• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group G: France, Switzerland, South Korea, Togo

steds

TT Boy said:
To be fair too Fabien, France were still in the mire when Coupet was behind the sticks.
There's the answer. They should try standing between them.

Steulen

TT Boy said:
Well at least France’s qualification is still seemingly in their own hands. The sole objective against Togo will be goals, if the French can score a hatful which considering the strife Togo are in (and even with the discord in French camp). It is not too hard to foresee them progressing.
Yes. If Switzerland beat Togo tonight, France are still sure of qualifying if they themselves beat Togo by 2 goals or more.

Scaly piscine

FaaipDeOiad said:
There's nothing wrong with parts of Scaly's argument... Henry has underachieved at international level when compared to his club performances. However, his record in major tournaments is pretty good, especially when you consider that his side have only scored one World Cup goal since 1998, and he scored it. His club performances are obviously top notch and have been for some time, and his record in internationals isn't really that bad, it's just average rather than sensational.

The thing that makes Scaly's argument absurd is how ridiculously over the top he goes with it. Giving him a derogatory nickname and carrying on every time he misses a chance as if he's the worst striker on earth is idiotic, and funnily enough it's the same thing he does with Sven. I wonder why that could be...
If I did I'd have a lot more than 6000odd posts. As I've said before if he'd stayed as (wide) midfielder he'd have been a good international player, but he just doesn't have the bottle or nerve against top sides, clutch situations and so forth. The chance he passed almost straight at the keeper late on against South Korea is typical of what happens when there's a lot riding on it - if that chance was at 2 or 3 nil he'd have likely scored. I don't particularly like Owen but when he is at his best he takes the odd chance he gets (he's also a pretty good header of the ball actually), all the best teams have had someone like this (only better obviously) - you get to a point with these players where you just don't expect them to miss when they get a good chance, look at the business end of World Cups over the years and you'll not see many good chances, but they're nearly always taken - that's what relegates chief to just being a solid international player.

As for the hypocritical whining about using nicknames... now that's ridiculous. Van Nosedive, horse, gooners, Manure etc. - never see those on every page do we... I just nickname people and teams on what they actually are. The vegetable is perfectly adequate exaggeration of his ability as a manager and the way he acts. Chief poseur is one of the biggest posers in football and he's captain so where's the problem?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
In the Switzerland v Togo game, if the African team get a rocket from the manager at half time, would that be Togo Stick?

FaaipDeOiad

Important second goal for Switzerland, means they qualify automatically with a draw against South Korea.

Togo were the better side in the first half for me, but they dropped away badly and the better team won in the end. Togo have plenty of talent going forward though, I can see them scoring against France.

Matteh

I can seriously see France not qualifying...

They should beat Togo, but Togo are capable of getting a draw, which puts France out. Even if France win, a draw in the other match makes things very hard for them.

Scaly piscine

GeraintIsMyHero said:
If the other game's a draw, and France win by 2, France and Switzerland go through
Yep, just as well for France that it goes to goal difference now (firstly) instead of results between teams - a convenient high scoring draw (2-2 or better) would have put France out regardless as I think happened to Italy.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
sledger said:
condolences to him for that, cant be nice living with that sort of contstand reminder, but he is another one who has looked distinctly unimpressive.
He did actually provide some spark when he came on.

FaaipDeOiad

Mixed feelings about South Korea's misfortune. They could have got a draw, and for mine the second goal shouldn't have stood. Technically the referee made the correct decision, but the linesman put up his flag and the Korean defenders stopped, expecting a free kick. Had the flag not gone up and they kept coming after Frei, he might not have been able to score.

Anyway, I don't like them much, and they got plenty of favours from the referees last time anyway, so I won't shed a tear.

Switzerland finishing on top means we have the worst second round match by far between them and Ukraine, with the winner facing Italy or Australia. Nice draw for us, if we get through.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Mixed feelings about South Korea's misfortune. They could have got a draw, and for mine the second goal shouldn't have stood. Technically the referee made the correct decision, but the linesman put up his flag and the Korean defenders stopped, expecting a free kick. Had the flag not gone up and they kept coming after Frei, he might not have been able to score.

Anyway, I don't like them much, and they got plenty of favours from the referees last time anyway, so I won't shed a tear.

Switzerland finishing on top means we have the worst second round match by far between them and Ukraine, with the winner facing Italy or Australia. Nice draw for us, if we get through.
Play to the whistle. Second thing all kids are taught after "if in doubt, put it out".

Draw has opened up for Oz tho. If you can wrestle a result out of Italy you do have a very sporting chance of a semi. I was rooting for you to qualify, but a semi spot might severely test my new found love... :p