• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to prepare yourself for bouncy wicket ?

Thirdman1

Banned
I have heard various theories. But one that i remember is Tendulkar despite lack of genuine quick bowlers in India, uses this 15 yard technique where he would bat 15 yard from bowler as against 22 yards. He would practice with wet Tennis ball to practice that. I am not even sure if these guys adopt any kind of practice to negotiate short stuffs. Even if you don't score you should be able to leave it comfortably.

Another technique is having a throw down from someone in different areas and different heights to improve the reflex. It is generally a responsibility of coach. Kirsten has to step in big time here.
This is getting beyond joke now.

I mean what is Kirsten doing as coach.

Migara

Play on a matting wicket against your own bowlers.

That's how Aravinda de Silva became so good with hook, pull and cut. His school only had matting wickets by 1980.

Burgey

Attend academy. Crank bowling machine to 90 mph. Tip machine down so facing half way down pitch. Put helmet on. Pray.

Repeat until proficient.

In the fair dinkum stakes though, throw downs aren't bad. Have seen the Test guys work on their short-ball techniques this way. And it can be worked on - Hayden had problems with it early, but went away and just worked his arse off on the problem. Came back a fine player of the short ball.

Did enjoy the look on Raina's face the other night after he top edged the first one for four. All due respect to the kid, he did not want to be there.

But these guys are talented players. If they work on it they can overcome the problems they have with it. Part of that would be to get over the macho idea that you have to take the short stuff on all the time. You'd don't, as Steve Waugh demonstrated.

Still, confess I'm hoping the WACA is back to its glory days when India next tours.

Thirdman1

Banned
Attend academy. Crank bowling machine to 90 mph. Tip machine down so facing half way down pitch. Put helmet on. Pray.

Repeat until proficient.

In the fair dinkum stakes though, throw downs aren't bad. Have seen the Test guys work on their short-ball techniques this way. And it can be worked on - Hayden had problems with it early, but went away and just worked his arse off on the problem. Came back a fine player of the short ball.

Did enjoy the look on Raina's face the other night after he top edged the first one for four. All due respect to the kid, he did not want to be there.

But these guys are talented players. If they work on it they can overcome the problems they have with it. Part of that would be to get over the macho idea that you have to take the short stuff on all the time. You'd don't, as Steve Waugh demonstrated.

Still, confess I'm hoping the WACA is back to its glory days when India next tours.]
Tendulkar and Sehwag would still be in the team.

Sir Alex

Banned
Yeah it is correctable.

In fact everything in cricket is correctable, but nothing will happen because you've your national captain writing it off as a problem endemic to us.

Bring on more flat tracks. Why waste time on something trivial as correcting one's technique when one can use that time for more ad engagements?

When one encounters such wicket, why bother to turn up? Why embarrass with batting displays that would put even novices to shame? Please Dhoni, when next time you encounter such a pitch, and 150 k bowlers at the other end, just forfeit it, and save us the blushes.

Anyway we fans are bunch of retards who'll forget it as if it never happened, with the next 200plus score on a road, no matter who the opposition are.

Why bother about planning to win in Aus and SA, as long as you're assured of No.1 rankings just because the rankings system is such a **** up? Or when you've Sachin and Dravid to prop you up in such instances anyways?

All izz well with Indian cricket right? As long as we get to laugh at our neighbour's misfortunes, why bother to look at ourselves?

Last edited:

Burgey

Tendulkar and Sehwag would still be in the team.
Sehwag for sure, Tendlukar, who knows? Will be a couple years older too if he is.

Will be interesting. I hope he tours again. Got a top reception here last time when people thought it was his last tour. If he gets back this time then would be his last tour for sure and there would be an even bigger reception I think.

Sir Alex

Banned
Sehwag for sure, Tendlukar, who knows? Will be a couple years older too if he is.

Will be interesting. I hope he tours again. Got a top reception here last time when people thought it was his last tour. If he gets back this time then would be his last tour for sure and there would be an even bigger reception I think.
18 more months. I hope he'll continue the same form. I hope he'll break the record for oldest test centurian since 1950.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Sachin comes to Australia AGAIN I will go to every day of every test match in this country.

I thought his last tour was his last.

vcs

Thought the Perth wicket was pretty good last time India toured. There was a little bit there for everyone, and the technically solid Indian batsmen like Dravid, Sachin and Laxman did well.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would love for the old WACA wicket to make a comeback. It's Test cricket, learn2adapt. People bitching about pitches is the one thing that pisses me above all else. Aside from the usual whinging about subcontinental wickets when their lack of skills are exposed, the subcontinental fans still bitch about NZ wickets in 2002-2003 tour. Deal with it, the conditions were the same for both teams, one team played better. If you don't like it, go play some hit and giggle BS.

Old WACA wicket was one of the highlights of any tour IMO, what's the point of every pitch being 'good for fast bowlers early, settling down days 2-3, then offering turn for spinners'. That's about as yawn inducing as it gets (almost, not quite as yawn inducing as wickets where you shut your eyes, plonk your front foot down and swing away to a 50+ average).

Last edited:

Thirdman1

Banned
I would love for the old WACA wicket to make a comeback. It's Test cricket, learn2adapt. People bitching about pitches is the one thing that pisses me above all else. Aside from the usual whinging about subcontinental wickets when their lack of skills are exposed, the subcontinental fans still bitch about NZ wickets in 2002-2003 tour. Deal with it, the conditions were the same for both teams, one team played better. If you don't like it, go play some hit and giggle BS.

Old WACA wicket was one of the highlights of any tour IMO, what's the point of every pitch being 'good for fast bowlers early, settling down days 2-3, then offering turn for spinners'. That's about as yawn inducing as it gets (almost, not quite as yawn inducing as wickets where you shut your eyes, plonk your front foot down and swing away to a 50+ average).
Stop writing rubbish. No one crossed 200 runs in the entire series. And then be prepared for Kanpur and Mumbai type of pitch as well. Don't cry and go to match refree

Thirdman1

Banned
Welcome to Test cricket. It's supposed to test different skills.

Those pitches were fine too.
Really ICC asked India to stop preparing those pitches :laugh::laugh:
And NZ didn't play better than India in that series.
Win the toss and win the match in ODIS. And in test had Srinath bothered to play, India could have easily rolled on NZ . Zaheer was the main bowler and he bowled well and he lacked a support fast bowler.

Srinath was the best bowler in ODI series

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Really ICC asked India to stop preparing those pitches
ICC asked for an explanation because the match ref complained. The match ref bought into the idiocy that good for pace = good, and good for spin = bad. And ICC are stupid. Paper pushing idiots.

And NZ didn't play better than India in that series.
Win the toss and win the match in ODIS. And in test had Srinath bothered to play, India could have easily rolled on NZ . Zaheer was the main bowler and he bowled well and he lacked a support fast bowler.

Srinath was the best bowler in ODI series
Don't care or want to care what happened to ODIs. Don't really want to argue who played better. One team won, the pitches were fine. End of story.

Last edited:

Burgey

I think I just want to see variety in pitches. If every pitch bounced and moved deluxe it would get boring too. Same when the majority are roads or if they all broke up and spun.

As SS said, it's test cricket, different conditions is what It should be about imo.

Sir Alex

Banned
What really happened to old Perth pitch? I remember it being called during it's and West Indies' glory days. But of late it's just another flat track with reasonable bounce. Was it deliberately made mellow or weather factors made it so?

Burgey

What really happened to old Perth pitch? I remember it being called during it's and West Indies' glory days. But of late it's just another flat track with reasonable bounce. Was it deliberately made mellow or weather factors made it so?
Think it just got old and slowed down mate.

Sadly, a familiar feeling for some of us :ph34r:

Top_Cat

Has been dug up multiple times over the years and apparently the soil used has progressively been lower in clay. Can't blame the dry weather, Perth is always bloody dry. Pretty sure the WACA Test in '97 where Greg Blewett was bowled by Ambrose by an impossible grubber helped hasten changes in the pitch, especially after they sacked the curator.