield level for a couple or years before you reconsider him after his constant failures. They really need to do some talent identification and pick a player on potential because no-one is really forcing there way in through weight of runs. Lynn and Maddinson are probably most likely to succeed out of the young batsmen at this stage so maybe one of them.

Ausage

Hughes would be the only one I think you could legitimately bring in at 3. Any debutante like Doolan deserves the chance to bat with a bit less pressure on at 6.
The way our top order is going there's usually more pressure on 6 than 3.

Tangles

The top 3 SS scorers are North, White and Hughes. I can understand thinking that North and White are not worth going back to. If you take the same stance with Hughes you complicate matters. Despite having a decent looking technique Doolan hasn't put up the runs. I like Maddinson and Lynn but Maddo loves a brain explosion when set and Lynn is only just back from injury. If we want to go with a younger guy with a pick and stick policy Hughes must be it. Give him 5 matches at 6 like George had.

I like what I've seen of Lynn and would pick him over Maddo and Dools. Forkers may offer the same that George does with bowling which isn't enough with Watson around but I have a sneaky suspicion the selectors will try that first. Rads form will be a very convenient excuse. I would bet the only reason it didn't happen in Sydney was Clarke/Boof wanting the unchanged record.

Last edited:

Mark68

I think you blokes should keep faith with George Bailey. It would be nice to see him play and miss his way through the next Ashes series over here.

91Jmay

Yeah, suppose when you compare there form when Hughes has been dropped compared to how Bailey has played and is still in, Hughes must feel seriously unlucky.

Red Hill

The artist formerly known as Monk
I reckon Maddinson and Doolan are the two guys who need to be given chances next. Now is exactly the right time to play them at #6 in the test side.

Burgey

Ponting was saying the other night that Lynn is a good player but the perception is he nicks off too much, and he needs to work on that if he's going to be a test player.

benchmark00

He's nowhere near as flawed as Bailey in that regard to be fair.

He'll turn out to be a decent enough cricketer before retiring to stud.

Last edited:

Tangles

Interesting. He looks like he could do a much better job than Bailey at 6 even now. George and Hughes both nick off also. I'm less familiar with Doolan but his record indicates some sort of issue. I'd be happy enough with Hughes getting a shot at SA.

Burgey

I suppose the other issue with Lynn is he has to miss Spring and Autumn tours because of the big Group One Carnivals. You'd hope he would be back from SA in time to run in the Doncaster

the big bambino

We want to replace Bailey which will be hard enough without playing musical chairs with Watson's position. Imo we are stuck with Watson at 3 for a while yet. Lets fix it one position at a time. I'd like the young players (Maddinson, Lynn, Burns, Silk, Head, Patterson) to prove it in the SS. For a straight swap at 6 then Wade, Doolan or Voges are candidates. Or you could move the new boy to 4. That would be less disruptive than moving Watson as you could comfortably move Clarke and Smith down one to accommodate. If 4 was the new spot then Hughes, Doolan or White come in.

Last edited:

Spikey

He's nowhere near as flawed as Bailey in that regard to be fair.

He'll turn out to be a decent enough cricketer before retiring to stud.
I suppose the other issue with Lynn is he has to miss Spring and Autumn tours because of the big Group One Carnivals. You'd hope he would be back from SA in time to run in the Doncaster
stop horsing around, guys

Tangles

**** Wade. Let him get picked on his batting return not on what he did when picked at 7 as a non catching keeper. Why Voges but not North? Both older than we really want. Dools or Hughes at 6 and leave the top 5 alone.

Any more votes for Lynn if he is miked and his gf is there? #comedygold

the big bambino

Fair call on North re Voges. Just think North misses too much to justify the hits. I'm a fan of Voges stroke play and think he could take a game away from tired bowling at 6.

Burgey

With all due respect to Marcus North, the selectors would be foolish not to have a very long look at how he seems mentally since the tragic death of his brother. It's awful to talk about it, but he had scored most if not all of his runs before that terrible accident. I hope he's ok, but if I was picking a side I would want to know he's ok before lobbing him back into the test side in SA.