• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group F: Brazil, Croatia, Australia, Japan

The Foxtrot

Are you retarded marc.......i have looked at that foul several times over frame by frame...Neill did not lift himself into grosso, Neill ducked as the idiot went over the top

View attachment untitled.bmp

marc71178 said:
How is it an obvious scoring opportunity when there's a defender right next to him?
the defender wasnt goal side...he was the closest player to the goal hence a goal scoring opportunity....

Cloete

howardj said:
Well, with such a fantastic performance by our blokes it will be interesting to see how the game flowers here over the next four years. To my mind, the Socceroos will probably be right up there with our cricket team as our strongest supported national side. The World Cup has been a massive shot in the arm for the team itself.

However, a level down, I still think the A-League will struggle to draw big crowds and turn a profit. This is not down to the fact that the fare is poor, rather people are very discerning when it comes to their disposable income and spare time, and they are not disposed to spend either watching anything but the best players.

You can see that sort of principle played out with the Queensland Cup Rugby league competition; Reserve grade AFL or Rugby League; Pura Cup cricket - the games themselves are good quality but they're not patronised simply because people know the best players are not on show. Therefore, they're not profitable.

Finally, I think the World Cup will have a big impact on Junior numbers. I think many more kiddies may sign up. Though junior numbers, as I understand it, have never been much of a problem for soccer in Australia. Rather it's the retention of the kiddies, once they hit their teen years, that is the major problem. Hopefully kids this age are now inspired to be the next Harry Kewell; Tim Cahill etc. That they won't get to see these players too often is a bit problematic though.

All in all, a great show by our lads. And hopefully soccer - along with AFL; Union and League - is here to stay. Australians - Victorians excepted :p - have always been open enough to follow more than one sport at any one time. While we'll certainly embrace soccer a little more than what used to be the case, it won't pose a huge threat to any of the other codes in the forseeable future. They'll all happily continue to co-exist.
Maybe. But in 2005 the NRL average attendance was 17,300 to the A-League's 12000. That's a pretty good sign for the first season. It'll take a while to develop, afterall the Broncos did and they were beaten by the Roar's attendance on opening day. The Broncos opening game in the NRL at Lang attracted less than the Roar's.

Some Socceroos will be on their way home shortly and if we just buy smart we can create a very entertaining and, perhaps, high quality league. One thing's for suer, I can't wait for the A-League season. Pre-Season Cup starts soon :D

But you're right, I can definitely see patrons attending NRL, AFL and Football matches. Also the A-League is placed in cricket season and as such is not really in direct competition with the AFL and NRL. Anyway, football's on the up in Australia :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The Foxtrot said:
Are you retarded marc.......i have looked at that foul several times over frame by frame...Neill did not lift himself into grosso, Neill ducked as the idiot went over the top
Oh great more abuse from an Aussie for pointing out the ref was correct!

Neill did actually lift himself towards him - that picture actually shows the arm after he moved towards him.

The Foxtrot said:
the defender wasnt goal side...he was the closest player to the goal hence a goal scoring opportunity....
No, he wasn't - Zambrotta was right next to him and able to cut across - hence no direct goalscoring opportunity, hence yellow card.

James

Cricket Web Owner
If you guys can't discuss it without resorting to abuse and name calling, just stop it please.

Hoggy31

James said:
If you guys can't discuss it without resorting to abuse and name calling, just stop it please.
Someone's a bit disgruntled at New Zealand's sheer lack of WC qualification.

Craig

World Traveller
Or maybe because it is a breach of forum rules?

As for this whinge against Grosso for taking a dive, I doubt anybody else wouldn't have done the same thing if they are in that situation, you would be an idiot not to if you knew you would get a penalty, and I doubt any other Australian wouldn't have gone down.

Anyway this all hypocritical, had the boot been on the other foot and it was Craig Moore who beat Gigi Buffon instead it would have been all the Australian press waxing lyrical about 'great' this Australian team is and how they all sporting hero's, that is a fact, and is so if the Italians had protested, they would have been"sore losers", instead now om today's paper, a complete idiot for a writer (he has rubbished other sports without much fact in the past) went on about how Alberto Gilardino and Fabio Grosso's are actors pretending to be footballers, and the Serie A is full of actors.

What a rant buy somebody who know's nothing about the game, except get on the bandwagon, but I doubt could name the full Australian squad or even tell us what club Fabio Grosso is contracted to at the current moment.

Rant over.

Craig

World Traveller
Cloete said:
Maybe. But in 2005 the NRL average attendance was 17,300 to the A-League's 12000. That's a pretty good sign for the first season. It'll take a while to develop, afterall the Broncos did and they were beaten by the Roar's attendance on opening day. The Broncos opening game in the NRL at Lang attracted less than the Roar's.

Some Socceroos will be on their way home shortly and if we just buy smart we can create a very entertaining and, perhaps, high quality league. One thing's for suer, I can't wait for the A-League season. Pre-Season Cup starts soon :D

But you're right, I can definitely see patrons attending NRL, AFL and Football matches. Also the A-League is placed in cricket season and as such is not really in direct competition with the AFL and NRL. Anyway, football's on the up in Australia :)
Are you going to the Queensland Roar v Sydney FC friendly at Carrera in a few weeks time? It is on the 15th I think (all I know is that it is on a Saturday).

At this stage I'm going.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
How is Marc flame biating?

He is stating his opinion and what he believes in, and yet some members on here have trouble in keeping their emotions in check are the ones and have the nerve to call him a flame biater yet they are doing nothing wrong?

TBH if this keeps up it wouldn't surprise me if this thread has a very short life span.

FaaipDeOiad

Craig said:
How is Marc flame biating?

He is stating his opinion and what he believes in, and yet some members on here have trouble in keeping their emotions in check are the ones and have the nerve to call him a flame biater yet they are doing nothing wrong?

TBH if this keeps up it wouldn't surprise me if this thread has a very short life span.
Flame baiting is when you post something for the sole purpose of starting a fight, annoying people and so on. That's exactly what he's been doing ever since the Italy/Australia game. Straight after it, he logged on and made 10-15 consecutive posts across several different threads repeating the exact same things. It's not "expressing your opinion" when you don't offer any content except for a one-liner designed to annoy people.

Notice how practically everyone has told him to leave it alone and he's still doing it. It's called trolling, and people have been banned for it before.

And incidentally, it's not that the people who flame him in response are doing "nothing wrong", it's that the whole purpose of Marc's posts in the first place was to start fights. It's basically the equivalent of what Scallywag used to do in Cricket Chat every time England lost a match.

Craig

World Traveller
Well nobody is forced to respond to him, and responding with remarks telling him he is "retarded" and being told to "**** off" is doing something wrong despite what you might think.

And he is certaintly right about Materazzi's sending off, Inter bias or not, if he is not the last man and it wasn't a career ending one (look at Kevin Muscat or Roy Keane for examples), how is it a red card and not a yellow?

Anyway it is Australia's fault they lost, they should have converted their chances and should not invited Italy back into the game.

FaaipDeOiad

Craig said:
Well nobody is forced to respond to him, and responding with remarks telling him he is "retarded" and being told to "**** off" is doing something wrong despite what you might think.

And he is certaintly right about Materazzi's sending off, Inter bias or not, if he is not the last man and it wasn't a career ending one (look at Kevin Muscat or Roy Keane for examples), how is it a red card and not a yellow?

Anyway it is Australia's fault they lost, they should have converted their chances and should not invited Italy back into the game.
Nothing to do with the opinions expressed. Marc is entitled to think pigs fly if he wants to, but I believe CW is meant to be free of flame wars, and starting the same argument in a handful of different threads, posting 8 consecutive one line posts in the same thread all having a go at the same group of people and so on isn't expressing your opinion, it's trolling.

Anyway, I've reported the post, so I'm done with it now.

benchmark00

Craig said:

You're missing the whole point of what flame baiting is, Craigos.

howardj

Yeah threads are closed for showing Superman's crotch, but apparently folk like Marc are allowed to spew their deliberately inflammatory rubbish, unpunished. God help us if an Australian or South African was blatantly baiting people from other countries.

Cloete

Craig said:
Are you going to the Queensland Roar v Sydney FC friendly at Carrera in a few weeks time? It is on the 15th I think (all I know is that it is on a Saturday).

At this stage I'm going.
No. Hopefully the pre-season cup is on Fox because none of the games are in Brisbane for the Roar.

I'll go to just about every Roar home game during the A-League season though.

And I'd expect nothing less than for you to go! ;)