• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great Moments in World Cup History

anil1405

I guess this thread was bound to be created sooner than latter and am not surprised by the fact that 1999 semi-final is the first thing being mentioned in this thread. I always feel sick when I watch this video or when someone mentions about how Proteas were so close yet so far. Still can't believe how they screwed it up.

However, it would be interesting to hear and know about some key and fascinating moments of the first 3-4 WC's.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Despite two world cup wins, I think Sachin's 98 v. Pakistan would be up there for most Indian fans. It's most definitely the peak of my ODI watching life. Tendulkar's 1993-2003 reign ending with the most glorious of all his knocks, if not his best.

BeeGee

Despite two world cup wins, I think Sachin's 98 v. Pakistan would be up there for most Indian fans. It's most definitely the peak of my ODI watching life. Tendulkar's 1993-2003 reign ending with the most glorious of all his knocks, if not his best.

OverratedSanity

**** that back foot punch he hit off Wasim where he held the elbow high is pure sex. Tbh every boundary he hit in that knock was sex. Batting artistry at its most beautiful and thrilling imo.

OverratedSanity

This thread needs footage of SA's chokes in 2007 and 2011. 2007 was especially hilarious. Kallis jumping a foot outside leg trying to hit McGrath out of the Caribbean just because Hayden called him a liability before the match = pure lol.

anil1405

Perhaps one aspect that might not be highly regarded when it comes to great moments in world cup history is the calmness shown by Aravinda de Silva in the semi-final and final of a WC. To come in when his team lost two wickets in the first over in semi-final and then when they lost two early wickets in the final and to score heaps of runs under pressure was immense. He later talked about being under no pressure and a matter of enjoying the sense of occasion. Not many batsmen would have done that.

People talk a lot about how Warne was instrumental in the semi-final and final of the 1999 WC but for a batsmen to do it under pressure (knowing all it takes is one delivery to be dismissed) is pure genius.

Niall

This thread needs footage of SA's chokes in 2007 and 2011. 2007 was especially hilarious. Kallis jumping a foot outside leg trying to hit McGrath out of the Caribbean just because Hayden called him a liability before the match = pure lol.

I can't find the run out of AB by Faf in 2011,where the NZ lads got in his face. It was Styris and Vettori who let him know his mistake. The JP Duminy innings was hilarious as well, if ever a man didn't fancy the scenario and was longing for minnow bashing it was him that day.

Also, Kevin O Brien smashing England was amazing.

fredfertang

The whole of the first one, from Sunny Gavaskar's go slow right through to Lillee and Thomson trying to run 25 to win the match

After that its attraction fell away from me, though still amazed the Zimbos win over Australia in 1983 isn't remembered more