• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland Thread

anil1405

Squad:
Andrew Balbirnie, Peter Chase, Alex Cusack, George Dockrell, Ed Joyce, Andrew McBrine, John Mooney, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien (wk), William Porterfield (capt), Max Sorensen, Paul Stirling, Stuart Thompson, Gary Wilson (wk), Craig Young.

A strong and experienced batting unit with a decent bowling attack. Their chances of progressing in the tournament depend on how the pace trio of Young, Mooney and Cusack perform. George Dockrell would be handy in any condition and on pitches that assist him he would be the key man for Ireland.

Four players i.e. John Mooney, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien and skipper William Porterfield would be playing their third world cup.

While there are expectations that Ireland might upset a test playing nation in the group stages, consistency over their 6 group games holds the key. With their participation in next two world cup's not certain, Ireland would want to go hard in this world cup.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I think they've got the ninth best batting lineup in these conditions ahead of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh but Ireland's bowling attack definitely isn't what it was. Young is good when he's fit but Mooney and Cusack have declined as bowlers and their better bowlers from the past -- Johnston, Langford-Smith and Rankin -- are no longer around. They've got a reasonable OD attack for slow tracks but I reckon they could get belted a couple of times here.

anil1405

Ireland's hope I guess would rely on a strategy where Mooney and Cusack bowl within their limitations and maintain a tight line & length while Young can go all out from the other end. Thats their best case scenario.

But Young being young and inexperienced at international stage, it might be a case of asking too much from him.

brockley

Cusack is a must not, had an awful T20 world cup,smashed by the minnows especially Holland.
Shown nothing in the series against the minnows recently,more in on captains' pick that of Phil Simmons that he can relive past glories.
Chase is a must creates bounce at a fair click,maybe a Tremain inspired choice here and in NZ.
If they want someone who bats a bit Sorensen bats just as well as Cusack atm,and hes' faster.

brockley

Lost to Randwick Petersham today,hope more an abberation on their part.
Need to get their bowling order worked out.

brockley

Smashed by Scotland,need a good look at themselves.

They need 5 bowlers that can take wkts,and the batsmen need to pull their finger out.