• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Inzy and Shoaib" - Exam Question

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I was busy preparing some work this week, when I stumbled across this gem of a question from Winchester College's 2008 Entrance paper. Winchester is one of the UK's most prestigious (and academically exacting) boarding schools with a strong cricketing pedigree, counting Douglas Jardine, Hubert Doggart and the Nawab of Pataudi amongst alumni.

Inzy and Shoaib both have identical cakes.

Inzy decides to eat a fifth of his cake. He then eats a quarter of what remains, then a third of what remains, then a half of what remains. He then leaves the last piece.

Shoaib, on the other hand, eats half of his pie, then a third of what remains, then a quarter of what remains, then a fifth of what remains. He hangs on to the last piece.

What fraction of cake do they each have left?

[10 marks]

Please show full working.

fredfertang

Without writing anything down I've come up with one fifth each, but is Inzy really going to leave it on the plate?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Must've been a rather large cake for either of those gentlemen to leave 20% of it.

abmk

I was busy preparing some work this week, when I stumbled across this gem of a question from Winchester College's 2008 Entrance paper. Winchester is one of the UK's most prestigious (and academically exacting) boarding schools with a strong cricketing pedigree, counting Douglas Jardine, Hubert Doggart and the Nawab of Pataudi amongst alumni.

Inzy and Shoaib both have identical cakes.

Inzy decides to eat a fifth of his cake. He then eats a quarter of what remains, then a third of what remains, then a half of what remains. He then leaves the last piece.

Shoaib, on the other hand, eats half of his pie, then a third of what remains, then a quarter of what remains, then a fifth of what remains. He hangs on to the last piece.

What fraction of cake do they each have left?

[10 marks]

Please show full working.
Inzy has 1/5th of the cake left .....

Shoaib has full cake left. Refer to part in bold ....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How and why did the cake become a pie?

Prestigious school my ass.

Last edited: