• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Champions Trophy should be split into two

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:
but surely 8 best one day teams would provide the best competition

OH.... And the World Cup shoiuld be 16 teams therefore every team as something to play for
I agree with this last - 16 teams of 4 groups of 4 are the best option IMO - slip-ups are less likely to happen, and the best all play each other once the Super Eight is completed. And the weak can make a quick exit, while still being given something to aspire to.
IMO the same should be done with the Champions Trophy and this year's format was the best AFAIAC. We should keep it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It is 16 in 2007 isn't it?

That should still boil down to 2 teams obviously going through from each group (meaning it'll be easy enough to pick before it starts)

What I would've liked to see is a plate for the ones that don't go through - now that IMO is the way to get the minnows playing the game at a standard they can cope with more readily.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a possibility - but I'd hate to see a Plate going on at the same time as the Super Eight-semis. It would distract from the Plate almost completely.
As of yet, from what I've heard, the plan is indeed for 16 teams, 4 groups, in 2007 - which should see Australia, England, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies go through to the Super Eight. It also means each would have to play just 2 farce-games, ensuring less chance of slipping-up and allowing the substandard sides to make a quicker, more dignified exit than in 2003. It would also mean all play all, and we reach the serious stuff quicker.
A good format - I wait in hope.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The Top Eight then go through to the Super Eights, which will be some fantastic cricket with every game mattering.

And when Norway reach the ICC Trophy, they may claim to be on a level with Gibraltar, but I'll grant you Norway onto that list having made the ECC Second Division. Belgium's juniors are improving - and Norway's are nowhere.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
The Top Eight then go through to the Super Eights, which will be some fantastic cricket with every game mattering.

And when Norway reach the ICC Trophy, they may claim to be on a level with Gibraltar, but I'll grant you Norway onto that list having made the ECC Second Division. Belgium's juniors are improving - and Norway's are nowhere.
I reckon they do exist (heck, there's a 14-year-old Norwegian in another forum who claims he plays cricket)...it's just that sending people of that age on trips to Austria and Italy takes a fairly big chunk out of the federation's budget, which is close to zero.

Besides, there used to be no qualification for the ICC Trophy - it was just a tournament for Associates. Norway trounced Gibraltar, if you care to look up the results ( http://www.eurodiv2.org )

(ah well, why am I arguing for a bunch of Pakistanis with very little tie to my country anyway? ;))

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
It's a possibility - but I'd hate to see a Plate going on at the same time as the Super Eight-semis. It would distract from the Plate almost completely.
It would do, but it would also give these Cricketers something to play for and I imagine it could be quite competitive.

It wouldn't have to adopt an all play all thing, but maybe 2 groups of 4 and a final. It'd just be something to get them playing more meaningful games.