• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group E (Super 8) - Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, England

grecian

Lumb's at least been striking at above 150. While he's done nothing substantial in terms of the number of runs he's scored, he's getting the team off to a very quick start, which is giving Pietersen and Morgan a platform to build from, instead of them building the platform themselves, so he's serving a purpose.
Yeah im not too convinced about their long term viability, but happy with the starts they've been giving us. I think they said today that we've averaged the most runs in the powerplay overs?
Yes, I did say that it all seems to be working ATM, I just don't think they'll be playing for us very long. Time will tell. I just think they're actually quite limited in stroke-play, oh and not impressed with CKs glovework, I really want Davies in there. They also seem to get dropped every innings, not sure their luck will hold.

Hurricane

Yeah well done England. How dare you get a good a limited overs team! Hope this doesn't carry over into 50 over format for our sake.

AaronK

U know i have a strange feeling that Pakistan might win this all.. lol

clearly the sort of luck they had in this tournment.. really matches the 92 world cup..

Xuhaib

U know i have a strange feeling that Pakistan might win this all.. lol

clearly the sort of luck they had in this tournment.. really matches the 92 world cup..
we face Aus in the semis even a blind folded Aussie team will make Pakistan their bitch I don't even bother watching Pak-Aus games any more.

AaronK

If you have watched the Aus matches in this tournment.. they have struggled against Spin..Pakistan should pack their team with spinners..They might have a chance here but Pak have to play extremly well as they have a score to settle against Aussies..

Xuhaib

If you have watched the Aus matches in this tournment.. they have struggled against Spin..Pakistan should pack their team with spinners..They might have a chance here but Pak have to play extremly well as they have a score to settle against Aussies..
a score?

Days of Grace

New Zealand lost last night's match due to the last four overs of their innings.

As I recall, we had 7 wickets in hand, with Styris and Taylor both going well. To lose both and only score 20 runs in the final four overs was what lost us the game.

That, and perhaps the fact that Pietersen was not in the team meant subconsciously we didn't go full throttle, thinking that 150 was enough. Not enough study was done of the other English batsmen, I feel. Understandable, considering that Lumb and Kiewettler (sp.?) are new to the scene.

But this Morgan fellow: he's a player.

EDIT: If Mills plays T20, get him to bowl his four overs straigtht at the top, or bring him back before the 16th over. He is not, and never will be, a good death bowler.

One more thought: Oram should have played ahead of Butler, who was rendered useless because of the conditions. A couple of Oram sixes at the end of the NZ innings would have done nicely.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One more thought: Oram should have played ahead of Butler, who was rendered useless because of the conditions. A couple of Oram sixes at the end of the NZ innings would have done nicely.
Oram should of played instead of Hopkins.
Agree with 3G here; if B McC took the gauntlets both Oram and Butler could've played and the bowling and batting would've both (IMHO, obv) been improved.

Judging by what Vettori (who strikes one as a diplomat by nature) said after the toss when asked about McCullum taking the gloves again "Hmm, well that ship has sailed. Brendan sees himself as a batsman now." I would imagine the management might've asked him to take over too.

Hurricane

New Zealand lost last night's match due to the last four overs of their innings.

As I recall, we had 7 wickets in hand, with Styris and Taylor both going well. To lose both and only score 20 runs in the final four overs was what lost us the game.

That, and perhaps the fact that Pietersen was not in the team meant subconsciously we didn't go full throttle, thinking that 150 was enough. Not enough study was done of the other English batsmen, I feel. Understandable, considering that Lumb and Kiewettler (sp.?) are new to the scene.

But this Morgan fellow: he's a player.

EDIT: If Mills plays T20, get him to bowl his four overs straigtht at the top, or bring him back before the 16th over. He is not, and never will be, a good death bowler.

Yeah I didn't see the game but I like this post. I was concerned about our attitude going into the game when I saw an interview last night. It was like we were thinking we had it won since they didn't have KP. I think it perversely may have been better for us if he had've played. Would have made us more fired up.

If we only scored 20 runs off the last 4 overs then that is criminal.

I noticed Sangakkara keeping in this tournament - I don't see what is so taxing about keeping for 20 overs and opening the batting. BTW for us to have won the tournament McCullum needed to have been at his very best. But he didn't even score one 50. Even today his 30 at run a ball isn't dashing enough compared to his high standards.

Everyone is saying that Pakistan is a fluke team. But we easily could have lost two matches that we won. Our selection policies regarding the keeper in particular need to be reviewed for future 20/20 affairs.

andyc

Will be gutted if England win a cricket world cup in my lifetime tbh, regardless of the format.