• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL > Twenty20 WC?

Which tournament do you prefer?

• Total voters

Shri

Got to say, T20 games are 100 times more fun without the strategy break. Funny thing is, teams have lost momentum anyway after the 10th over without the break in the WC.:laugh:

grecian

World Cup for me by miles. Don't like the franchise-thing and all the hullabooloo about slebs I'd never heard of, reminded me of Big brother, TBH.

The strategy break was just hideous too.

I think if I was Indian I'd of preferred IPL though, as I'd know all the characters on-and-off the pitch, if I could cheer on A James Hildreth or Michael Munday competing against the best in the world, I'd enjoy that.

King Pietersen

I watched both (well, just over half of the IPL) and for me it's the T20 WC every time. No ridiculous annoying 'DLF MAXIMUM'S' and no awful strategic time out half way through the innings to ruin the game. The standard of cricket's higher, and it's been far more exciting than the massively overkilled IPL. 1 other key factor, no bloody Ronnie Irani giving his bull**** opinions in the studio. He single handedly put me off watching the last half of the IPL. Such an annoying human being.

R_D

IPL had better cheerleaders. :ph34r:
haha yeah that should put IPL ahead a little...

retarded commentators and DLF Maximum and city moment of success counter balance that factor :p

Enjoyed world T20 more because after a while IPL just seemed drag on for too long and wasn't as exciting as the first season..... i'm sure being back in India... it'll be much better.

Naumaan

IPL had better cheerleaders. :ph34r:
but didn't they show cheerleaders more than the replay of a wicket or a six or a boundry hit?
Showing them once in 5 overs is ok but not after every hit, it gets boring honestly

four_or_six

No, There are many reasons why IPL is better than T20.

1. It allows some of the players who are either forced to retire or not picked for reasons best known to respective boards to be still part of the game. I so want Wasim Akram to join Chennai SuperKings and show the world that he could be an abolute king of the bowlers in another format even at this age. For me the best part of IPL was watching Hayden demolish the bowlers, something I am forced to miss in Official T20.

2. It gives a chance to players like Gilchrist/Warne to show their leadership skills, something our Cricket Administrators never allowed us to witness in last 20 years.

3. It brings accountability, If you do not perform you are fired, VVS Laxman was removed from captaincy, so were Dravid and Ganguly. John Buchanan is gone and that makes it a lot more competitive.

I can think of more reasons when I have time..
I find that too many retired stars makes it more of a 'fun' tournament than a serious one. I guess seeing Hayden is good, but at his own admission, it was retiring that gave him the mental freedom to play that way.

I have a feeling that Cricket Administrators did allow us to see Gilchrist's leadership skills. Didn't he preside over Australia's first test tour win in India in many years? A tour that was probably longer than the IPL, too.

And I think players are dropped/fired if they don't play well in both the IPL and the T20. Although granted, the IPL is probably more ruthless as long-term building of the team is irrelevant as there is a new auction after three years. Therefore development of a player's career isn't so important.

four_or_six

Oh yeah, other reasons for T20WC:

- Pakistani players! Some of the best T20 players unable to play in the IPL for now and maybe for the forseeable future. (I think they're also not in the Champions Leagues this autumn)

- We get to see Mendis playing rather than Moises Henriques!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For some reason I've enjoyed the IPL so much more than the two T20 world championships. I honestly can't put my finger on it, logic should dictate that with so many better players and without Indian filler the International stuff should be a lot more enjoyable. But for me at least, it hasn't been and I personally find the IPL a lot more engrossing.

Is it just me or does anyone else (that has watched enough of both tournaments) feel the same way?
1. I think the standard of cricket is obviously much higher here in the WC. However, it's downsides are that it is too short and there is no buildup to the semi final and finals. People who've talked to me on MSN know that I didn't even watch the India games, except tuning in for a few balls here and there. It didn't capture my attention because it wasn't long enough to build any excitement. The standard is excellent, but if they made it four weeks instead of two, I'd have enjoyed it. Obviously the poll suggests that my opinions are in the minority so perhaps the ICC have done it right.
2. Warne, Hayden, Gilchrist, Symonds for Australia, guys like Kumble for India are head and shoulders above many people playing. So while the overall standard is higher, I'd have loved to see the Haydens and the Gilchrists and Warnes - all of whom are clearly better than anyone in the Aussie side right now, be in. Aussie lineup in this WC didn't do anything for me. Same thing with the Indian line up. :yawn: I want to see the best of the best even if the overall standard is lower.

With that said, with a few minor changes, WC could certainly be a much superior competition. Actually, what I really want to see is that Champions League. If that takes hold, I would be very excited for it, and would prefer to either the WC or the IPL.

Sanz

- Pakistani players! Some of the best T20 players unable to play in the IPL for now and maybe for the forseeable future.
T20 >>> Tests then ? Because it has been a while since we have seen Pakistani players play Test matches.

AaronK

i will take international cricket 100 times over IPL..

No mater how much they try to be competative.. in my opinion IPL could never ever be as competative as

ret

I haven't watched a full game in the WC yet except for the Eng vs Ind which was like a knock out game for Ind .... on the other hand, I tried to watch as many games I could in IPL

slugger

the champions league will change everyones opinion, in the end. because that'll make the tournments to compete in that league, more interesting so the epl,ipl and the soon to be launch spl will take on a whole new compitative challenge never seen before in cricket at a fanchise/domestic level...

pup11

I enjoyed both the IPL's a lot more than the T20 WC, and the reason behind is it simple, IPL is not just about cricket, its a complete entertainment package, as there is so much else going on beyond cricket, its also fun to follow your favorite cricketers from the past and see them doing well, having said that the level of cricket that has been played in both the IPL's have been top notch, and eventually that has been the prime reason, why IPL has been such big success.

Of course one also feels more involved in the IPL, if you follow one of the teams passionately, and its no surprise that my interest in the IPL season 2 diminished the moment the Royals were knocked out.

To me it is IPL. I enjoyed it much more. Not sure exactly why. I was just totally engrossed even though I'm not an Indian and did not support any of the IPL teams. I'm also enjoying T20 WC but not as much. May be after one month of IPL I got little jaded with T20.

four_or_six

T20 >>> Tests then ? Because it has been a while since we have seen Pakistani players play Test matches.
Nope, for me T20 = tests in terms of the enjoyment I get out of them, although I enjoy them in different ways.

And it's not that long since Pakistan played tests, and it's not long until they will do so again, anyway. Though yes, it would be better if they played more.

For me, IPL is going a bit like the Premiership football, and the WC like the world cup. IPL is about how much money you have, and includes absolutely loads of posturing and oneupmanship. The world cup is about talent and is more about the actual play.

duffer

IPL 1 and T20WC 1 were class tournaments. Both second editions have been pretty mediocre for mine.

Xuhaib

IPL 1 and T20WC 1 were class tournaments. Both second editions have been pretty mediocre for mine.
I feel quality of cricket in this addition has been better then the first one. The bowling has been just outstanding Gul,Ajmal,Afridii,Malinga,Mendis,Murali,Steyn and Parnell have just givin the best exhibition of T-20 bowling you could ever wish to see.

pasag

RTDAS
I so want Wasim Akram to join Chennai SuperKings and show the world that he could be an abolute king of the bowlers in another format even at this age.
Do you really think so at 43 being out of top level cricket for 5+ years already? Would certainly be interesting.