• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist: Why I walked

Eclipse

To those who got the wrong impresion about wether he actualy walked and also some interesting stuff about his views on Hussain and Vaughan.

Gilchrist: Why I walked
March 19, 2003

ENGLAND batsmen Nasser Hussein and Michael Vaughan can take some credit for Adam Gilchrist's decision to "walk" in the World Cup semi-final.

The Australian vice-captain says it was frustration at watching the Englishmen stand their ground during the recent Ashes series that got him thinking about walking.

Gilchrist had the cricket world rubbing its eyes in amazement when he decided to head for the pavilion even though the umpire gave him not out to a catch behind against Sri Lanka in the Cup semi-final.

It defied all recent convention but Gilchrist said later he wasn't on a mission to have batsmen start walking whenever they knew they were out.

He said his conscience had been stirred by Hussain's refusal to accept a catch by Jason Gillespie in the Boxing Day Test that "stood out like dog's balls," as the Australian fast bowler described it at the time.

He also recalled another no-walk incident in the Adelaide Test involving Vaughan.

"I've smashed it and I thought 'I should walk off'," Gilchrist explained.

"Hussain and Vaughan had me thinking a lot about walking or times when players have blatantly nicked the ball, know they have and whether they should walk.

"I'm not on a crusade to try and get it back to the old days of gentlemen's behaviour but a lot of the time I was thinking, `I wonder if I'll ever be in a scenario where I'm the batsman and I have to make that decision?'

"Today that situation came up and something inside me said 'walk' so I went.

"I saw (umpire) Rudi (Koertzen) give me not out and shake his head, so I just went."

The Australians were livid when Hussain didn't accept Gillespie's claim to a fair catch in the Boxing Day Test despite the fact they rarely, if ever, give themselves up unless a dismissal is blatantly obvious.

But now Gilchrist has joined West Indian Brian Lara as batsmen who go without waiting for the verdict.

"I remember vividly the Boxing Day Test when Nasser Hussain didn't go when Dizzy (Gillespie) claimed to have caught him," said Gilchrist.

"I remember thinking and saying to a few people that there was the perfect opportunity for a player to make a statement.

"Maybe because it's been in my mind I reacted that way. I don't want to have headlines around the world saying I'm making a stand that players should walk but that's my feelings on the scenario and how I can play the game, hopefully."

Video replays are used nowadays to clarify catches but camera angles often give an inaccurate or misleading representation.

Hussain was allowed to keep batting in Melbourne because inconclusive replays suggested the ball might have shaved the grass as Gillespie caught it.

"The feeling about the third umpire and the catches carrying, a lot of players around the world think it would be nice ... to go back to the players, but again, for that to happen, we've got to take responsibility," Gilchrist said.

"There have been times before in my career where I've hit the ball and known it, been given not out and not walked.

"I'm not totally sure why today, in a World Cup semifinal, I've decided to do otherwise but it sits comfortably with me.

"Hopefully we can move on in a positive fashion."

age_master

i walk if i know i am out - unfortunatley i also get alot of decisions where i am not out and am given out

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Whatever the reasons, good for you, Churchy.

Even if it did mean you got a free dig at the poms

Simon

WCC Staff
i dont like the idea of walking, i was very disapointed that gilly did that. in such a big game at that time i dont think it was the best thing to do. In that level the umpires should be good enough to give players out when they are, but if the umpire gets it wrong so be it and get on with the game.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
walking is what i do...

i didn't walk the at all last season, because all the ify ones were iffy and i wasn't sure. I know i am out, i walk.

Although it is a big set between saying it, and doing.

Simon

WCC Staff
Paid The Umpire said:
walking is what i do...

i didn't walk the at all last season, because all the ify ones were iffy and i wasn't sure. I know i am out, i walk.

Although it is a big set between saying it, and doing.
the day i walk is the day pigs fly

Rik

I wonder if his new found "saintly" image also applies for keeping, so when he knows a ball has come off the pad he won't appeal or something...or is that just wishful thinking? ;)

Rik

broncoman said:
i am still not going to walk ;)
The only people who don't walk are ones who are afraid they will never get the chance to make a good score again ;)

hourn

I admire Gilchrists decision to work, but a few commeents i ahve to make:

1 - excuse the spelling - a few drinkls tonight.

2 - i dont get why it has caused such a stir? i mean, its not the momentous an ocasion is it?

3 - i dont walk for a couple of reasons:

a. i'm a crap batsmen - no. 11 most of the time, so if the bowler doesn't get me out soon after its a miracle. and:

b. even if i could bat i wouldn't walk, because in the end it evens itself out. Wereas if you walk, its going to end up not in your favour.

Anil

Gilchrist has admitted that he hasn't walked on previous occasions when he knew he was out. He also knows that very few if any, of his teammates do it. So, what was all the moral outrage regarding Hussain's and Vaughan's conduct about? And the explanation that it was the inspiration for him walking against SL sounds like pure bull s*** to me and just another excuse for pom-bashing. If he continues to do this in this new-found sportsman spirit of his, then it is admirable, but as to that, let's wait and see.

Last edited:

Gotchya

Well, if he keeps to his word (keeps walking when he's out) but now he cannot stand up anymore, if he does, then he's no better then the poms....:duh:

Just keep rubbing it into english faces !

Langeveldt

Soutie
Im pretty annoyed that he had the guts to mention the fact that Hussain and Vaughan walked, but didnt mention the fact that the Aussies are kings at the whole gamesmanship thing..

I dont agree with walking, but congrats on him for doing it though

Anil

Gotchya said:
Well, if he keeps to his word (keeps walking when he's out) but now he cannot stand up anymore, if he does, then he's no better then the poms....:duh:

Just keep rubbing it into english faces !
That's the favourite Aussie sport, I guess.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rik

Well surely there's a lesson there...Vaughan didn't walk and he ended up getting 170...I know which I'd prefer...