• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

INDIA,clearly seemed to lift the trophy.

centurymaker

In such a short tournament, it's hardly about which team is strong and which team is not.

As always it boils down to who can perform better on the day! Therefore any team can win. Even England can be beaten if their opposition have a great day or they themselves have an ordinary day.

The strength of the teams is less of a factor.

Burgey

Don't you ever, EVER say "Even England can be beaten" as though they're good at anything. Ever.

harsh.ag

As always it boils down to who can perform better on the day! Therefore any team can win. Even England can be beaten if their opposition have a great day or they themselves have an ordinary day.
Don't you ever, EVER say "Even England can be beaten" as though they're good at anything. Ever.
Seriously, ranked number 5 in the world and fans talk like they are Australia 2007.

91Jmay

Lol when you compare Top 3 batsmen in LO Cricket today, first you start with India, then you have daylight, then Australia/South Africa/England. Roy/Hales have been smashing it for what just over 2 years now? Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli have been the backbone of that side for double that time, won a major trophy and made Semis of another during that time. Experience and career stats triumph over current flavour of the month.

Their batting never went out of first gear and looked like sleep walking at times and still ended up with 324. You're writing off a quality side with the track record to prove it for some inexplicable reasons.
No way Dhawan is better than Hales. Kohli being in top 3 makes their top 3 better than anyone's probably (although I'd very seriously considering SA) but lets not go over board.

Daemon

I think on current form Hales is better. Hard to use numbers here because Dhawan's only played 10 ODIs in the last year and a half, but Hales has played a lot of matchwinning knocks.

91Jmay

Dhawan is a good player but he isn't as destructive as Hales and Hales is still pretty consistent. Sharma/Dhawan is a better opening pairing though, for sure.

Black_Warrior

Well I wasn't thinking of a player by player comparison but more as a combined top 3.

If we look at the top 3 of the top 4 teams today

South Africa QDK AmlaFaf
AustraliaWarnerFinch/Head/Khawaja (?)Smith
IndiaRohitDhawanKohli
EnglandRoyHalesRoot

Warner is the best ODI opener in the world today but as a combined top 3, I would pick India based on their credentials and record over a period of time.

As a player v player assessment, I think Dhawan just edges Hales (even after giving weight to current form)

Black_Warrior

Indian Journalist to Angelo Matthews "Do you think there is a clear difference between India and the rest of the Asian teams in this tournament"?
Angelo Matthews: "No."

What a guy.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well I wasn't thinking of a player by player comparison but more as a combined top 3.

South Africa QDK AmlaFaf
IndiaRohitDhawanKohli
EnglandRoyHalesRoot

Warner is the best ODI opener in the world today but as a combined top 3, I would pick India based on their credentials and record over a period of time.

As a player v player assessment, I think Dhawan just edges Hales (even after giving weight to current form)
Finch looks so out of place in that list of names.

Burgey

More relevantly though, after they lifted the trophy, did the authorities catch India and make them give it back?

CricAddict

South Africa QDK AmlaFaf
IndiaRohitDhawanKohli
EnglandRoyHalesRoot

These names are so good. 90% of these players will end up as ATGs at the end of their career, either in just ODIs or overall.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Will they bollocks. There's 14 names there which only 1 or 2 won't be according to you.

At most there's 6 or 7 who will be ATGs in that list and that's assuming that they continue/improve their current form.

honestbharani

I am assuming he meant everyone except Roy and 2nd Aussie opener. Although I personally dont really see how Faf can be an ATG in ODIs.