• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GOOD / **** teams of the tournament

Howe_zat

Couple I've found floating around Twitter

GOOD

Neuer, Lahm, Gonzalez, Hummels, Blind, Robben, Kroos, Maschereno, Rodriguez, Messi, Muller

Casilas, Ramos, David Luiz, Pepe, Baines, Hazard, Gerrard, Song, Cavani, Fred, Diego Costa

Uppercut

Teja and OS are idiots. Kuyt played about five different positions, none of which are his, and always did exactly the job that was expected of him in a very effective system. Closer to the good team than to the ****.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I've seen a few all-star teams without Messi, which is just reactionary bollocks. (So is most of that **** XI, it'd qualify for the second round in most groups even playing as they did in this tournament.)

I'd rather have Schweinsteiger in the good XI than Daley Blind, but not sure how to achieve that without messing up the balance. Three centre backs with Mascherano?

King Pietersen

Good:

---------------------------Neuer--------------------------
--Lahm-------Hummels----Vlaar-----Blind------
------------------------------Mascherano---------------
----------Schweinsteiger------------------------------
-Shaqiri-------------Rodriguez----------Muller------
--------------------------Messi--------------------------

****:

------------------------Casillas------------------------------
--Alves------Luiz-----------Pepe---------Marcelo------
---------Gerrard-----Song-----Paulinho-------------------
----------Fred--------Cavani------Balotelli------------------

Uppercut

Xabi Alonso a glaring omission from the dud-teams so far.

David Luiz is a funny one. His showing against Germany was as bad a defensive performance as I've ever seen, but there's a good chance they wouldn't have been there without his free kick against Colombia. Would probably give the CB spot to Ramos, whose performances had no redeeming features at all.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nah Luiz has to be in there. Not only was his defending terrible, mentally he completely lost the plot. Rampaging forward at 5-0 and having a wild swipe at Müller where he should have been sent off.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also during the final I was trying to come up with the tournament's best number 9 and landed on Benzema.

Tom Halsey

Nah Luiz has to be in there. Not only was his defending terrible, mentally he completely lost the plot. Rampaging forward at 5-0 and having a wild swipe at Müller where he should have been sent off.
Not sure how he is being penalised for not giving a **** and rampaging forward at 5-0 down when they were out anyway. Agree with Uppercut, they arguably wouldn't have been there if not for him.

Agree with Vimes re: **** team being reactionary. I'm no fan of many of those players but no way most of those are the worst for their positions in this WC.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Agree with Vimes re: **** team being reactionary. I'm no fan of many of those players but no way most of those are the worst for their positions in this WC.
In terms of their ability level and general expectations, or rather, how much of a disappointment they were, plenty of the names being mentioned probably are deserving of their place imo.

I mean, quite clearly, Cavani was not one of the worst forwards in the tournament. He'd walk into a side like Korea or Honduras, whose forwards were obviously of far lesser ability. But nobody expected the forwards of Korea or Honduras to do anything.

Last edited:

King Pietersen

Yeah, more under-performing team of the tournament as opposed to worst, and with that being the case, Luiz should definitely be in the side.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yeah but then it shouldn't be as stated in the OP, as a direct contract to the good team. It's like picking a Michael Clarke who scored no fifties for a **** cricket world cup XI over a Bangladeshi middle order player who averaged two.

Sledger even grasped this when mentioning Cameroon ffs.

Uppercut

Also during the final I was trying to come up with the tournament's best number 9 and landed on Benzema.
Benzema's host of missed chances against Germany might have cost France the tournament. I'd say the best number 9 was easily Muller even though he didn't play there in every match.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Benzema's host of missed chances against Germany might have cost France the tournament. I'd say the best number 9 was easily Muller even though he didn't play there in every match.
Müller was pish in that role, his best work was done from wide right.